The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Not sure I agree with the managers post match comments, yes we play balls into the box BUT the overall quality is poor. Too often we hit the first man or play it into an area the defender can clear unchallenged and we don’t win the second ball.

I don’t deny our strikers need to do more but without good quality deliveries we will struggle.

11 hours ago, Torfason said:

Not sure I agree with the managers post match comments, yes we play balls into the box BUT the overall quality is poor. Too often we hit the first man or play it into an area the defender can clear unchallenged and we don’t win the second ball.

I don’t deny our strikers need to do more but without good quality deliveries we will struggle.

I've been going on for this for weeks. Last night was no different, although when McMenamin came on he put a couple of decent deliveries in.

Might I suggest that we spend a day at training just practising delivery of crosses and corners?

It certainly couldn't make the quality any worse.

There was a few decent deliveries put in last night. The movement and willingness to attack wasn't there. Mark O Hara confidence is down he put in a hard working shift. But he had an opportunity to shoot at the edge of the box and he just flicked it back in. Last season he wouldn't have hesitate to have a crack at goal

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

I've been going on for this for weeks. Last night was no different, although when McMenamin came on he put a couple of decent deliveries in.

Might I suggest that we spend a day at training just practising delivery of crosses and corners?

It certainly couldn't make the quality any worse.

It shows how much we rely on Strain. His delivery is excellent. Tanser is good but not quite the quality of Strain. The rest pretty poor. 

Thought Kiltie had his poorest game in ages. 

There is no point lumping crosses into the box when our strikers dont take advantage of it. They are hanging about outside the box and dont gamble on a deep cross. 

3 minutes ago, Uncle Scan said:

There was a few decent deliveries put in last night. The movement and willingness to attack wasn't there. Mark O Hara confidence is down he put in a hard working shift. But he had an opportunity to shoot at the edge of the box and he just flicked it back in. Last season he wouldn't have hesitate to have a crack at goal

MOH had one of his better games last night. Thought he played well. 

However I agree he lacks a bit of confidence to have a shot. Hopefully he can build on last night. 

20 hours ago, AW saint said:

It shows how much we rely on Strain. His delivery is excellent. Tanser is good but not quite the quality of Strain. The rest pretty poor. 

Thought Kiltie had his poorest game in ages. 

There is no point lumping crosses into the box when our strikers dont take advantage of it. They are hanging about outside the box and dont gamble on a deep cross. 

Given that most of the balls either sailed about six feet over the strikers heads and straight out of play or went straight into the 'keeper's arms, they'd he hard pushed to take advantage of them. However, our striker's presence in the box does need to improve.

As I mentioned, there were a couple from McMenamin that our strikers should have done better. However, maybe the complete surprise of receiving a decent ball in worked against them................................:rolleyes:

Whichever strikers appear in the next two games should be told to get into the box at the earliest opportunity and disrupt the defence. Both Mandron and Ayunga are capable of that.

I also thought that Mandron improved matters when he came on as he made some great lay offs. Still needs to be more physical in the box though.

Edited by FTOF

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

On another note..............

I saw Dylan Reid at the game on Wednesday.

Would Crystal Palace let him come back for a six month loan and would he be the solution to sorting out our faltering midfield?

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

FB6w-Y4zzkNLqCYy8w41NjmY7Uc=.gif

Anyone know how he’s been doing down there? 

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

On another note..............

I saw Dylan Reid at the game on Wednesday.

Would Crystal Palace let him come back for a six month loan and would he be the solution to sorting out our faltering midfield?

Saw him too. Not a bad shout

36 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Anyone know how he’s been doing down there? 

From the very limited reports that I've heard, he's been doing rather well, albeit in the U-21's.

Played in all three Scotland U-19 games in November when they progressed to the next stage of U-19 euro championship qualifying.

1 hour ago, tam the bud said:

I just wish we had 1 striker that was half decent at heading the ball in the penalty area. 

Wonder how Fletcher doing at Wrexham  🤔

Two goals in twelve appearances, missed nine games before returning last Saturday.

Bullet dodged.

5 hours ago, medals said:

So he is in the area seeing his family and wanted to catch our game too while he has time away over the festive period. What's not clear? (Dalry boy)

That’s not the answer to the question though….

In terms of chucking balls into the box, surely it would make sense to start big Mika? I also think Ayunga should drop out and put him back in for Celtic.

agreed on Strain being a big miss. Our system is built for him. A 4-3-3 makes sense with him missing, but doubt we’ll see a change now.

I heard a lot of criticism of Kiltie against Kilmarnock. He has been terrific this season. Felt it was a bit harsh. It’s not like he was uninterested or hiding away. 

We’ve all seen far worse performances down the years but this squad is just going through a bad time. 

As soon as we went a goal down the heads seemed to drop on the pitch.
Before that Killie goal they never threatened.

Something is clearly amiss at the moment. Confidence has clearly taken a hit. If we could get back to back positive results before winter break that certainly would be great.

Perhaps unlikely but write us off at your peril. 

It was inevitable that we would go through such a difficult period. 

Important that we all stay united in our support of the team. COYS.