The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

3 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Is this him bullshitting again? 😂.

No cover for one of our most injury prone players in such a key area seems risky.

Or are we about to sell Strain and use the funds to replace him, sign a left sided player and the target man striker?

It is true. Still wouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Strain or Baccus potentially going before the window closes. If either one goes, I'm sure funds would be made available.

Separately, no harm to Lewis Jamieson, though I just can't see a place for him in the squad with the players ahead of him. He signed that year's extension on the basis of being included and not loaned out, though you have at the very least, the likes of Grieve, McMenamin and Olunyansa ahead of him in the pecking order. Then when Ayunga is back he's further behind. 

17 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

It is true. Still wouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Strain or Baccus potentially going before the window closes. If either one goes, I'm sure funds would be made available.

Separately, no harm to Lewis Jamieson, though I just can't see a place for him in the squad with the players ahead of him. He signed that year's extension on the basis of being included and not loaned out, though you have at the very least, the likes of Grieve, McMenamin and Olunyansa ahead of him in the pecking order. Then when Ayunga is back he's further behind. 

Would like to think we can try Jamieson in a couple if different positions this season . Probably off the bench . Maybe give him a couple of run outs in midfield , probably coming on to replace a striker .

26 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Would like to think we can try Jamieson in a couple if different positions this season . Probably off the bench . Maybe give him a couple of run outs in midfield , probably coming on to replace a striker .

I've no doubt he will get some sort of game time, though when the manager speaks of another striker albeit a target man, it makes you wonder how many opportunities he will get, especially if we play a system that only has one striker or just playing off of. 

It could be the case that Robinson is tempting bidders for Baccus and Strain not because he wants the money but because it's better they go now than on the last day before the window closes.

Not sure why folk are saying we've no cover for Tanser. Dunne and Taylor can both play left side and we've got Sutherland coming through too.

I wonder if Robinson has had a word with the likes of Baccus, Strain and potentially O'Hara along the lines of "Listen son, if you're fancying a move, I suggest you get your business done early coz don't be thinking I'll be letting you go on deadline day with no opportunity to replace you".

1 hour ago, MenstrieSaint said:

If we play like we did against Dundee, the, an almost 343 at times with McMenamin and Kiltie pushed up, then I think Jamieson might see more minutes in one of the wide positions like he played in the league cup. Kiltie and/or McMenamin will likely pick up a knock or a suspension at some point.

1 hour ago, smellthepaw said:

It's definitely not true.

We've gone from 'will see what we can do with the budget' when Carson was still here, to selling Carson and looking for a LWB and Striker - going so far as to expect a striker in the door, to now despite no more squad additions, suddenly being completely empty?

There's absolutely no chance.

It's just really basic expectation management (to the point where I wonder why people take what football managers say at face value) - Robinson came out with that patter every year with us (and Kettlewell has enthusiastically picked up the baton BTW).

2 hours ago, smellthepaw said:

It’s nonsense and Robinson is good at it.

While I concede that I've only seen Sutherland and Kenny playing in a couple of games this (pre) season I feel both of these lads showed a lot of promise and maybe this could be their breakthrough year.

Perhaps some of you who have seen more of them than I have could tell if either is capable of making a left-side wingback ?

20 minutes ago, McG said:

I loved his response on the VAR/no-goal incident on Saturday, something along the lines of: "Well, all the lads said it was over the line, but they're footballers so don't believe a word they say".

Same goes for ex-footballers who're now managers I guess.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

While I concede that I've only seen Sutherland and Kenny playing in a couple of games this (pre) season I feel both of these lads showed a lot of promise and maybe this could be their breakthrough year.

Perhaps some of you who have seen more of them than I have could tell if either is capable of making a left-side wingback ?

Nowhere near ready being a LWB. He could potentially get some minutes on the left wing as he looks excellent going forward but pre-season I believe was the first time he'd ever been tried out defensively. He'd need a fair bit more coaching back there to be considered and option in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I only saw Kenny when he came on against Forfar, but I thought he looked excellent. Very composed in defence and looked good carrying the ball forward. Obviously the standard of opposition needs to be factored in, but nevertheless still very promising. 

2 hours ago, McG said:

Indeed.

There will be a LWB and a striker brought in without the need for any players to move on.

I can't fathom why anyone thinks otherwise given our recent transfer windfalls and Robinson's past history of subterfuge when dealing with the media.