The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Missed the game yesterday as was running a race for the Scottish masters down in Nuneaton. The race was just after 4 o'clock. Myself and Big Chris, who was running the 35s age group, and me running the 50s are both big Buddies, and were checking the phone during warm up right up to the race start. 2-0 as we started, Chris comments (Elvis like) "It'll be 2 -2 by the time we finish". Finished the race, exchanged pleasantries with our English and Welsh opponents, checked the phone and it's 2-2. Did my cool down in a total strop, not wanting to check the phone again in case Hibs had scored a winner. Looked at the phone with one eye when I got back and it's oor man Grieve who has the winner. Think I woke up half of Nuneaton with my roar :) Good old Saints, even put you through the mire when you aren't there. Brilliant lads :)

Edited by Marko van Haddock

48 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Check out the difference in pace between Hanlon and Olusanya after the through ball. 

Can't remember us scoring a goal like that last season. TO, if he keeps to that form, will terrorise some of the lumbering defenders in this league. Big Joe, I'm sure, will be delighted if Mandron returns on Saturday.

Olusanya has medals as a sprinter he had the choice to take up athletics or football the rest is history as they say. 

7 hours ago, Torfason said:

What’s the deal with the Ultras balaclava pish yesterday? 

They are/will give the club a bad name. They were going to attack me and a mate until they realised we were Saints fans. My mate is 67 with breathing problems I'm 64. Reported them to the club. Noticed we have balaclavas banned from the SMISA stadium now. 

13 hours ago, Drooper said:

As unexpected as our winner might have been at the time, it was nowhere near as unexpected as Michael Stewart agreeing with the penalty award!

Aye but If we had been playing the other half of Edinburgh I am sure he would have been using the usual "Never a penalty in a million years". 

34 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

They are/will give the club a bad name. They were going to attack me and a mate until they realised we were Saints fans. My mate is 67 with breathing problems I'm 64. Reported them to the club. Noticed we have balaclavas banned from the SMISA stadium now. 

They were also supposedly banned for the away day. Was anything done about it?

https://www.stmirren.com/away-matchday-information/5063-away-day-info-hibernian-v-st-mirren-6th-aug

59 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Third billing on site after free entry to NZ U17 game and WWC crowds on track to average over 24,000 in NZ but first one with a video.

https://www.friendsoffootballnz.com/2023/08/07/video-all-whites-striker-alex-grieve-scores-winner-as-scottish-season-starts/

Was at the USA v Portugal group match held in Auckland. 42,956 attendance. Higher than the opening game featuring NZ.  Shame that the game was a 0-0 shitfest.

2 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Why were they going to attack you ? I've seen these guys any away game I've been at and have never seen them randomly attack anyone never mind oap's not wearing ultra gear (unless you were 😅). You seem to have been down on them from day 1. Yes pyro etc is for choobs but randomly attacking elderly strangers doesn't add up to me. There would be little or no atmosphere without them.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Why were they going to attack you ? I've seen these guys any away game I've been at and have never seen them randomly attack anyone never mind oap's not wearing ultra gear (unless you were 😅). You seem to have been down on them from day 1. Yes pyro etc is for choobs but randomly attacking elderly strangers doesn't add up to me. There would be little or no atmosphere without them.

To be fair, I don't really lump them as one group anymore. The group that were set up 6 or so years ago by young lads in their late teens and early 20s are all pushing mid to late 20s now.

There is an undoubted element of total wee fucknugget that hangs about in or on the edges of the group though, that much is without doubt. I walk towards Ferguslie Avenue after every home game and you always hear smatterings of discussion in passing from wee guys 15-20 years old who are discussing trying to find away supporters to go after.

Thought the shape was interesting yesterday. When I saw the line up I expected McMenamin to play up top with Toyosi in the standard 3-5-2 but him and Kiltie ended up flanking T in a 3-4-3.

Did not see us being that brave away from home but it worked a treat. The press from those front three was absolutely relentless and Hibs did not like it one bit.

50 minutes ago, Drooper said:

The BBC have surpassed themselves here....

First off, we won! Second, a team can't snatch a point in a "5 goal thriller".  Third, they haven't included the winner in the fucking highlights!

image.jpeg

They are so inept you’d actually think they are deliberately at it. 🤣

27 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

They are so inept you’d actually think they are deliberately at it. 🤣

Pretty sure they had the match report up initially saying Brophy got fouled for the penalty!