The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

10 hours ago, Norrie82 said:

We simply don’t score enough nor do we look like scoring. The earlier poster is correct our current front men won’t hit 10 goals between them from now till the end and this could be the reason that we lose the top six spot. I hope I’m wrong but today had we a decent forward we’d have got a point at least - and as for Gogic he’s outstanding and we need to offer him the top wage of anyone at the club. To lose him would be a crushing blow 

Agree to a certain extent. We need to start scoring again.

However, yesterday only one of our chances was presented to a forward. 

Jamieson's chance wasn't quite as easy as I thought at the time, but if he hits it either side of Butland it's a goal. He needs to do better.

I can't really remember any really bad, clear cut misses from our strikers over the past few games. I just don't think we've created much.

I think James Scott will help. In his short stint yesterday he put one superb ball into the box, which created a great chance for Gogic, which, but for a great defensive block, had "goal" written all over it. Scott is also quite a composed finisher from what I've seen of him.

I thought O'Hara played better yesterday, as he was playing a bit further up the pitch. So that might help create chances once he gets his full stamina back.

Agree 100% on Gogic. We should be rolling out the red carpet for him.

Edited by FTOF

23 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Agree to a certain extent. We need to start scoring again.

However, yesterday only one of our chances was presented to a forward. 

Jamieson's chance wasn't quite as easy as I thought at the time, but if he hits it either side of Butland it's a goal. He needs to do better.

I can't really remember any really bad, clear cut misses from our strikers over the past few games. I just don't think we've created much.

I think James Scott will help. In his short stint yesterday he put one superb ball into the box, which created a great chance for Gogic, which, but for a great defensive block, had "goal" written all over it. Scott is also quite a composed finisher from what I've seen of him.

I thought O'Hara played better yesterday, as he was playing a bit further up the pitch. So that might help create chances once he gets his full stamina back.

Agree 100% on Gogic. We should be rolling out the red carpet for him.

Definitely creating fewer chances without Strain in the team. I also feel that we create fewer chances with Ayunga up top as he wants to get on the ball quite deep, rather than get beyond.

Strain. Ayunga. Combination of both. Couple of big games coming up where we’ll definitely need to be scoring more than one goal.

A narrow loss, where we played pretty well in one half and ok in the other, no injuries or suspensions, all the while losing only one goal at the same time those around us in the league could only draw?

That is a pretty successful old firm visit to be honest.

Though Bwomomo looked good, Scott looked unfit, and Kwon continues to look a very decent addition. All three will benefit from game time, but at this moment you have to say our transfer policy has been broadly successful this winter. We have strengthened at the front, the middle and the back.

Be a shame for Nahmani to go without him really getting a chance, but we don't see what is going on behind the scenes. Wouldn't like to see him rock up at a competitor, but that is less about "coming back to haunt us" and more "if another team down the road can get him settled and playing, why couldn't we?"

23 minutes ago, Ric said:

A narrow loss, where we played pretty well in one half and ok in the other, no injuries or suspensions, all the while losing only one goal at the same time those around us in the league could only draw?

That is a pretty successful old firm visit to be honest.

Though Bwomomo looked good, Scott looked unfit, and Kwon continues to look a very decent addition. All three will benefit from game time, but at this moment you have to say our transfer policy has been broadly successful this winter. We have strengthened at the front, the middle and the back.

Be a shame for Nahmani to go without him really getting a chance, but we don't see what is going on behind the scenes. Wouldn't like to see him rock up at a competitor, but that is less about "coming back to haunt us" and more "if another team down the road can get him settled and playing, why couldn't we?"

Scott looked "unfit". In what way as I was surprised how sharp he looked when he came on and he certainly didn't look to be carrying excess weight. 

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Scott looked "unfit". In what way as I was surprised how sharp he looked when he came on and he certainly didn't look to be carrying excess weight. 

I didn't take much notice of him while at Motherwell, so perhaps that's just the way he is, but he seemed to lack sharpness, I was watching a stream so I didn't really get a chance to see much of his movement off the ball.

I wouldn't read too much into it, just a first impression. It could be that the player is not a particularly fast or sharp player, perhaps he's more a "time on the ball/cultured foot".

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

I didn't take much notice of him while at Motherwell, so perhaps that's just the way he is, but he seemed to lack sharpness, I was watching a stream so I didn't really get a chance to see much of his movement off the ball.

I wouldn't read too much into it, just a first impression. It could be that the player is not a particularly fast or sharp player, perhaps he's more a "time on the ball/cultured foot".

Maybe right as he did look comfortable with ball at feet which isn't the case with everyone when we play the cheeks.

1 minute ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Accomplished journalism from Chris Jack in the Herald today:

"After Souttar made a brilliant block, Jaden Brown headed off the bar."

There must've been 3 Saints players that headed off the bar - BBC said it was Luke Bolton.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

I thought he looked fine fitness wise. He has really good feet and his close control is well above McMenamin. I actually think we may have got ourselves a bargain. 

Elvis looks a more than decent player. Very good defensively and good going forward. It's always going to be tough for him filling in as Strain is superb and a fans favourite. So far he is ticking the right boxes. 

We just need to find a goalscorer. Go get Van Veen

The Nahmani situation reminds me a bit of when we had Mooy. We went to a lot of effort to sign someone and then rarely used him, even though there's been indications there's a player in there.

There could be a whole host of reasons why he isn't getting a game but, whatever is behind it, it's pretty clear he isn't going to get a shot. It's far easier getting him off the wage bill than ripping up someone's contract so we might as well cut our losses.

Fully expect a repeat of this time last year when people went into meltdown because we punted Brophy out on loan, he looked amazing for a few games then did f**k all else.

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

There could be a whole host of reasons why he isn't getting a game but, whatever is behind it, it's pretty clear he isn't going to get a shot. 

Whenever I see Nahmani off-the-pitch he looks like the textbook young person who's living away from home for the first time and is just too far outside his comfort zone. Some embrace a big life change like that (compare with Keanu's demeanour), others struggle.

Might be wrong, but my feeling is that Stav just hasn't settled and would be happy to go back to his friends and family in Israel ASAP.

5 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Whenever I see Nahmani off-the-pitch he looks like the textbook young person who's living away from home for the first time and is just too far outside his comfort zone. Some embrace a big life change like that (compare with Keanu's demeanour), others struggle.

Might be wrong, but my feeling is that Stav just hasn't settled and would be happy to go back to his friends and family in Israel ASAP.

Totally understandable if that's the problem, especially given the situation in his homeland.

However, if that is the issue than it's a bit odd his club seem to be happy for him to go elsewhere in Scotland!

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

Totally understandable if that's the problem, especially given the situation in his homeland.

However, if that is the issue than it's a bit odd his club seem to be happy for him to go elsewhere in Scotland!

My money would be on him returning to Israel shortly, but you never know.

38 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Sadly it looks like Australia are going to win their last 16 knock out match at the Asian Cup, so Keanu not coming back anytime soon. 

They've got Saudi Arabia or South Korea in the next game on the 2nd Feb.

No idea how good either of them are, but they will surely be a tougher proposition than the teams they've played so far.

Just noticed South Korea are ranked 23 compared to Australia's 25, so could be a chance of them getting emptied.

On 27/11/2022 at 13:54, djchapsticks said:

I'd say if we pulled for example high six figures or low seven for Baccus, that would be realistic and a worthwhile exercise.

It doesn't look like that transfers 's gonna happen now, a pity for us the transfer deal to Bolton fell through in the summer. I take no interest in international football but if I did I'd have realized there was a strong possibility this would happen and that we'd only have one transfer window to cash in on him.

A pity all round because Baccus has been one of the more interesting surnames to have  to played for us but it looks like he'll be leaving for free to deliver ecstasy and frenzied states elsewhere.

Edited by btb

8 minutes ago, FTOF said:

They've got Saudi Arabia or South Korea in the next game on the 2nd Feb.

No idea how good either of them are, but they will surely be a tougher proposition than the teams they've played so far.

Just noticed South Korea are ranked 23 compared to Australia's 25, so could be a chance of them getting emptied.

Korea have been honking so far. Klinsmann is about to get his jotters