The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

10 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

For those that couldn’t get the stream on Saturday, here are the highlights. 

Both teams look poor at the back and up front. 

At least it was better than the Montrose result last season. 

2 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Ridiculous pricing for a pre season kickabout.

Factor in pishing rain and the Spain v France game along with the price and I'm certainly not going.

4 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Ridiculous pricing for a pre season kickabout.

Think that is the general feeling all round for this one. Would have thought a reduced price would be in order to attract what is already going to be a reduced crowd due to other factors. I am not a fan of what is typically a competitive derby being played as a friendly either tbh. Any idea how ticket sales have went on your end?

58 minutes ago, Marko van Haddock said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few bids come in for our players. 

I also reckon we would accept £250k for CBM. 

We have a habit of letting players go cheaply

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DaftTon74 said:

Think that is the general feeling all round for this one. Would have thought a reduced price would be in order to attract what is already going to be a reduced crowd due to other factors. I am not a fan of what is typically a competitive derby being played as a friendly either tbh. Any idea how ticket sales have went on your end?

I can sort of see why they've changed their arm with the higher ticket price... Make more from the people who will 100% go rather than risk a low attendance at a lower price point. (Edit: I don't agree with it, but can see why they've tried it.)

I don't think any of us are fans of the derby being cheapened by it being made a friendly, tbh. BUT it does make sense for us and our preparations: we need to get up to speed and quickly. Playing a team that will be properly trying to beat us, on a grass surface, will help a lot with finding some edge and fitness.

Edited by Coventry Saint

1 hour ago, DaftTon74 said:

I’ve no idea how many we’ve sold but, given that it’s going to be pissing down and probably windy at the WDE I would imagine that might put a good few folk off.

15 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I’ve no idea how many we’ve sold but, given that it’s going to be pissing down and probably windy at the WDE I would imagine that might put a good few folk off.

The poor weather will also hamper Morton’s open top bus parade, should they win this one.

1 hour ago, saintmurn said:

CBM is worth more to us this season than the £300k we'll likely accept. 

It will be interesting to see how he develops if he becomes a regular starter and has caught up in terms of match fitness.

For me he needs more quickness of thought, more goals and more assists.

That would justify us keeping him, given he's a player we signed for nothing and could possibly make a couple of hundred thousand for (which is what he's worth, with one year left on his contract).

If he stays and he develops into a better player then great. Equally, I wouldn't be too upset if he left.

Midfielders like BM aren't exactly thin on the ground IMO.

4 minutes ago, FTOF said:

It will be interesting to see how he develops if he becomes a regular starter and has caught up in terms of match fitness.

For me he needs more quickness of thought, more goals and more assists.

That would justify us keeping him, given he's a player we signed for nothing and could possibly make a couple of hundred thousand for (which is what he's worth, with one year left on his contract).

If he stays and he develops into a better player then great. Equally, I wouldn't be too upset if he left.

Midfielders like BM aren't exactly thin on the ground IMO.

I think given his experience at Boro and how he has got back to playing regular football along with an International cap, it would be silly to move now. 

8 minutes ago, Torfason said:

I think given his experience at Boro and how he has got back to playing regular football along with an International cap, it would be silly to move now. 

You'd think that this might have some influence over a player's decision to stay.

However, if the buying team offer a contract that's worth twice the amount we're paying him and our counter offer of an extended deal doesn't meet a player's expectations, then there's usually only one outcome.

However, any buying club has to meet or valuation.

28 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Takes something close to clinical insanity to put yourself through 2 hours of the WDE in these conditions for a friendly. Very disappointed in the whole thing from the clubs.