The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Not only that but certain parts of northern Italy such as the Sud Tyrol have huge German influence. In towns like Bolzano the architecture is very German and half the town speak German as their first language. 

Bolzano was part of the Austrian- Hungarian empire before Italy brought them into the fold. 

There's a beer up there called Forst which is Italian brewed but is essentially Austrian, which you see around Lake Garda.

Apparently Forst own Menabrea which is making something of an appearance in UK bars.

Forst World | Forst

image.png

Just now, FTOF said:

Bolzano was part of the Austrian- Hungarian empire before Italy brought them into the fold. 

There's a beer up there called Forst which is Italian brewed but is essentially Austrian, which you see around Lake Garda.

Apparently Forst own Menabrea which is making something of an appearance in UK bars.

Forst World | Forst

image.png

I love Menabrea but I only ever drank it in nice ice cold bottles in Italy before it started appearing over here. I’m not as big a fan of the draft version. It’s alright but I still prefer the bottled stuff. 

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

I hate that they started brewing all these beers in the UK.

Moretti on tap here is like drinking piss water compared to drinking it in Italy.

Also, one of the last foreign brewed strongholds, Estrella Damm, has only started to be brewed from scratch in the UK this year. I think the bottled version is still brewed in Catalonia. 

Bedford becomes home to first Estrella Damm brewery outside of Spain - Bedford Independent

Victoria Malaga is still brewed in Spain. Although, if its popularity grows I'm sure it will be brewed here eventually.

Fortunately, Peroni red, the drinkable version of Peroni, which is one of the biggest selling beers in Italy, isn't brewed in the UK. Hard to find, but well worth it if you can get it.

The worst of all is Madri. Marketed as Spanish, but is a completely made up brand with no Spanish brewing provenance at all. There's also an Italian beer Via Roma. Both brewed by Inbev in the UK. 

The Germans have got it spot on with beer. (Becks doesn't count as it's vile) They largely keep it to themselves, although you do see quite a lot in Northern Italy for the German tourists that nip over the border for a holiday.

I told my nephew that he would experience "real beer" when he went to Germany for the Euros, as he regularly drinks "American piss water" (Budweiser). He's been converted.

Anyway, apologies for the beer related interlude.🍺

I enjoyed it. My brother said Lidl sticks a lot of beers brewed in their country of origin.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

I think we had fans in 4 stands in a post split midweek relegation crunch v Accies a few years ago.

Ah OK didn't know this. Might not have sold out though so this could still be a bigger crowd. Demand for if St Mirren make it through would be massive for the next tie. 

Edited by Buckets

43 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

I enjoyed it. My brother said Lidl sticks a lot of beers brewed in their country of origin.

The Johnstone Lidl currently has six packs of Victoria Malaga for £6.45.

I would like to be the first person on this thread to point out that the bird in that crest is in fact a gyrfalcon. It breeds on Arctic coasts and tundra, and the islands of northern North America and the Eurosiberian region. It is mainly a resident there also, but some gyrfalcons disperse more widely after the breeding season, or in winter. Individual vagrancy can take birds for long distances.

32 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I would like to be the first person on this thread to point out that the bird in that crest is in fact a gyrfalcon. It breeds on Arctic coasts and tundra, and the islands of northern North America and the Eurosiberian region. It is mainly a resident there also, but some gyrfalcons disperse more widely after the breeding season, or in winter. Individual vagrancy can take birds for long distances.

I did not know that.

Thank you for educating me. :rolleyes:

Leg 1 underway train to PGS. Stroll along Love Street to the airport then flight to Dublin to catch the afternoon flight to Keflavik. Bus to Reykjavik and checking in to the hotel before wandering into town for the night.

OOOOOFT !

13 hours ago, FTOF said:

I hate that they started brewing all these beers in the UK.

Moretti on tap here is like drinking piss water compared to drinking it in Italy.

Also, one of the last foreign brewed strongholds, Estrella Damm, has only started to be brewed from scratch in the UK this year. I think the bottled version is still brewed in Catalonia. 

Bedford becomes home to first Estrella Damm brewery outside of Spain - Bedford Independent

Victoria Malaga is still brewed in Spain. Although, if its popularity grows I'm sure it will be brewed here eventually.

Fortunately, Peroni red, the drinkable version of Peroni, which is one of the biggest selling beers in Italy, isn't brewed in the UK. Hard to find, but well worth it if you can get it.

The worst of all is Madri. Marketed as Spanish, but is a completely made up brand with no Spanish brewing provenance at all. There's also an Italian beer Via Roma. Both brewed by Inbev in the UK. 

The Germans have got it spot on with beer. (Becks doesn't count as it's vile) They largely keep it to themselves, although you do see quite a lot in Northern Italy for the German tourists that nip over the border for a holiday.

I told my nephew that he would experience "real beer" when he went to Germany for the Euros, as he regularly drinks "American piss water" (Budweiser). He's been converted.

Anyway, apologies for the beer related interlude.🍺

" West " has a German licence to brew beer to German standards which is inspected once a year in Glasgow by the German brewing standards regulator so it's certified   Starting to get excited about the game now it can be screened. 

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Leg 1 underway train to PGS. Stroll along Love Street to the airport then flight to Dublin to catch the afternoon flight to Keflavik. Bus to Reykjavik and checking in to the hotel before wandering into town for the night.

OOOOOFT !

Not sure if you’ve been before buddie, but if not, enjoy the bus journey into Reykjavik. You’ll think you’re on the moon. 

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Conditions looking nice and Scottish, too. Hope all the travelling Saints have a class time.

image.png.eefd60ecf2cbdbedcd146b8721b2bcf1.png

Especially this man😍.

99% of folk laughed at him for daring to have a bit of ambition for the club, even some St.Mirren fans. His dream is now our reality.

Screenshot_20240724_111500_X.thumb.jpg.b22bad04261de4fd3ab1c99175c53cdc.jpg

10 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Especially this man😍.

99% of folk laughed at him for daring to have a bit of ambition for the club, even some St.Mirren fans. His dream is now our reality.

Screenshot_20240724_111500_X.thumb.jpg.b22bad04261de4fd3ab1c99175c53cdc.jpg

Was literally about to post that pic. Those shots of him looking miserable have fairy done the rounds on here - when he had the temerity to say we could challenge for top six or even top four.

This won't last forever - we might get pumped tonight, theres a good chance we're not top six this year - but Tony fucking believed and here we go.