The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Just so people can read the back story about Coventry City fans campaigning to resurrect a fixture:

https://liveinsomeothermoment.wordpress.com/2024/05/29/lets-finally-settle-the-anglo-scottish-challenge-cup/#pusb

The return was originally scheduled for 22 March 1988.

That season Saints were pumped out of defending the Scottish Cup in our first qualifying round by Clydebank 3-0 at home on 30/1/88.
Coventry City were also knocked out the FA Cup on same day at home by Watford so both clubs had potentially free Saturdays to play this return encounter.

IIRC Coventry couldn’t be arsed playing the second leg in Paisley as sponsors could not be found.

IMG_0477.thumb.jpeg.1988ffd07e72df0806c9aa35409cda94.jpeg

Some other articles:

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/forgotten-final-the-unfinished-story-of-the-1987-anglo-scottish-challenge

https://www.wsc.co.uk/book-reviews/missing-a-leg/

Having made the game in Coventry I am still a bit fcuked off that it the second leg never took place. 😂 

Fcuk them! 😜 David Speedie was and probably still is the cnuts cnut.

I’ve never seen a team I supported lose at Highfield Road. COYS UTV

From When Saturday’s Come article:

“The Anglo-Scottish Challenge. The idea – a revival of a competition first staged in 1959 – was to pit the Scottish and English FA Cup winners against each other in a two-legged final. 

St Mirren were the first winners of the Anglo-Scottish Challenge in 1959, beating Nottingham Forest 5-4 on aggregate after a 3-2 win at the City Ground in the first leg. ”

Programmes from 1959:

IMG_0478.thumb.jpeg.b97662b18b8fc10e84d97730863a8b0c.jpegIMG_0479.thumb.jpeg.92a1cf58c01cd1425aef615fe25aa28b.jpeg

Incredible to think that 20,000 went to Love Street on a Wednesday evening in 1959 for essentially a friendly.

I’m sure we must still have some supporters alive who attended that game. 

13 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Incredible to think that 20,000 went to Love Street on a Wednesday evening in 1959 for essentially a friendly.

I’m sure we must still have some supporters alive who attended that game. 

Wonder if it was similar to now, that people would take young teenagers down with them?

Or if midweek away day was more of a "only adults" thing back then.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wonder if it was similar to now, that people would take young teenagers down with them?

Or if midweek away day was more of a "only adults" thing back then.

No idea. Best to ask the auld Buddies…. 

@Wilbur 

😜 

Could that game against Nottingham Forest be our highest ever home attendance for a friendly?

Is there a trophy in the boardroom celebrating this game?

50 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Just got my first senior citizen season ticket this morning. To think my first game as a kid was 1967 being a regular ever since blows my mind. 

Some journey man.  You have seen a fair amount of highs and lows.
Outside of the Fergie era, what has been your most enjoyable season(s) or moment(s) to memory?

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

Just got my first senior citizen season ticket this morning. To think my first game as a kid was 1967 being a regular ever since blows my mind. 

You must have been a late starter 😅.  My first game was also in ‘67 and I’m still a few years away from my pension. 

12 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Some journey man.  You have seen a fair amount of highs and lows.
Outside of the Fergie era, what has been your most enjoyable season(s) or moment(s) to memory?

The transformation of the club when Fergie took control. Pre Fergie home gates were around 1,200 I remember one time it was 900 the club had fallen by the way side. It was not too long before home gates were hitting 12,000 . 1977 a mid week trip up to Dens Park would confirm we had won the league. I was 16 and won a half bottle of vodka on the bus raffle. What a night. My mind is a bit foggy but one of our first games in the top league was against Rangers at Love Street. I think it was a 3-3 . Remember it being a great game we were competing evenly. The atmosphere was electric. Another stick out was my first trip with St Mirren junior supporters to Tynecastle on a Wednesday night. Back then their was no M8 so away trips to places like Kirkcaldy the bus would leave at 10am. Plenty of great times but these wee stories stick out as magical times. Thanks for asking. 

3 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

The transformation of the club when Fergie took control. Pre Fergie home gates were around 1,200 I remember one time it was 900 the club had fallen by the way side. It was not too long before home gates were hitting 12,000 . 1977 a mid week trip up to Dens Park would confirm we had won the league. I was 16 and won a half bottle of vodka on the bus raffle. What a night. My mind is a bit foggy but one of our first games in the top league was against Rangers at Love Street. I think it was a 3-3 . Remember it being a great game we were competing evenly. The atmosphere was electric. Another stick out was my first trip with St Mirren junior supporters to Tynecastle on a Wednesday night. Back then their was no M8 so away trips to places like Kirkcaldy the bus would leave at 10am. Plenty of great times but these wee stories stick out as magical times. Thanks for asking. 

I too was at that 3-3 game.

43 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I too was at that 3-3 game.

Oh how we celebrated wee McGarvey’s goal to level the game. Doesn’t seem like it was 40 plus years ago. Great memories.:thumsup2

2 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Oh how we celebrated wee McGarvey’s goal to level the game. Doesn’t seem like it was 40 plus years ago. Great memories.:thumsup2

That was the first time I realised that Refs had different rules for two clubs.

We deserved to win that game.  What a team we had then!

6 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

That was the first time I realised that Refs had different rules for two clubs.

We deserved to win that game.  What a team we had then!

The ref was Bill Mullen , arguably , imo , the best referee the Scottish game has ever seen. I thought he was terrific that day , the pen he gave us was a stonewaller although our player didn't hit the deck , but we wouldn't have got it nowadays !

2 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Kofi Balmer off to Motherwell

Rumoured as a six figure loan  deal , we wanted him permanently !

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, billyg said:

The ref was Bill Mullen , arguably , imo , the best referee the Scottish game has ever seen. I thought he was terrific that day , the pen he gave us was a stonewaller although our player didn't hit the deck , but we wouldn't have got it nowadays !

Maybe my mind is playing tricks due to age but was Tam Forsyth sent off in the first half?

It was the first game I took my wee brother to and we were surrounded by rangers fans in the North Bank.

Edited by stlucifer

3 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Maybe my mind is playing tricks due to age but was Tam Forsyth sent off in the first half?

Think it was the 2nd half , lashed out at McGarvey , and big Jack intervened 😆

1 minute ago, billyg said:

Think it was the 2nd half , lashed out at McGarvey , and big Jack intervened 😆

Another thing I thought was McGarvey had a goal chopped off at 2-1. Or am I imagining this?

11 minutes ago, billyg said:

Rumoured as a six figure loan  deal , we wanted him permanently !

He’s signing for Motherwell permanently.