The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

59 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yes, why wouldn't you be?

I wasn't sure whether to dampen the positivity you all had for the chap after two minutes.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Baccus performs well in a World Cup and gets a dream move to Mansfield Town. An assist for a goal against Spain in a friendly could see Boyd Munce become a target for Melchester Rovers. 😜

Just to make you feel old about that reference, Roy of the Rovers stopped being published in...

...1993!

30 years ago!

Edit: A quick google and it seems they tried a reboot in 2018.

Edited by Ric

9 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Are we allowed to say he was binned at half time?

Most players make a debut as a second half sub like Conway v Finland. 

Starting a game and getting 45 mins is better than an average debut.

26 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Your presence on the thread alone did that mate xx

I will leave in a huff. Or I may leave in a minute and a huff.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I wasn't sure whether to dampen the positivity you all had for the chap after two minutes.

Still plenty of positivity on that front.

I'm not sure many players at our level can claim an assist in their international debut and against one of the best sides in the world to boot.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Still plenty of positivity on that front.

I'm not sure many players at our level can claim an asset in their international debut and against one of the best sides in the world to boot.

100%. We need to big up our players who play for their country. 

It is recognition of the work the club does to get players with the potential to step up. 

Robbo and the coaching staff are worth their weight in gold. 

Was Will Still meant to be Sunderlands first choice?

Just been announced as the new Lens manager.

40 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He was reported as such but it may have been wishful thinking/paper talk. It's genuinely unclear whether the Robinson link was legit, or Alan Nixon flat-out making things up for clicks (from angry Sunderland fans more than from us).

I do wonder if Robbo's agent is currently putting his name out there, and if the Sunderland link is just a side-effect of that. That could mean he's after a move, or digging us for an improved contract. 

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Looks like Liam Rosenior is in line for it now. Good luck to him. Horrible fucking club with fan delusion levels on a par with Aberdeen's. 

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Looks like Liam Rosenior is in line for it now. Good luck to him. Horrible fucking club with fan delusion levels on a par with Aberdeen's. 

Relatively sure Hull fans said his style of play was brutal, so aye he'll be hounded out of Sunderland by Christmas.

Seen someone say almost every manager linked with Sunderland lost interest the moment they were told how it works there. Apparently the "Sporting Director" holds huge sway over transfers/contracts and it's more a Head Coach role. Doubt Robinson would ever have gone for that model?

St Mirren Football Club can confirm that Kieran Offord has joined NIFL Premiership side

on loan until the end of the season subject to clearance. The club retains an option to recall the forward in January. We wish Kieran all the best during his loan spell.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Relatively sure Hull fans said his style of play was brutal, so aye he'll be hounded out of Sunderland by Christmas.

Seen someone say almost every manager linked with Sunderland lost interest the moment they were told how it works there. Apparently the "Sporting Director" holds huge sway over transfers/contracts and it's more a Head Coach role. Doubt Robinson would ever have gone for that model?

Aye, that checks out. That's from his wiki page. I can't get enough of jobbing Championship clubs prioritising a football philosophy over pretty much anything else. Seventh probably wasn't terrible in a difficult league last season. 🤷‍♂️

Screenshot_20240610-184120.png

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Aye, that checks out. That's from his wiki page. I can't get enough of jobbing Championship clubs prioritising a football philosophy over pretty much anything else. Seventh probably wasn't terrible in a difficult league last season. 🤷‍♂️

Screenshot_20240610-184120.png

It's mental.

I still blame Guardiola for destroying football. Games now filled with galaxy brains who think every team needs to play 600 passes a game.

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's mental.

I still blame Guardiola for destroying football. Games now filled with galaxy brains who think every team needs to play 600 passes a game.

Hard agree. I hated watching peak Spain/Barca. Technically excellent but dull as f**k. One of my favourite neutral results in a game was when the Netherlands pumped them 5-1 in 2014.

Anyway, with luck this means we can relax on Robbo until the next rumour.

1 hour ago, medals said:

St Mirren Football Club can confirm that Kieran Offord has joined NIFL Premiership side

on loan until the end of the season subject to clearance. The club retains an option to recall the forward in January. We wish Kieran all the best during his loan spell.

Good move for the lad. I expect one ir 2 more to head out on loan. 

I would send Jamieson out too

50 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's mental.

Guardiola is an absolute anti-football merchant.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Hard agree. I hated watching peak Spain/Barca. Technically excellent but dull as f**k. One of my favourite neutral results in a game was when the Netherlands pumped them 5-1 in 2014.

Anyway, with luck this means we can relax on Robbo until the next rumour.

I used to think I enjoyed watching them, but now I think I just enjoyed watching Iniesta and Messi tbh. Bayern obliterating them with counter attacking football ranks highly in my favourite games.

Just now, Richey Edwards said:

Guardiola is an absolute anti-football merchant.

Aye. Almost everything about his "style" is about reducing risk and having "control". It annoys me people talk about him being an attacking coach when really his style is incredibly cautious and safe.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Good move for the lad. I expect one ir 2 more to head out on loan. 

I would send Jamieson out too

Robinson is a big fan of Jamieson but I agree. I want him to kick on being a product of our academy but just for the life of me, can't see what he brings on a weekly basis.

Edited by djchapsticks