The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

12 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I'm not sure that Taylor deserved to lose his starting spot, but since he's been relegated to tbe bench it seems that Robinson has placed Dunne ahead of him when it comes to substitutes. Odd IMO since Taylor has been reliable and Dunne can be a bomb scare.

Once Taylor is fully fit he’ll be back in the team.

8 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

True. But I can’t help thinking that’s in part down to the Ayr staunchnes. 

A bit unfair, I live in Ayr these days and while their is much staunchness in the town, the Ayr Utd. fans I know dislike the cheeks as much as us.

4 hours ago, SS77 said:

Once Taylor is fully fit he’ll be back in the team.

Who gets dropped though.

Bolton has been superb, no coincidence the defence has tightened up since his run of starts in the team.

Gogic is a warrior and Marcus Fraser is Mr Reliable every week.

Taylor brings balance to the back 3 as Fraser is obviously right footed and it sticks out playing on the left of the 3. 

As for the arse cheeks in the away end, when does it become a genuine health and safety issue for the club? Rangers fans end up filling every seat and stairwell, you can't actually see the yellow in the stands because of it. The stand is over full, the club could get into shit for it. Folk must be passing on their qr code to their mates without a ticket. 

Half their away allocation and cut out their nonsense. 

23 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Who gets dropped though.

Bolton has been superb, no coincidence the defence has tightened up since his run of starts in the team.

Taylor brings balance to the back 3 as Fraser is obviously right footed and it sticks out playing on the left of the 3. 

As for the arse cheeks in the away end, when does it become a genuine health and safety issue for the club? Rangers fans end up filling every seat and stairwell, you can't actually see the yellow in the stands because of it. The stand is over full, the club could get into shit for it. Folk must be passing on their qr code to their mates without a ticket. 

Is it not just their refusal to sit that makes it look packed (I've always assumed that's the whole point of them standing). Pretty sure it's not as simple of passing the QR code back to a mate, if that was the case we would barely be selling half the tickets as those thieving arse cheeks would have seized on it years ago.

Gutted to be out of the cup. We played really well first half. Oh for a genuine goalscorer. 

Jamieson just doesn't do it for me up top. He looks knackered and doesn't track back. 

Gogic is the best centre defender in the league. He is awesome. 

16 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Gutted to be out of the cup. We played really well first half. Oh for a genuine goalscorer. 

Jamieson just doesn't do it for me up top. He looks knackered and doesn't track back. 

Gogic is the best centre defender in the league. He is awesome. 

Couldn’t agree more. Gogic outstanding . Jamieson does nothing for me. Cuts back constantly and defensively he’s not strong enough. Best coming off the bench late on maybe 

The team gave it a real shot but ultimately it didn't get a good result.

SR interview though was fab and telling. He praises the players, mentions where it could have worked out better but ultimately his passion to win and the hurt of losing tells us everything we need to know.

He will be planning on making us better.

Look at where we are now from when he arrived.  

Focus now on getting above Killie and finishing there.

Win against Livi will be a very good next step...

We played very well today , lost a bit of energy for the last quarter , but in general a good performance, we would have benefited from having OHara and Kwon available to bring fresh legs to the midfield and as the season progresses having the extra cover in midfield might swing  a few close games in our favour .

Think we are still very much an on form team and if we keep up our current form we should be pushing for top four . Thinking European football is a distinct possibility. 

Edited by MenstrieSaint

I thought we done well to be honest. Play like that for the remainder of the season we have a good shot to finish this season well. I didn’t think Celtic were too impressive despite their win. 

I don’t know if it’s just me, but Ayunga is a shadow of the player of last season. Don’t know if our style has changed or what, but we seem to do a lot better with Mandron on the pitch. 

2 minutes ago, zildjian said:

I thought we done well to be honest. Play like that for the remainder of the season we have a good shot to finish this season well. I didn’t think Celtic were too impressive despite their win. 

I don’t know if it’s just me, but Ayunga is a shadow of the player of last season. Don’t know if our style has changed or what, but we seem to do a lot better with Mandron on the pitch. 

We are crying out for a penalty box striker. Ayunga has his good and bad points. He is better playing with a runner to play off of. Mandron imo is better at holding the ball and has better close control. We have plenty options but no out and out number 9. 

9 hours ago, AW saint said:

We are crying out for a penalty box striker. Ayunga has his good and bad points. He is better playing with a runner to play off of. Mandron imo is better at holding the ball and has better close control. We have plenty options but no out and out number 9. 

We also need the midfield to start chipping in.

Not for the first time in recent weeks, Kiltie fluffed his lines in front of goal, with a header that looked easier to score than miss.

The rest of his play has been great, but..........................................

23 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Who gets dropped though.

The QR code will only work once. Unless someone is at it and complaining to stewards their ticket doesn't work because of an 'error'.

12 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

We played very well today , lost a bit of energy for the last quarter , but in general a good performance, we would have benefited from having OHara and Kwon available to bring fresh legs to the midfield and as the season progresses having the extra cover in midfield might swing  a few close games in our favour .

Think we are still very much an on form team and if we keep up our current form we should be pushing for top four . Thinking European football is a distinct possibility. 

What cost us yesterday was not tracking one of the best strikers in the league. The space Kyogo had for the first should never have happened. He then went on to have another two opportunities only minutes later, left completely unmarked. Maeda, seemed like he didnt turn it on till second half. His pace was causing us bother and he eventually got a chance he tucked away.

Other than the marking for the goals, I thought we played magnificent. It really is good to see a manager set out to win against the bigger sides, rather than sit back and hope to keep the score down, which we have witnessed many of times before Robinsons arrival. Setting out with an attacking formation shows that even though there will be a lot of tracking back when out of posession, we are ready to also cause them issues going forward.

Baccus seemed to take a knock into the second half. Hopefully nothing too serious as we are as light as it is in the middle of the park.

Need to put yesterday behind us. There were plenty of positives but fact is that our next four games are against (at time of writing) the bottom four in the league, although one of those is at home to Aberdeen who still have their by now almost mythical games in hand.

A massive opportunity in next 3 weeks now to put our stamp on what we want this season to be. A run of wins, even 8 points from these games would get us on 43 and would seal top six with 4/5 games to spare (which would be definite progress on last season)...it could even put us firmly in the driving seat for fourth given Killie have a hard run of games coming up.