The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

6 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

I’m much more concerned that Strain will be moving south in the next couple of weeks.

This is the big fear for sure.

Ofcourse we could get someone else in but as we saw with Small, having big potential doesn't beat being already a very good player at this level.

His assists and goals as well as how he defends, that's a lot for us to replace at short notice.

4 minutes ago, Div said:

I'd think that would be too rich for them to be fair and also assume Keanu has his sights on England, so hopefully it won't come to that.

I definitely don't expect him to be with us when the transfer window closes. He's an absolute steal at £300K.

Does anyone know for absolute certain that this is the figure or is it just a number that's been plucked out the thin air.

3 minutes ago, elvis said:

Does anyone know for absolute certain that this is the figure or is it just a number that's been plucked out the thin air.

No one on here knows. Only the select few on the Board, the player and his agent and those at Bolton.

Don't be surprised if Bolton come back in for him too.

Edited by medals

6 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Has the Baccus to Aberdeen chat just been started on here? Because I can't see a mention of it anywhere else?

Nothing in it other than putting 2+2 together after Ramadani left.

Baccus is a pretty similar player IMO.

Aberdeen fans have been talking about Baccus. If we like it or not Aberdeen are a bigger club. They have more cash for wages etc. 

I dont expect any of our Aussie players to still be at the club come the 1st of September.  

However I do expect Robbo to unearth a couple of gems to replace them. 

Interesting days ahead. As long as we emerge stronger then so be it. 

1 hour ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

That's very decent of you, pal. I wouldn't take this place too seriously. If everyone agreed all the time it would be a pretty boring place to visit. I'm just here to get news, views and wind up the opposition.

I have been a very grateful recipient if this kindness, so can absolutely confirm.

Thinking about it, I very much doubt Aberdeen would be interested in Baccus.

They know they'll need to pay a fee, and likely get locked into a sell on clause. What's more, with Baccus gaining notoriety from his WC exploits and some decent domestic press coverage it is likely that other clubs would come in should Aberdeen (or us) make any interest public. If there was a chance he'd go to Aberdeen I fully expect Bolton to take interest again.

For me, if Robson wants a replacement for Ramadani, then I feel it will come from the same market; experienced Eastern European.

No guarantees of course, just a hunch they would be interested if Baccus was available cheaply, but would lose interest as soon as it became more expensive than picking up someone for peanuts that's been playing in the Serbian league for a decade.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

Thinking about it, I very much doubt Aberdeen would be interested in Baccus.

They know they'll need to pay a fee, and likely get locked into a sell on clause. What's more, with Baccus gaining notoriety from his WC exploits and some decent domestic press coverage it is likely that other clubs would come in should Aberdeen (or us) make any interest public. If there was a chance he'd go to Aberdeen I fully expect Bolton to take interest again.

For me, if Robson wants a replacement for Ramadani, then I feel it will come from the same market; experienced Eastern European.

No guarantees of course, just a hunch they would be interested if Baccus was available cheaply, but would lose interest as soon as it became more expensive than picking up someone for peanuts that's been playing in the Serbian league for a decade.

Notoriety?! 

I heard from an impeccable source that clubs are looking at Baccus and Strain, but that's hardly going to surprise anyone.

5 hours ago, Div said:

I'd think that would be too rich for them to be fair and also assume Keanu has his sights on England, so hopefully it won't come to that.

I definitely don't expect him to be with us when the transfer window closes. He's an absolute steal at £300K.

So why are we selling for 300k - He looks back to his best again and is again being selected for Australia. The fact is that he could leave for nothing but the chances of us replacing him are slim at best. I don’t understand how if reading on here is correct we’d sell him for 275k actually but would demand 400k extra for Strain? How does that work? Is Baccus not worth the same ? 

5 hours ago, AW saint said:

Aberdeen fans have been talking about Baccus. If we like it or not Aberdeen are a bigger club. They have more cash for wages etc. 

I dont expect any of our Aussie players to still be at the club come the 1st of September.  

However I do expect Robbo to unearth a couple of gems to replace them. 

Interesting days ahead. As long as we emerge stronger then so be it. 

Losing Strain and Baccus but still emerging stronger with two new players who aren’t playing with the team at present and who’ll need time to bed in. They’ll no doubt be sold for 250k per player. Not a chance we will get 700k for Strain 

1 hour ago, Norrie82 said:

So why are we selling for 300k - He looks back to his best again and is again being selected for Australia.  I don’t understand how if reading on here is correct we’d sell him for 275k actually but would demand 400k extra for Strain? How does that work? Is Baccus not worth the same ? 

1 hour ago, Norrie82 said:

Losing Strain and Baccus . They’ll no doubt be sold for 250k per player. Not a chance we will get 700k for Strain 

Get a grip guys. If they both go this window we'll raise 7 figures... there will likely be add ons in that, but also a sell on percentage.

They are both big assets, but like any player there is a price.

Don't listen to the knicker wetters .

8 hours ago, btb said:

My fear is that with Europe football becoming so lucrative the big city teams will be out of our reach within 5 years - reducing the Premiership to three mini-leagues.

Only if the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs regularly reach the group stages. As soon as we lose the 5th place via coefficient (quite possibly next season) and no longer get guaranteed group stages they won't be making the sort of money to disappear into the distance. 

If I"ve got this right (?), as things stand, the 2 Aussies can leave us for free next summer. Currently these 2 players are our biggest onfield assets (IMO).  Losing them for hee-haw in 2024 would be a massive disaster for us (financially) if they are notionally worth about £1 million to us in transfer income. St Mirren cannot piss away £1 million over one season.

As I see it we have 2 options.

1. Sell them now, or

2. Take a risk and sell them in the January window, for less transfer income.

I hate to say it but selling them now (for the right money) is probably the right thing to do. Can we trust Robinson to fill these gaps with fresh talent. Let's hope so.

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

If I"ve got this right (?), as things stand, the 2 Aussies can leave us for free next summer. Currently these 2 players are our biggest onfield assets (IMO).  Losing them for hee-haw in 2024 would be a massive disaster for us (financially) if they are notionally worth about £1 million to us in transfer income. St Mirren cannot piss away £1 million over one season.

As I see it we have 2 options.

1. Sell them now, or

2. Take a risk and sell them in the January window, for less transfer income.

I hate to say it but selling them now (for the right money) is probably the right thing to do. Can we trust Robinson to fill these gaps with fresh talent. Let's hope so.

Assumption 1 - they'll both go this window. Possible but not a certainty. I suspect 1 will leave.

Assumption 2 - keeping them for the season is a financial disaster.  So if we keep them and have a successful season, win a cup or get into Europe and finish higher, that could bring in more than 1 million. Risk?

Assumption 3 - selling them in January means losing money again. Probably the most likely outcome, but if they are playing magnificently and several teams outbid one another, we could get even more money. If they are here in January, it's more likely teams will try to get them on a pre-contract.

Assumption 4 - we'll get offered "the right money" this window for them. No guarantees there either.

Stop fretting, it's up to the Board to sort these things and give us a successful team. They seem to me to be well worth trusting with this stuff.

I’m of the opinion we keep these players (at least until the January window) unless a magnificent bid is placed. 

This was the breakdown of league prize money. I’d rather focus on building on our league position and go deep if possible in the cups. 

IMG_3535.thumb.jpeg.2a014a6438633787098a345b8f3e8dde.jpeg

Edited by Molotov

At one stage last season we were in front of Aberdeen and had just recently sold Ethan Erhahon.

Could we have made a better finish to the league had we retained his services? Aberdeen got £1.5M more in league prize money and guaranteed European money.

We will never know.