The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

A fully fit squad will give us decent options. However we must simply have to get a striker before we play Dundee. 

Injuries are killing us right now. 

We are also trying to play players who havent had much football in months

Another striker won't make any difference, we simply aren't making chances for them to miss. Not getting the clamour for another forward when it's glaringly obvious the problem is chance creating not finishing. We need a creative midfielder way more than another striker imo.

Also going to be very difficult to get any decent striker to sign when all we seem to be doing is shelling long aimless balls over the midfielders heads. The strikers look poor as they are getting no decent service what-so-ever.

All that said if we had a chance to ship out Ayunga in favour of another striker I would as he simply doesn't look the same player since his injury time out. That's the only option I can see where we might make a change up top but as it stands I see little changing even with a new striker unless we get that ball down and start creating proper chances.

We've had a really tough run of games where it was always going to be difficult to pick up wins. I think we have suffered though because the midfield has been so unsettled.

CBM-Adeniran-Idowu

Taylor-Smith-Idowu

MoH-Gogic-Phillips

That's been the middle of the park for us the last 3 games. All over the place because of injuries and also because I think the boss is still trying to work out the best configuration. Hopefully, that will click into place the next few weeks.

Understand the angst about the forwards but all chipped in with goals last season. No reason why that won't happen again. We need a solid midfield behind them though.

49 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Another striker won't make any difference, we simply aren't making chances for them to miss. Not getting the clamour for another forward when it's glaringly obvious the problem is chance creating not finishing. We need a creative midfielder way more than another striker imo.

Also going to be very difficult to get any decent striker to sign when all we seem to be doing is shelling long aimless balls over the midfielders heads. The strikers look poor as they are getting no decent service what-so-ever.

All that said if we had a chance to ship out Ayunga in favour of another striker I would as he simply doesn't look the same player since his injury time out. That's the only option I can see where we might make a change up top but as it stands I see little changing even with a new striker unless we get that ball down and start creating proper chances.

We have a creative player in Kiltie. Problem is he is injured. 

McMenamin, Idowu and Adeniran are seen as creative players.  I agree I would have brought in a more creative player but our strikers are poor. 

Ayunga is not doing it. 

Once everyone is fit our frontline looks our weak link

That is why imo I think we need a forward

18 minutes ago, AW saint said:

We have a creative player in Kiltie. Problem is he is injured. 

McMenamin, Idowu and Adeniran are seen as creative players.  I agree I would have brought in a more creative player but our strikers are poor. 

Ayunga is not doing it. 

Once everyone is fit our frontline looks our weak link

That is why imo I think we need a forward

Big Ayunga is becoming Robinson’s ‘Jonah’. Can’t understand how he’s started so many games so far this season.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

I think it will once we get our injured players back.

We have to speculate to accumulate IMO.

4 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Just shows how moving clubs doesn't always work. Zach Hemming is having a mare for his new club. His boss slated him in the press. 

Bet he wishes he could have stayed with us.

Glad he didn't. Punching your chest and waving a flag about only hides mediocrity for so long before you get found out.

I've been harsh on Balcombe so far for his lack of command of his box, but he's a clear improvement on Zach.

3 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

We've had a really tough run of games where it was always going to be difficult to pick up wins. I think we have suffered though because the midfield has been so unsettled.

CBM-Adeniran-Idowu

Taylor-Smith-Idowu

MoH-Gogic-Phillips

That's been the middle of the park for us the last 3 games. All over the place because of injuries and also because I think the boss is still trying to work out the best configuration. Hopefully, that will click into place the next few weeks.

Understand the angst about the forwards but all chipped in with goals last season. No reason why that won't happen again. We need a solid midfield behind them though.

I agree here that there has been no settled midfield and that in itself can cause issues and also that once  all of our players are up to speed with fitness and how we intend to play things will get better.

However, I just can't see the same player in Ayunga that i had seen before his injuryas a forward threat. 
We need a different option up top, whether its another target man or a creative player, im sure the manager is already in pursuit of someone else.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Glad he didn't. Punching your chest and waving a flag about only hides mediocrity for so long before you get found out.

I've been harsh on Balcombe so far for his lack of command of his box, but he's a clear improvement on Zach.

I think there's a distinct lack of understanding between Balcombe and our central defenders, he seems too quiet . For all Zak's wee errors last season , I just felt we were more settled in defence than we are now. 

7 hours ago, saintmurn said:

Aye he's having a nightmare down there. Always came across as a nice lad so I really hope he gets it together. 

Most over rated keeper I’ve ever seen at St Mirren. Delighted we’ve upgraded to Balcombe.

7 hours ago, saintmurn said:

Aye he's having a nightmare down there. Always came across as a nice lad so I really hope he gets it together. 

He is absolutely brutal - looking like the first half of last season where he played decent was just a fluke rather than the norm.

Balcombe is a great shot stopper but on the evidence so far that's all I've seen. Poor at crosses and his kicking is terrible. A combo of him and Hemming would be ideal but goalkeeper is far from the biggest concern right now so I'm happy enough with him just like I was with Hemming last season. 

15 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Big Ayunga is becoming Robinson’s ‘Jonah’. Can’t understand how he’s started so many games so far this season.

100%.

He has been absolutely useless. He literally can’t seem to do anything right, yet Robbo keeps picking him. I just don’t understand it.

I’m still clinging onto the hope that as we let Jamieson go (who I didn’t rate either) it was paving the way for a new striker. 🤞🤞

58 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

100%.

He has been absolutely useless. He literally can’t seem to do anything right, yet Robbo keeps picking him. I just don’t understand it.

I’m still clinging onto the hope that as we let Jamieson go (who I didn’t rate either) it was paving the way for a new striker. 🤞🤞

If a new attacking player is not signed before the weekend I'd be amazed

If we don’t sign another decent striker it’s going to be a long season. Neither Ayunga or Mandron give the impression that they can do the job. 

Ayunga is not the player he was pre the bad injury, and while it’s harsh on him, his body language suggests that his head is elsewhere.

Rumours are he wants to go back down the road, so maybe that’s an option, if he leaves to bring in another front man.

Mandron is capable and it’s still relatively early in the season so maybe if he can find last seasons form it will help our cause.

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

So he'll be gone.

Shame in many ways but cost us only his wages and the costs associated with a player.

Got to be more than 150k. We need to reinvest it in better players.

45 minutes ago, medals said:

So he'll be gone.

Shame in many ways but cost us only his wages and the costs associated with a player.

Got to be more than 150k. We need to reinvest it in better players.

Bid was £250k 

We should be looking at double that although we would probably deal at £350k

We don't need the cash as such so can hold out for a better fee. 

2 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

If we don’t sign another decent striker it’s going to be a long season. Neither Ayunga or Mandron give the impression that they can do the job. 

Ayunga is not the player he was pre the bad injury, and while it’s harsh on him, his body language suggests that his head is elsewhere.

Rumours are he wants to go back down the road, so maybe that’s an option, if he leaves to bring in another front man.

Mandron is capable and it’s still relatively early in the season so maybe if he can find last seasons form it will help our cause.

If Ayunga wants to go back down the road then best to move him on. He looks way short on what is required for the league. 

Mandron is worth keeping but we need better strikers.