The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

2 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

The way I see it , both Dundee and ourselves will lose to the old firm . 

We then go to Dundee and if we get a draw there we will probably only need one more draw from tbe next two home games to get fifth place . 

I actually think the timing of the Rangers at home works for us. We need to get home form back on track and I think our 3 home results will be absolutely decisive on where we finish. We pulled off an out of nowhere performance vs Celtic last season at home and I cant see why we cant again if we rise to it. I get the fear of Rugby Park vibes for the away game at Dundee, where the big occasion gets to us. Hearts and Killie at home, I feel we have to come away from both with points.

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Ffs can't rely on Rangers to get a result against Dundee. 

We have them at home post-split. If Killie can garner multiple points off Celtic, Ross County can beat Sevco while scoring three, and Dundee can get a point off Sevco, then we should be looking to get at least a point off that shite at home. If we can’t, then we frankly don’t deserve anything better than sixth.

7 hours ago, Norrie82 said:

I thought Dundee were quite impressive tonight. We are going to need to be at our best to hold onto fifth 

I suppose the other way of looking at it as that Rangers look no great shakes. I didn't see the game last night but the consensus seems to be that Dundee were worth a point, and Ross County were certainly worth all 3 on Sunday. If we can get at Rangers, then we can cause them problems. If we score first then there's every chance we can go on to win.

It would be fucking great if we could effectively end their title push. 

Insert Kevin Keegan gif

On 17/04/2024 at 01:36, houston_bud said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/st-mirren-fairest-rangers-fixture-32602794

I'd get this article up on the changing room wall before the Rangers games. Especially this bit.

They've chosen us as the easiest away game for Rangers. It would be brilliant if we rolled them over.

Screenshot_20240417_093112_Chrome Beta.jpg

After last night Dundee will be complaining we’ve an extra home game against Rangers.

Disappointing result for us last night although not disastrous, 2pts and 5 goals ahead of them so it's still in our favour. I predict a monumental thread for the H2H against Dundee although maybe not quite as long as the season opener or last night's magnum opus.

Statin' the bleedin' obvious the H2H with Dundee is more of a "mustn't lose" for us but I reckon we'll need to find a win somewhere in one of the other 4 matches.

I am going to channel my "inner Elvis" and ask, are we ready for "the banter" from the Dundee lads when they pip us to 5th and a European spot?

Not buying into this Rangers/Dundee result fucking us over patter.

We need to look after ourselves. If we can pick up a result against the OF in the last 5 games, then great. If we don't and finish 6th behind Dundee, then thems the breaks.

It feels like we may just be running out of steam towards the tail-end of the season. Hopefully we can pick up a few decent results to get ourselves over the line.

Either way, we've had another very good season. Hopefully we can round it off by finishing 5th.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

11 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Absolutely.

The only team that will be responsible for us finishing in 6th is ourselves.

11 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

We need to look after ourselves. If we can pick up a result against the OF in the last 5 games, then great. If we don't and finish 6th behind Dundee, then thems the breaks.

It feels like we may just be running out of steam towards the tail-end of the season. Hopefully we can pick up a few decent results to get ourselves over the line.

Either way, we've had another very good season. Hopefully we can round it off by finishing 5th.

That's how I'm looking at it. Dundee getting a point last night doesn't change a whole lot, although it will give them a bit of confidence.

It's been a good season by any measure, no matter what happens in the last 5 games, but i will be a bit passed off if we're pipped by Dundee.

Fair play to Dundee though, they've had a great season, if they finish 5th then they'll deserve to.

20 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Not buying into this Rangers fucking us over patter.

*You had a good start to the season 

8 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I think any season when we finish top six can be described as a good season, irrespective of when we pick up most of our points.

It shouldn't be. You shouldve been pushing for 4th after the start you had, rather than just accepting you might not even make Europe.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

*You had a good start to the season 

We've had a good season, full stop. I do not believe we have been out of the top 6.

This is not a team that had some lucky results at the start and has been coasting since then.

33 minutes ago, Ric said:

I am going to channel my "inner Elvis" and ask, are we ready for "the banter" from the Dundee lads when they pip us to 5th and a European spot?

If Dundee do get above us then fair fcuks. They deserve that over the course of the season.

Same with Kilmarnock. They’ve really had our number under McInnes at important games between our sides. 

The league table doesn’t lie.

Our early season form was incredible but the last few months we’ve seen too many inconsistent performances. 
Winning away at Aberdeen needs to be followed up with a win away at Livingston. 

We also should have taken more from recent games away at Motherwell and Kilmarnock. 

Time for our big players to turn in some huge performances and spur the others on.

They will receive full backing from the support. COYS