The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I think you are living on planet September 2023.

For a good few months now Killie have been comfortably a better team than us. Genuinely dangerous match winning players in Armstrong, Vassell, Watkins etc and to a slightly lesser extent the likes of Kennedy. Now they’ve added Van Veen. Re-signing Findlay was also a masterstroke as from what I’ve seen he’s been excellent. Great young player in (is it?) Watson.

They are streets ahead of us at this time. 

I'd say Mayo is the pick of our back line, he's been fantastic since he signed.

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Hmmm. That’s a serious 20/20 hindsight take that mate.

There were plenty of Killie fans that were raging we took Brophy.

Just because you got the last laugh doesn’t make you Nostradamus. 

Won’t anyone think of the poor Ross County fans!

7 hours ago, Nadroj said:

want to manufacture some sort of forced rivalry with us. 

Two things on that: firstly, we seem to get accused of that a lot, often by Hearts fans which is cute given they're the ones nursing the pathetic 40-year grudge. But perhaps there's something in it, and it's likely to have something to do with our actual rivals being utterly shite for unbroken decades. You're in a similar boat, so maybe just get with it.

Secondly, actually, my Grampa always used to talk about Killie as being rivals, mainly based on the traditional New Year games. Not saying he was correct either way, but I don't think this is a new thing.

7 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I reckon the club allowing young Sutherland to go out on loan to Alloa, would suggest they were pretty confident that there was a real shout of Van Veen signing on loan. 
Now that it’s not happened I expect to see Robbo explore the free agent market for another striker.

The club won’t sign another forward. Not one person thought we were desperate for another one until 2pm yesterday either.

I think we went all in for Van Veen purely because of his availability rather than us actually needing another forward.

31 minutes ago, SS77 said:

The club won’t sign another forward. Not one person thought we were desperate for another one until 2pm yesterday either.

I think we went all in for Van Veen purely because of his availability rather than us actually needing another forward.

Broadly the same as us. We didn't need Van Veen, as we had attacking options aplenty, particularly with gorgeous Greg signing, but sometimes offers pop up which you can't pass by. 

35 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Secondly, actually, my Grampa always used to talk about Killie as being rivals, mainly based on the traditional New Year games. Not saying he was correct either way, but I don't think this is a new thing.

This is an age thing. 

Historically St Mirren vs Kilmarnock was a traditional New Years Day “derby”.

@Nadroj 

Take a look at

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/StMirren_Progs_1950s.htmlml

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/StMirren_Progs_1960s.html

1950s  6 seasons out of 10 where the traditional “Derby” game at New Year was between our sides.

1960s 9 seasons out of 10 where the traditional “Derby” game at New Year was between our sides.

There are plenty of other NYD games between our sides down the years.

Problem with having local teams who rarely play in the same league. 

I’d say history helps to settle that argument Jordan.

Our true local rivals no longer exist.

Abercorn FC. 

Count yourself lucky you still exist. 😂 

36 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Perhaps it’s a case of our vice chairman playing too much FM growing up. 😂 
Gillespie is the “football” operations appointed director. 
Given the better healthy financial outlook of the club (compared to recent seasons) there was money available to spend. 

We now just need SJM to score the winning hat trick in the final at the Euros to kick off a transfer tug of war in the summer. 
Then Robbo can cherry pick the diddy clubs of their top talent. 😂 

Maybe we should kick start a new discussion - which diddy club players would be ideal for our club?

11 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

There was the mad Jack Ross one to keep us up. Total squad reshuffle. 

I think Oran Kearney's Jan window two years later tops it - that penalty shoot out against Dundee Utd. I sauntered on towards the end of the pitch invasion and liberated part of the penalty spot, still in my back garden near one of the drying poles.

3 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

I think we might have 

The overall wages for Brophy, including what we were paying his agent, was more than £3k per week.

We were very, very glad to get shot of him.

1 hour ago, Fide said:

Broadly the same as us. We didn't need Van Veen, as we had attacking options aplenty, particularly with gorgeous Greg signing, but sometimes offers pop up which you can't pass by. 

Spot on.

This was a punt, by both clubs, to get a proven goalscorer in on a short term deal to the end of the season.

End of the day the risk was fairly low, let's say it's a £2k a week contribution to his wages over 20 weeks, £40k.

It's not insignificant, but in the big scheme of things, it was a bit of a no brainer.

Each place in the league is worth about £200k in prize money, and then there is the additional carrot of European football to chase.

Saints televised cup tie against Celtic will not have been budgeted for, and that income would have pretty much covered the spend, whereas Kilmarnock are at home to a lower league club in the 5th round so will be justifiably confident of a quarter final place.

Again, unbudgeted income that I guess they have speculated with.

Can't blame either club for taking a punt on him, and it was a toss up between us with KVV preferring Killie. Them's the breaks.

If I was a Motherwell fan I'd be very, very worried though.

Unlike Killie and St.Mirren they are absolutely DESPERATE for a striker, they only have one fit number 9 right now.

They are also still very much in a relegation dogfight and they had the chance to get a player that scored 20+ goals there just last season.

And yet they could only offer HALF of what Killie and Saints could??

That should terrify their supporters.

Right from the first rumour, I just couldn't see KVV coming to us. Don't get me wrong, it was totally worth a punt and Killie have pulled off quite the coup.

That said, KVV doesn't particularly strike me as a SR striker. Is he the guy that will do plenty of donkey work out of possession? I don't think so.

But, purely based on last season, clubs in our position cannot afford to pass up on someone who is capable of that amount of goals for a diddy side. It was worth a shot and it's not worked out. We're no better or worse off than we were 24 hours ago.

37 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Right from the first rumour, I just couldn't see KVV coming to us. Don't get me wrong, it was totally worth a punt and Killie have pulled off quite the coup.

That said, KVV doesn't particularly strike me as a SR striker. Is he the guy that will do plenty of donkey work out of possession? I don't think so.

But, purely based on last season, clubs in our position cannot afford to pass up on someone who is capable of that amount of goals for a diddy side. It was worth a shot and it's not worked out. We're no better or worse off than we were 24 hours ago.

I really don't see much in difference between ourselves and Killie, so it was a personal preference for him.

It may look like an in hindsight not bothered take because me missed out on KVV, though we may have avoided an expensive gamble. I felt it had similar vibes to Tony Watt signing last January window, where his goal tally didn't exactly set the heather on fire. He could prove me wrong, though he hasn't had a lot of game time in a couple of months, he turns 33 this summer and he's had one purple patch season (an incredible season at that) in his career.

12 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

I'd say Mayo is the pick of our back line, he's been fantastic since he signed.

He was one that I saw going to Killie in the summer and was genuinely envious over, to a lesser extent with Robbie Deas as well. Add Findlay into that and Killie have some excellent defensive options.

Goes without saying that McInnes is a shrewd operator and always has been. Kilmarnock look strong in every area of the pitch now and fair play after by and large looking shite last season (apart from against us).

5 hours ago, SS77 said:

That doesn't seem to be the case , apparently Motherwell put their cards on the table during the first week of January and we immediately trumped them , so this has been in the works for weeks. 

38 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He was one that I saw going to Killie in the summer and was genuinely envious over, to a lesser extent with Robbie Deas as well. Add Findlay into that and Killie have some excellent defensive options.

Goes without saying that McInnes is a shrewd operator and always has been. Kilmarnock look strong in every area of the pitch now and fair play after by and large looking shite last season (apart from against us).

Envious of Robbie Deas 👀