The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

I can’t say I’m bothered about Hemming being unavailable. He was good in the first half of the season but looked out of his depth most weeks after Christmas, especially with cross balls and shots close to his body. He seems like a decent guy and I wish him all the best but IMO it’s not the loss some fans seem to think it will be.

There’s been more of an uproar about Hemming leaving than the 3 keepers before him and Zach was nowhere near their level!

32 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Would love to get Kwon back. With he and Baccus away we really need a box to box midfielder. 

We definitely need two centre mids, an alternative attacking option with pace and possible a centre half. I don't know how ready Luke Kenny  or Gallagher Lennon (if they sign their offered deals) would be to step in if required.

54 minutes ago, SS77 said:

I can’t say I’m bothered about Hemming being unavailable. He was good in the first half of the season but looked out of his depth most weeks after Christmas, especially with cross balls and shots close to his body. He seems like a decent guy and I wish him all the best but IMO it’s not the loss some fans seem to think it will be.

There’s been more of an uproar about Hemming leaving than the 3 keepers before him and Zach was nowhere near their level!

He was a very decent keeper I thought. He surprised many of us off the back of the feedback from Killie fans. 15 clean sheets in a season is pretty good.

I am however happy to move on and welcome the new goalie in. We have a very good record of recruiting goalkeepers and this new guy seems to have a good pedigree. Played at a few different levels and at a decent age too. A key area to have covered so early for the new season ahead.

Seen a few folk worrying that Robbo saying he's only looking for one centre mid, one forward with pace and a now signed keeper.

That's not the case though. He's said those are the priority positions he's looking to fill ASAP and then he'll take a look at what we can add on top of this.

I'd imagine another centre mid and a minimum of a left sided centre half would also be on his list on top of those for a total of six new faces in.

Posted (edited)

In addition to any players brought in, I'd hope that players like Fraser Taylor, Ethan Sutherland and Luke Kenny can be more involved with the first team next season. 

Seems like they all did well on loan so hopefully they can push their way into contention. 

Edited by saintmurn

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Would love to get Kwon back. With he and Baccus away we really need a box to box midfielder. 

He was good but is injured.  Will he be OK soon and stay fit?

As always we will have some options, but signing fit players is a normal precursor. 

26 minutes ago, saintmurn said:

In addition to any players brought in, I'd hope that players like Fraser Taylor, Ethan Sutherland and Luke Kenny can be more involved with the first team next season. 

Seems like they all did well on loan so hopefully they can push their way into contention. 

Sutherland might be the replacement for Jaden Brown as Scott Tanser’s deputy

Gallagher Lennon was also playing left back with Dumbarton I noticed

Luke Kenny will be 21 shortly, I find it strange we’ve offered him a new deal unless he’s going to be in the first team squad 

likewise, Taylor is at an age that he must either be involved with the first team otherwise what’s the point of keeping him

48 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Seen a few folk worrying that Robbo saying he's only looking for one centre mid, one forward with pace and a now signed keeper.

That's not the case though. He's said those are the priority positions he's looking to fill ASAP and then he'll take a look at what we can add on top of this.

I'd imagine another centre mid and a minimum of a left sided centre half would also be on his list on top of those for a total of six new faces in.

I think we’ll sign 2 midfielders, a left sided central defender and a forward 

maybe even a left back if we sell Sutherland 

2 hours ago, SS77 said:

I'm not sure I've seen any "uproar".

A few have said they'd like to have had him back.

Certainly nowhere near last year's meltdown when Carson was leaving. 

Hemming is a decent keeper, but certainly not irreplaceable.

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

I'm not sure I've seen any "uproar".

A few have said they'd like to have had him back.

Certainly nowhere near last year's meltdown when Carson was leaving. 

Hemming is a decent keeper, but certainly not irreplaceable.

Most posts I’ve seen on social media are folk desperate for Hemming to sign on, just passing comment that we never seen a reaction like that for the last 3 that left.

Agree on your last point - he's definitely replaceable. Fingers crossed Balcombe is a much needed improvement.

4 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Good to get someone in early. Can't say I know anything about him but a quick squint at his wikipedia page shows he's been on loan at a few English League 1 and League 2 teams, so he's played a reasonable number first team games at a good level.

Hope one of those clubs isn’t Mansfield, terrible club apparently 😄

1 hour ago, SS77 said:

Most posts I’ve seen on social media are folk desperate for Hemming to sign on, just passing comment that we never seen a reaction like that for the last 3 that left.

Agree on your last point - he's definitely replaceable. Fingers crossed Balcombe is a much needed improvement.

Oh there were definitely a few.

One poster even said we'd be 11th or 12th if we went with Hemming as No.1.:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Oh there were definitely a few.

One poster even said we'd be 11th or 12th if we went with Hemming as No.1.:rolleyes:

I’ve held my hands up for that but I’m not sure it’s relevant to the point I’m making.

There are more posts from folk begging a bang average keeper to come back than there was when three far superior keepers left!

3 hours ago, smellthepaw said:

We definitely need two centre mids, an alternative attacking option with pace and possible a centre half. I don't know how ready Luke Kenny  or Gallagher Lennon (if they sign their offered deals) would be to step in if required.

I would expect Lennon to be sent out on loan if he signs a new deal. The comments on The Terrace podcast about him have not been very complimentary so doubt he's anywhere near ready for the first team.

Just now, Stu said:

I would expect Lennon to be sent out on loan if he signs a new deal. The comments on The Terrace podcast about him have not been very complimentary so doubt he's anywhere near ready for the first team.

I watched him play a few weeks ago in the first leg of the play off semi v Stirling. I thought he looked pretty good at left centre back and was probably one of the best players on the park. He’d definitely benefit from a year in League 1 IMO.

4 hours ago, smellthepaw said:

He was a very decent keeper I thought. He surprised many of us off the back of the feedback from Killie fans. 15 clean sheets in a season is pretty good.

I am however happy to move on and welcome the new goalie in. We have a very good record of recruiting goalkeepers and this new guy seems to have a good pedigree. Played at a few different levels and at a decent age too. A key area to have covered so early for the new season ahead.

He doesn't seem to have many games under his belt and the most he has played in a season seems to be 15 .