The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Need to put yesterday behind us. There were plenty of positives but fact is that our next four games are against (at time of writing) the bottom four in the league, although one of those is at home to Aberdeen who still have their by now almost mythical games in hand.

A massive opportunity in next 3 weeks now to put our stamp on what we want this season to be. A run of wins, even 8 points from these games would get us on 43 and would seal top six with 4/5 games to spare (which would be definite progress on last season)...it could even put us firmly in the driving seat for fourth given Killie have a hard run of games coming up.

We just take it one game at a time. A win against livi will give us confidence goinv into the next game. 

Ross County and ourselves are both now free on Saturday 9th March. It would make sense to move our midweek game till then. More support could travel up and the team would not be playing two games a week at the end of February. Would Sky be willing to drop the game and would the stay at home supporters be happy not to see the game on TV to allow more to travel to support the team?

1 hour ago, Oldchap said:

Ross County and ourselves are both now free on Saturday 9th March. It would make sense to move our midweek game till then. More support could travel up and the team would not be playing two games a week at the end of February. Would Sky be willing to drop the game and would the stay at home supporters be happy not to see the game on TV to allow more to travel to support the team?

Sky will never "drop" the game.

22 hours ago, Oldchap said:

Speaking very selfishly they bloody better not. I'm up in Scotland that week and planning on going to the game.

3 hours ago, Buddie Holly said:

r.i.p well known saints fan malky arnott 

That's a shock been to hospitality a couple of times with Malky and a few away games. He also came over to Rothesay to eat at my Bistro. Anyone know what happened ? 

2 hours ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Couple of games on tonight, from our perspective, I guess either a draw or Motherwell win at Pitroddrie, and a County win just for the lols would suit us... 

Yeah, draw at Pittodrie for me, Clive.

Rangers will win very easily against an object County side so I can't be arsed hoping for anything else.

28 minutes ago, zildjian said:

Only started watching the 2nd half of Ross county v Rangers. This could have been 5+, countys goalie is making some great saves! 

Yup, the stats were crazy!

Shots
Home42
Away5
Shots on Target
Home23
Away1
Corners
Home20
Away3

All those games in hand that the teams below had have really damaged us haven’t they. 🤣🤣

Looking at what’s left, Aberdeen, Dundee and Hibs only have one more game in hand left. 

Aberdeen and Dundee’s is against each other so something has to give there (hopefully a draw) and Hibs are away to Ross County in their game. 

If we could get at least 9 points from our next 4 games (all of which have to be considered in the very winnable category), we will be in a fantastic position. Easier said than done mind you. 

8 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

All those games in hand that the teams below had have really damaged us haven’t they. 🤣🤣

Looking at what’s left, Aberdeen, Dundee and Hibs only have one more game in hand left. 

Aberdeen and Dundee’s is against each other so something has to give there (hopefully a draw) and Hibs are away to Ross County in their game. 

If we could get at least 9 points from our next 4 games (all of which have to be considered in the very winnable category), we will be in a fantastic position. Easier said than done mind you. 

I'd even say if we can pull 2 wins out of the next 2, a place in top six would be sealed and we could stop looking over our shoulder at who could overhaul us and focus solely on securing fourth. 

I know you are always quite negative, but we went toe to toe with both cheeks recently and it was fine margins that lost us the games. Yes, Killie away and Hearts at home will be tough, but there's no easy games in the premiership. What I’m saying is they are winnable with this squad. I don’t expect we will win them all, of course not, but I’m not scared of getting done over by any of those teams like I used to be. Enjoy it while it lasts Elvis, because I’m sure it won’t be like this forever. 

Edited by Friskysteed
Spelling

It's always difficult to go on a decent winning run in the top flight. An injury or suspension here and there and the momentum gets lost. Our next three games are absolutely winnable, but we've also dropped points to all those teams this season - losing to St Johnstone and County. 

I'm fairly confident that top 6 is sewn up now, the teams below us are all taking points off each other. It would be nice to get a few wins and really push on to finish fourth.

The thing that has helped us recently is taking points off our closest rivals for the top 6. The wins against Dundee, Hibs and to a lesser extent Aberdeen have really helped put us in a strong position. 

Now to cement another very positive season, we have games against the current bottom 3 coming up. I'll take that.