The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

6 hours ago, Mac28 said:

it would be a big wage, would need atleast 2 players out of the door and we still need another in midfield. Will need some Robbo magic aswell, Dundee and Motherwell will be able to offer money than us

Why would Dundee or Motherwell be able to offer more than us ?

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

Why would Dundee or Motherwell be able to offer more than us ?

Because we are wee shity St Mirren and they are bigger clubs than us though how he comes to that conclusion I don't know. 

we have the second smallest budget in the league. Im not sure what the other clubs finances are like but Dundee seem to have a bit of backing, they did a lot of buisness in the summer

12 minutes ago, Mac28 said:

we have the second smallest budget in the league. Im not sure what the other clubs finances are like but Dundee seem to have a bit of backing, they did a lot of buisness in the summer

Where does information like this get published, would be interesting to see it ?

14 minutes ago, Mac28 said:

Dundee have a habit of overspending. Didn't end well in the past

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Surely this is absolute bollocks

We ran with budgeting for 11th every season under Gus/Danny Lennon.

Last season we budgeted for 7th. Now that is only based on projected prize money and doesn't mean we have the 7th biggest budget in the league or indeed we don't have the second smallest in the league - nobody knows that as these things aren't exactly published and open knowledge but I'd definitely say that we have budget of similar size to all sides in the league outside of the top 5 and Livingston. Maybe Motherwell and St. Johnstone are smaller because they had to tighten the purse strings due to mental overspending last season.

We're not exactly flush but nor are we massively overperforming on an absolute shoestring.

21 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Last season we budgeted for 7th. Now that is only based on projected prize money and doesn't mean we have the 7th biggest budget in the league or indeed we don't have the second smallest in the league - nobody knows that as these things aren't exactly published and open knowledge but I'd definitely say that we have budget of similar size to all sides in the league outside of the top 5 and Livingston. Maybe Motherwell and St. Johnstone are smaller because they had to tighten the purse strings due to mental overspending last season.

We're not exactly flush but nor are we massively overperforming on an absolute shoestring.

Aye.

One thing I’d also say is that a lot of the interviews Robinson’s been giving lately are almost verbatim the lines he’d push when he was with us. He definitely likes to lean on the same sort of stuff.

Which isn’t a dig or anything it’s just quite the coincidence that we *also* apparently had “the lowest budget in the league” and “aren’t able to pay well” when he was at Fir Park. It’s very familiar :)

As you say it’s probably six and half a dozen between the group outside Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen.

The trick is how you use the budget available.

Edited by capt_oats

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye.

One thing I’d also say is that a lot of the interviews Robinson’s been giving lately are almost verbatim the lines he’d push when he was with us. He definitely likes to lean on the same sort of stuff.

Which isn’t a dig or anything it’s just quite the coincidence that we *also* apparently had “the lowest budget in the league” and “aren’t able to pay well” when he was at Fir Park. It’s very familiar :)

As you say it’s probably six and half a dozen between the group outside Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen.

The trick is how you use the budget available.

I don't particularly want to see us on the lowest budget as invariably, outside of the odd season here or there, it does matter and it'll catch you. If we run with a budget for 11th every season, we're far more likely to fall through the trap door than if we have a budget for 7th. A decent budget doesn't guarantee you avoid a struggle but a small budget almost always confirms you will though.

I always group these things by and large. An upper and lower limit of places on the overall league ladder compared to budget.

Dundee Utd almost certainly had comfortably the 6th biggest budget last season after 5th place the prior season and this is a good example of a club where a large budget doesnt guarantee avoidance of failure. 12th last season was a disaster and even though they still likely have a budget that is comparable to half the top flight, they could yet end up 14th in the overall rankings this season and stay down.

If we budget for 7th, then we have a realistic shout of anything from 5th-11th, add a place either way for an outstanding or disastrous season.

If we budget for 11th, then really you're expecting 8th-12th and in worst case scenario, dropping a league and even if carrying over similar budget in championship, being anywhere the following season from 13th to even 18th or 19th on the overall pyramid. That exact scenario happened last time we went down and was very nearly much, much worse.

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I don't particularly want to see us on the lowest budget as invariably, outside of the odd season here or there, it does matter and it'll catch you. If we run with a budget for 11th every season, we're far more likely to fall through the trap door than if we have a budget for 7th. A decent budget doesn't guarantee you avoid a struggle but a small budget almost always confirms you will though.

I always group these things by and large. An upper and lower limit of places on the overall league ladder compared to budget.

Dundee Utd almost certainly had comfortably the 6th biggest budget last season after 5th place the prior season and this is a good example of a club where a large budget doesnt guarantee avoidance of failure. 12th last season was a disaster and even though they still likely have a budget that is comparable to half the top flight, they could yet end up 14th in the overall rankings this season and stay down.

If we budget for 7th, then we have a realistic shout of anything from 5th-11th, add a place either way for an outstanding or disastrous season.

If we budget for 11th, then really you're expecting 8th-12th and in worst case scenario, dropping a league and even if carrying over similar budget in championship, being anywhere the following season from 13th to even 18th or 19th on the overall pyramid. That exact scenario happened last time we went down and was very nearly much, much worse.

No argument there from me.

I think the point though is that regardless of whether you do/don't have "one of the lowest budgets in the league" Robinson will say you do - that just seems to be the way he's wired and the narrative he's comfortable with. As I say, it's not a dig he did exactly the same with us which is why it caught my eye as his narrative is pretty much verbatim.

Ultimately no one is actually going to ask him to show his workings and if he says it often enough folk believe it - as a poster in this thread has already shown.

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I get that historically you may have been second lowest at points but also the position your budgeting for doesn't necessarily mean that is position of your budget to the rest of the league. Obviously Livingston will be the lowest at present but I have seen St.Mirren push the boat out a bit for quite established league players past few years from other teams such as Brophy,Gallagher etc. I just can't see St.Mirren having a smaller budget than Motherwell, St. Johnstone and maybe a few more which is why the 11th claim threw me a bit although your not claiming that tbf.

Edited by gannonball

12 hours ago, Mac28 said:

I don't believe that is true. Maybe in the past, though the manager was given the clubs biggest budget in years last season to push for top 6. I can't imagine that would have dropped by much (if any) when you see the quality in the squad we have.

Regardless, we have always been pretty good at using what we have in terms of resources vs similar size clubs.

Edited by smellthepaw

12 hours ago, Mac28 said:

Bullshit we have the 2nd smallest budget In the league.

Believe that and you will believe anything.

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm not even sure I believe that to be honest. Under Lennon we had guys like Thommo, Teale, Goodwin, Paul McGowan, Van Zanten as well as folk like Isma, Hasselbaink, Newton, Dummett, Carey, Tesselaar also kicking about at various points. I just don't see that being a really cheap squad. Under Gus, maybe, but even he managed to push out the boat for guys like Dargo.

22 minutes ago, GAD said:

I'm not even sure I believe that to be honest. Under Lennon we had guys like Thommo, Teale, Goodwin, Paul McGowan, Van Zanten as well as folk like Isma, Hasselbaink, Newton, Dummett, Carey, Tesselaar also kicking about at various points. I just don't see that being a really cheap squad. Under Gus, maybe, but even he managed to push out the boat for guys like Dargo.

Under SG, I believe we didn't budget for anything higher than 10th. When SMISA took over in 2016, they kept the same model, though within that transition, we were playing in the championship. 

16 hours ago, gannonball said:

If he's scored that much for Morecambe he could break all sorts of records in the SPFL going by the Adams Multiplier Index.

Nah, Morecombe are only 1000x better then  Ross County so different than what we have