The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

15 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

This is going to be a hard two games given those reasons stated and the number of new players we have.

12 minutes ago, AW saint said:

This is not going to be easy and we need to be on it from the first whistle

Just wanted to wish all you faint-hearted Buddies the very best of luck for Thursday, and beyond. It may not be easy but, recent faux-rivalry aside, I hope and expect you'll make a better fist of it than your near neighbours down the M74 did.

9 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Just wanted to wish all you faint-hearted Buddies the very best of luck for Thursday, and beyond. It may not be easy but, recent faux-rivalry aside, I hope and expect you'll make a better fist of it than your near neighbours down the M74 did.

I definitely can’t be arsed with all the petty rivalry when it comes to European adventures, I want all the Scottish clubs to do well.

2 hours ago, NBr1877 said:

Hearing The Cave and De Beers are planning on showing the game on Thursday for folk that aren't making it over, hoping to see some good pics and videos from back home as well as from Iceland, buzzing for it 🍻 🇮🇸

The Cave are showing it for defo 

5 hours ago, tree house tam said:

It's really easy to get ahead of yourselves lads, talk of any other opponents apart from Valur is folly. I bet the Albanians thought they were in the driving seat after their first leg..... You boys are like that before a balls kicked.

The joys of supporting a club like ours is if you don't have dreams, you have f**k all because they generally find a way of snatching defeat. 😛

I can't imagine Robbo will be distracted or allow the team to be. 

41 minutes ago, Lola montez said:

I’d take them in the final😛😛😛

More likely we'll be backtracking on the title of this thread on Friday morning. 

☹️

Nah, only kidding !!!

😁

2 hours ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

I think we all echo this.

But reserve the right to point and laugh when Valur win 7-0 on agg

5 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Most of us have our feet firmly on the ground. No nothing about this team though I expect they have  big physical  players well ahead of us in game time. The only thing that worries me is a sell out crowd at our stadium. No idea why but large home gates are usually followed with a poor result. That's just my nerves kicking in.  PS getting a beer in for the game ?  Nearly every so called foreign beer is brewed in the UK. Lidl in stock just now has Staropramen brewed in in the Chech Republic what a difference compared to the UK brewed version. 5ltr Budvar barrow for £18 again brewed in the Chech unlike supermarket Budvar bottles brewed in the UK. The difference is night and day. 

Small can of Heineken are the only ones we can buy in UK that come from Amsterdam - I agree tho the beers in uk all brewed under licence 

6 hours ago, medals said:

Valur came from gyrfalcon... so its a falcon. Bird of prey 

4 hours ago, FTOF said:

As I said it's a gyrfalcon, which is a species of falcon found in Arctic regions

Guys, I included a link to the Wikipedia entry for a Gryfalcon in my first post!

3 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I definitely can’t be arsed with all the petty rivalry when it comes to European adventures, I want all the Scottish clubs to do well.

All of them? Nah, there are two I’d love to see being cuffed by Gibraltar Juniors 

Great to see the photos on b & w army (X) of the Saints fans heading to Iceland. Can sense their excitement and it’s beginning to feel real. Safe travels to all and here’s hoping for a decent result.

St Mirren fans in all 4 stands for i think the first time, so should be the biggest Saints crowd in years. Will be a tough tie, probably very close but hopefully St Mirren can get through

I spoke to a contact in Iceland that has been giving me loads of great info about the city etc...

He tells me that although the tickets for the home end appeared to be on general sale they weren't really, there were plenty held back to allow home supporters to take up their seats.

Once they had their window to buy then what was left went on general sale.

That is why it looked like the whole stadium was sold out last Saturday then suddenly a rake of seats appeared again on Monday.

The whole stadium is now sold out.

6 minutes ago, Buckets said:

St Mirren fans in all 4 stands for i think the first time, so should be the biggest Saints crowd in years. Will be a tough tie, probably very close but hopefully St Mirren can get through

I think we had fans in 4 stands in a post split midweek relegation crunch v Accies a few years ago.

3 minutes ago, Div said:

I spoke to a contact in Iceland that has been giving me loads of great info about the city etc...

He tells me that although the tickets for the home end appeared to be on general sale they weren't really, there were plenty held back to allow home supporters to take up their seats.

Once they had their window to buy then what was left went on general sale.

That is why it looked like the whole stadium was sold out last Saturday then suddenly a rake of seats appeared again on Monday.

The whole stadium is now sold out.

I'm stunned, I say stunned that there won't be hundreds of angry/ disappointed Valur fans gathering outside the stadium unable to get to see the game.....😅😅😅

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Guys, I included a link to the Wikipedia entry for a Gryfalcon in my first post!

The question arose and I simply gave an answer... I never sought to give the impression that I was 1st with this info...

1 hour ago, Norrie82 said:

Small can of Heineken are the only ones we can buy in UK that come from Amsterdam - I agree tho the beers in uk all brewed under licence 

I hate that they started brewing all these beers in the UK.

Moretti on tap here is like drinking piss water compared to drinking it in Italy.

Also, one of the last foreign brewed strongholds, Estrella Damm, has only started to be brewed from scratch in the UK this year. I think the bottled version is still brewed in Catalonia. 

Bedford becomes home to first Estrella Damm brewery outside of Spain - Bedford Independent

Victoria Malaga is still brewed in Spain. Although, if its popularity grows I'm sure it will be brewed here eventually.

Fortunately, Peroni red, the drinkable version of Peroni, which is one of the biggest selling beers in Italy, isn't brewed in the UK. Hard to find, but well worth it if you can get it.

The worst of all is Madri. Marketed as Spanish, but is a completely made up brand with no Spanish brewing provenance at all. There's also an Italian beer Via Roma. Both brewed by Inbev in the UK. 

The Germans have got it spot on with beer. (Becks doesn't count as it's vile) They largely keep it to themselves, although you do see quite a lot in Northern Italy for the German tourists that nip over the border for a holiday.

I told my nephew that he would experience "real beer" when he went to Germany for the Euros, as he regularly drinks "American piss water" (Budweiser). He's been converted.

Anyway, apologies for the beer related interlude.🍺

5 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I hate that they started brewing all these beers in the UK.

Moretti on tap here is like drinking piss water compared to drinking it in Italy.

Also, one of the last foreign brewed strongholds, Estrella Damm, has only started to be brewed from scratch in the UK this year. I think the bottled version is still brewed in Catalonia. 

Bedford becomes home to first Estrella Damm brewery outside of Spain - Bedford Independent

Victoria Malaga is still brewed in Spain. Although, if its popularity grows I'm sure it will be brewed here eventually.

Fortunately, Peroni red, the drinkable version of Peroni, which is one of the biggest selling beers in Italy, isn't brewed in the UK. Hard to find, but well worth it if you can get it.

The worst of all is Madri. Marketed as Spanish, but is a completely made up brand with no Spanish brewing provenance at all. There's also an Italian beer Via Roma. Both brewed by Inbev in the UK. 

The Germans have got it spot on with beer. (Becks doesn't count as it's vile) They largely keep it to themselves, although you do see quite a lot in Northern Italy for the German tourists that nip over the border for a holiday.

I told my nephew that he would experience "real beer" when he went to Germany for the Euros, as he regularly drinks "American piss water" (Budweiser). He's been converted.

Anyway, apologies for the beer related interlude.🍺

Not only that but certain parts of northern Italy such as the Sud Tyrol have huge German influence. In towns like Bolzano the architecture is very German and half the town speak German as their first language. 

50 minutes ago, medals said:

The question arose and I simply gave an answer... I never sought to give the impression that I was 1st with this info...

No probs, nothing more than me pointing out the thing you two were discussing was already linked.  :)