The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

10 minutes ago, The Great Stagsby said:

"The breakfast cereals derby."

(Just nipped in for quick scroll through fan reaction to your game... Saw this, had to Google to check if even real... Apologies if already been covered / joked about...)

The Norwegian side dominated possession. It really was All Brann.

7 hours ago, jaybeee said:

sorry but while Springsteen is fantastic.  his songs are certainly "American triumphalism, it doesn't make the man a bad singer, because he certainly isn't, but his songs do showcase some of the arrogance of certain American viewpoints.  Trump epitomises those elements.

Bizarrely find myself “defending” Springsteen when I’m not all that bothered about him, but I think I need either you or @Ric to define “American Triumphalism” for me and give me an example of a song that fits the definition (or better still a few songs seeing as it’s apparently prevalent through this material.. 

If we get through, and we face Brann - they’re toast. If it’s the Eagles, could be heartache tonight.

There literally is too much low hanging fruit, should we go down this path. Need to get past Valur though, then we’ll all be dancing in the dark.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

If we get through, and we face Brann - they’re toast. If it’s the Eagles, could be heartache tonight.

There literally is too much low hanging fruit, should we go down this path. Need to get past Valur though, then we’ll all be dancing in the dark.

I don’t think Brann have the fibre to get through that round and when The Eagles do I think they are going to have a bit of bother with the new kid in town. 
Don’t know about you, but I’ve got a peaceful, easy feeling we’re sailing through to the play off round. 

3 hours ago, The Great Stagsby said:

"The breakfast cereals derby."

(Just nipped in for quick scroll through fan reaction to your game... Saw this, had to Google to check if even real... Apologies if already been covered / joked about...)

Don't worry our team are cereal killers

Anyway, back to the football.....................

A bit of a worry that four first picks are injured already.

Hopefully Iacovitti's injury clears up quickly and CBM's isn't as bad as has been suggested.

I know Taylor was much improved in the 2nd half, but you'd have to imagine that since we paid a fee for Iacovitti, he wasn't signed to be a sub.

With Rooney available for the 2nd leg, you would presume that he will start in some capacity.

Does he go in for Elvis or does Fraser move to LCB and Rooney plays RCB?

Decisions to be made in midfield too and up top.

I suspect for the latter, that we'll persevere with Olusanya and Mandron.

Does Idowu start in midfield or do we, presuming CBM isn't fit, go with O'Hara, Adeniran and Smyth?

Lots of important decisions to be made by Robbo.

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Hopefully Iacovitti's injury clears up quickly and CBM's isn't as bad as has been suggested.

I know Taylor was much improved in the 2nd half, but you'd have to imagine that since we paid a fee for Iacovitti, he wasn't signed to be a sub.

With Rooney available for the 2nd leg, you would presume that he will start in some capacity.

Does Idowu start in midfield or do we, presuming CBM isn't fit, go with O'Hara, Adeniran and Smyth?

Indeed. Also Tanser. I recon he'll be sub but get on late on for a run if at all possible. 

Smyth maybe to sub with Roland starting too would be my preference. 

Rooney? How fit/match fit is he? 45/60 mins? Possibly better to start him.

Taylor is fine at LCB. He's quick, tackles well, good in the air and can play out well. 

Worry is that ball in behind RCB for 1 on 1's with Goga

38 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Personally, I think big Den for CBM will be the only change to the starting XI.

9 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Personally, I think big Den for CBM will be the only change to the starting XI.

Rooney will start ahead of Elvis, he didn’t sign to be a back up player

If he’s 100% fit he’ll start on Thursday.

53 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Rooney will start ahead of Elvis, he didn’t sign to be a back up player

If he’s 100% fit he’ll start on Thursday.

That's my thinking too.

He'll push up further than Elvis and he's a threat from set plays.

I think it will be Rooney in for Elvis and Idowu in for CBM. Idowu looked so lively on Thursday and was running at players in a way, OHara,CBM and Smyth can't. 

Considering the injuries, it's a shame that it looks like one or other with Tanser and Brown. Both are good footballers.

Would be great if Brown could tuck in and play on the left hand side of our midfield 3. Tanser in his normal position.