The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

That's a fucking big-name signing.

If I win the Euromillions on Friday I’m buying a shirt with his name on it.

5 hours ago, AW saint said:

Robbo looking to strengthen the midfield and centre back positions but still feel we need a proper no9

You mean like the one we already have on the books who was comfortably our top scorer last season? That one? 

SR on the injuries:

"I'm not a medical expert, it's a tendon injury. Conor played through it last season, we tried to go very conservative with it. He went on international duty and it flared up again and we had to make the decision to get it done. It was one of those where he was niggling all season - and fair play to the boy for playing.

Greg Kiltie - he had the same ankle injury last year and it just hasn't quite settled down after pre-season again so we need to get Greg looked at. Those are two early disappointments for us and we have got a small squad as it is so it is important we get them injuries back as quick as we can. I don't think Greg will be out a long time if anything is needed done at all but we certainly need a couple more bodies in the squad."

Edited by Buttocks Brown

13 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Tanser off injured 🤦‍♂️

Doesn't sound too major going by the post-match interview.

If we got offered £250k plus add-ons for Boyd-Munce and were fairly confident of getting a replacement I'd be tempted to take it - but if it's Wigan I'd want it up front given their financial history.

55 minutes ago, Stu said:

Doesn't sound too major going by the post-match interview.

If we got offered £250k plus add-ons for Boyd-Munce and were fairly confident of getting a replacement I'd be tempted to take it - but if it's Wigan I'd want it up front given their financial history.

Interesting how no questions were asked about the trialist or Boyd - Munce . 

11 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

2 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Interesting how no questions were asked about the trialist or Boyd - Munce . 

Article in the Herald  on Boyd-Munce. Read it online. 

3 hours ago, Road Dogg said:

You mean like the one we already have on the books who was comfortably our top scorer last season? That one? 

See him more as a 10. We need a penalty box poacher type

2 minutes ago, AW saint said:

I don't think there's anything whatsoever about Mandrons style of play that says 'number 10' to me.

He's a target man who plays well with his back to goal, holds play up and can give ball and peel off. That's definitely not a trait of a number 10

Posted (edited)

Penalty box, between the sticks strikers don't exist any more for the large part and that is because more is expected of a centre forward nowadays in terms of overall contribution.

Most play up front themselves or as part of a 3 with wide forwards. The demise of the two man pairing of old means that a proper poacher who stands about and does heehaw doesn't exist. Even look at Shankland last season, very few of his goals were ones where he was hanging out waiting for the chance, he works a lot but has goals in his game too.

Edited by djchapsticks

17 minutes ago, AW saint said:

He scored 11 goals last season playing as a target man - how does that in any way make him look like a no10?

As Chaps says, there is no such thing as a “penalty box striker” in football anymore. You don’t get guys standing around doing nothing up top anymore.

That's two friendlies and overall, Idowu apart, we haven't looked too sharp in front of goal.

Maybe if Idowu can keep banging them in, then this will  inspire others to start scoring. Or maybe he'll be the answer to our problem.

Mandron will get us goals, but he needs other forward thinking players to start contributing.

As it stands, we don't really have room for another front player, so unless one leaves, I think we'll be going with what we've got.

4 minutes ago, Road Dogg said:

Well done for coming forward and admitting you watch entire games with your eyes shut 

You been waiting all your miserable life to finally get that quote out. Well done you must be so proud

55 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Penalty box, between the sticks strikers don't exist any more for the large part and that is because more is expected of a centre forward nowadays in terms of overall contribution.

Most play up front themselves or as part of a 3 with wide forwards. The demise of the two man pairing of old means that a proper poacher who stands about and does heehaw doesn't exist. Even look at Shankland last season, very few of his goals were ones where he was hanging out waiting for the chance, he works a lot but has goals in his game too.

I get you but there are times in games where we need something different.