The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, Div said:

Be mental to turn our nose up at KVV despite his age and lack of football, given how many goals he scored in the Premiership just two seasons ago.

That said, we don't really have months to wait for a player to get up to speed and there is also a genuine question about how many chances we're actually creating for any striker to thrive off. It's not been that many to be fair.

We've got a good squad, but when you look around the Premiership I think you could say that about most of the teams to be honest. It's going to be very, very fine lines between "success"  and failure this season. A couple of key additions in the next couple of days could make all the difference, particularly with a few players missing and quite a few of the new boys still struggling to get fully match fit.

We need the modern day equivalents of John Sutton and Charlie Adam.

35 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

We need the modern day equivalents of John Sutton and Charlie Adam.

Absolutely, the best St.Mirren deadline day of all time.

2 hours ago, Div said:

Be mental to turn our nose up at KVV despite his age and lack of football, given how many goals he scored in the Premiership just two seasons ago.

That said, we don't really have months to wait for a player to get up to speed and there is also a genuine question about how many chances we're actually creating for any striker to thrive off. It's not been that many to be fair.

We've got a good squad, but when you look around the Premiership I think you could say that about most of the teams to be honest. It's going to be very, very fine lines between "success"  and failure this season. A couple of key additions in the next couple of days could make all the difference, particularly with a few players missing and quite a few of the new boys still struggling to get fully match fit.

It seems to me that most of the players we've signed fall into that category, with a few having a history of niggling injuries.

Probably the reason why we've been able to sign them, but it would be nice to sign a match fit player.

23 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Man City and Chelsea were monitoring Ethan when he was at Alloa. So Wolves would be wanting to get a transfer done quickly.

Love this!

12 hours ago, Stu said:

Guessing Sutherland will have featured more for Alloa than he did for us.

He was a regular starter for Alloa from when we signed him (January?). We didn't have a recognised left back, and Ethan switched between that position and wide left attacker. We had Bobby Wales (Killie) and Taylor Stevens (St Johnstone) too and together they were excellent and terrific to watch.

Didn't see a move like this coming, but there’s talent there so he might do well. Exciting for him.

5 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Deal to Wolves done with final paperwork signed tomorrow. 

Right Robbo lets see some incomings. 

LJ and Ethan away so squad 2 down. 

Don’t forget young Offord out on loan in Northen Ireland scoring 3 in 3 games. That’s another space in the squad.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

Don’t forget young Offord out on loan in Northen Ireland scoring 3 in 3 games. That’s another space in the squad.

Ffs I forgot about him. 

Would love 2 attacking players to come in. 

The purpose of the youth system was to develop our own young players, but it seems now that they rarely get time in the first team before they are snapped up by the English academy system. 

It's not the clubs fault but the sale of Sutherland is  another and it's so disappointing. I hate the fact players are moving into U23 football instead of being in the first team squad. 

11 hours ago, AW saint said:

Ffs I forgot about him. 

Would love 2 attacking players to come in. 

I’d like a striker and a winger to come in, Robinson seems to like players who can cover a few different positions, with that in mind I’m not hopeful but a natural winger would be good.

1 minute ago, flyingscot said:

The purpose of the youth system was to develop our own young players, but it seems now that they rarely get time in the first team before they are snapped up by the English academy system. 

It's not the clubs fault but the sale of Sutherland is  another and it's so disappointing. I hate the fact players are moving into U23 football instead of being in the first team squad. 

Is that not a feature of where we are in the pyramid, our current side is far better than the ones say Mallan & Morgan broke into - I'd say what upsets me more is that Sutherland is still in that 200/300k  price range - it should be more as we're not uberdiddies any more.

1 minute ago, btb said:

Is that not a feature of where we are in the pyramid, our current side is far better than the ones say Mallan & Morgan broke into - I'd say what upsets me more is that Sutherland is still in that 200/300k  price range - it should be more as we're not uberdiddies any more.

Clearly our first team is better but these guys are getting snapped up earlier. Both Mallan and Morgan were Sutherland's age when they started getting into the first team and both stayed for 3 and 4 seasons before leaving. They also left to other first teams rather than academy systems. Compare that to Reid, Sutherland and Campbell and it's very different. 

As much as I'd love the club to be getting better fees, the EPL sides would wait and pay development fee. The gamble is the sell-on which if it works for the players and he's sold for millions means we get more. Obviously we could see them kick around the academy, get to 22 with zero first team football and leave to be back in the Scottish Prem or L1 in England. 

Players like Sutherland & Reid have to be exceptional when they head down south if they want to progress.  At their age , they are going head to head with youngsters who’ve been in their system for a decade and will normally be streets ahead of them In ability.
Very few Scottish 16,17 & 18 year olds moving to premier clubs will make it but you can’t criticise their desire to give it a shot. 
Good luck to Sutherland, hope he cracks it big time. 

35 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

That's the thing, players the likes of Ethan are on the cusp of being a first team player with us, though not quite yet. They are also not ready for the likes of Wolves either, though they will be able to speed up his development with their infrastructure and the level their unders/reserves players play at vs ours up here.

36 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I’d like a striker and a winger to come in, Robinson seems to like players who can cover a few different positions, with that in mind I’m not hopeful but a natural winger would be good.

I can't see that being a big ask, though I do think one forward may have to leave as one comes in. A wide player would be useful too.

48 minutes ago, btb said:

Looking at what Celtic and Rangers received for Doak (£600k) and Gilmour (£500k) for example. Higher fees for players not playing first team, though both bigger clubs and the players having multiple suitors interested at the time as their profile was high. 

With all due respect to us a club, Sutherlands lack of first team exposure in a team of our size, brings his value down imo.

Edited by smellthepaw

59 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Looking at what Celtic and Rangers received for Doak (£600k) and Gilmour (£500k) for example. Higher fees for players not playing first team, though both bigger clubs and the players having multiple suitors interested at the time as their profile was high. 

With all due respect to us a club, Sutherlands lack of first team exposure in a team of our size, brings his value down imo.

Higher fees for better players, it's much harder to stand out in Celtic or Rangers youth academies than it is at a St Mirren.

I'd say 300k is a fair fee hoping there's a future sell on clause % too