The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

38 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

What does this have to do with being charged with assault?

Zero. 

Honestly my comment was not meant to be in direct reference to this particular incident. 

I can now see why there was such a negative reaction.

Apologies for any misunderstanding.

I will reserve judgement until the facts are known.

Assuming he is convicted, and he's not jailed, which is quite likely given prison overcrowding, surely the club could fine him, rather than terminate his contract? Perhaps have him do work in the community? I think there's something to be said for rehabilitation and giving folk second chances.

8 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Allegedly directing homophobic slur being directed at an 18 year old boy is not a “fairly minor offence” in this day and age.

The manager won’t leave a job because of his player being a fanny either, that’s just a knee jerk reaction.

f**k off ya wee p**f is a sacking offence ?

https://therealefl.co.uk/2024/09/27/west-brom-and-burnley-show-interest-in-lincoln-city-star/

West Bromwich Albion and Burnley are leading the race to sign Lincoln City’s highly-rated midfielder Ethan Erhahon, as reported by TBR.

The midfielder has attracted significant interest from Championship clubs following his impressive performances since joining Lincoln from St Mirren in 2023. Erhahon, a former Scotland Under-21 international, has quickly established himself as one of the best defensive midfielders in League One, with his stock rising due to standout performances this season.

Lincoln’s head coach, Michael Skubala, has openly admitted that keeping hold of Erhahon will be difficult with interest mounting from clubs in the Championship. Lincoln’s director of football, Jez George, echoed this sentiment earlier in the year, telling BBC Radio Lincolnshire, “I don’t think clubs in the Championship will be doing their jobs properly if there wasn’t interest. He has been exceptional.”

Erhahon’s strong start to the season has bolstered his reputation, and George has hinted that a record-breaking transfer could be on the cards for Lincoln. “I’d be amazed if Erhahon does not become the most expensive export in Lincoln’s history when the time comes to leave Sincil Bank,” George admitted.

While Lincoln would be reluctant to lose their star midfielder, George has made it clear that the club would not stand in his way if the right offer materialized. “It’s about career progression and the right club. If the right club comes in with the right financial package for Ethan that could be life-changing, quadrupling his wages, and it is an absolutely huge number for Lincoln City, then as a football club we have to look at that,” he added.

Interest in Erhahon has come from several Championship clubs, with West Brom and Burnley leading the charge. Both teams are fighting for Premier League promotion and are keen to strengthen their squads. Erhahon, who idolizes Manchester City’s Rodri, has spoken openly about his desire to develop his game and help his team control the midfield. “Rodri is not just one of the best defensive midfielders in the world, he’s one of the best players. You can see how important he is to Man City, and I want to replicate that at Lincoln,” Erhahon said  in a recent interview with The Football League Paper.

Both West Brom and Burnley have gaps to fill in their midfield after losing key players in the summer. West Brom’s Okay Yokuslu returned to Turkey to rejoin Trabzonspor, while Burnley’s Sander Berge made a move to Fulham. With both clubs looking for reinforcements, Erhahon’s skill set makes him an ideal candidate to fill the void.”

2 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Assuming he is convicted, and he's not jailed, which is quite likely given prison overcrowding, surely the club could fine him, rather than terminate his contract? Perhaps have him do work in the community? I think there's something to be said for rehabilitation and giving folk second chances.

Genuine question, if the sole reason for him not going to prison was overcrowding and not because of guilt, why should that lessen the clubs response?

That's just a by product. They have a decision to make based on his guilt, not his punishment by the system.

4 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

If that transpires, then the first home game where he’s out warming up, and the stadium announcer is giving it the ‘race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or simply supporting an Old Firm team’ no-no list of abuse speech, will be a fun one.

11 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Far too sensible for a football forum. 

8 minutes ago, Molotov said:

https://therealefl.co.uk/2024/09/27/west-brom-and-burnley-show-interest-in-lincoln-city-star/

West Bromwich Albion and Burnley are leading the race to sign Lincoln City’s highly-rated midfielder Ethan Erhahon, as reported by TBR.

The midfielder has attracted significant interest from Championship clubs following his impressive performances since joining Lincoln from St Mirren in 2023. Erhahon, a former Scotland Under-21 international, has quickly established himself as one of the best defensive midfielders in League One, with his stock rising due to standout performances this season.

Lincoln’s head coach, Michael Skubala, has openly admitted that keeping hold of Erhahon will be difficult with interest mounting from clubs in the Championship. Lincoln’s director of football, Jez George, echoed this sentiment earlier in the year, telling BBC Radio Lincolnshire, “I don’t think clubs in the Championship will be doing their jobs properly if there wasn’t interest. He has been exceptional.”

Erhahon’s strong start to the season has bolstered his reputation, and George has hinted that a record-breaking transfer could be on the cards for Lincoln. “I’d be amazed if Erhahon does not become the most expensive export in Lincoln’s history when the time comes to leave Sincil Bank,” George admitted.

While Lincoln would be reluctant to lose their star midfielder, George has made it clear that the club would not stand in his way if the right offer materialized. “It’s about career progression and the right club. If the right club comes in with the right financial package for Ethan that could be life-changing, quadrupling his wages, and it is an absolutely huge number for Lincoln City, then as a football club we have to look at that,” he added.

Interest in Erhahon has come from several Championship clubs, with West Brom and Burnley leading the charge. Both teams are fighting for Premier League promotion and are keen to strengthen their squads. Erhahon, who idolizes Manchester City’s Rodri, has spoken openly about his desire to develop his game and help his team control the midfield. “Rodri is not just one of the best defensive midfielders in the world, he’s one of the best players. You can see how important he is to Man City, and I want to replicate that at Lincoln,” Erhahon said  in a recent interview with The Football League Paper.

Both West Brom and Burnley have gaps to fill in their midfield after losing key players in the summer. West Brom’s Okay Yokuslu returned to Turkey to rejoin Trabzonspor, while Burnley’s Sander Berge made a move to Fulham. With both clubs looking for reinforcements, Erhahon’s skill set makes him an ideal candidate to fill the void.”

That would be brilliant for Ethan - hopefully it materialises and he can take that next big step in his career.

13 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Would you be saying the same if it was a shite player?

3 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Genuine question, if the sole reason for him not going to prison was overcrowding and not because of guilt, why should that lessen the clubs response?

That's just a by product. They have a decision to make based on his guilt, not his punishment by the system.

If his crime's sufficiently serious, then he will still receive a custodial sentence. I mean, if he's rag-dolled this woman and left her with serious injuries. I'm guessing that's not the case though, otherwise there would probably have been something in the press or on social media. 

Given that, plus the overcrowding issue, I think it's unlikely he will get the jail. Total speculation on my part, though. 

If he's not jailed, he cannot be considered to be that much of a menace to society and can continue to play. 

I don’t really rate the boys intelligence, so this all doesn’t entirely surprise me. 

But he’s entitled to a process and fair hearing from police and his employer. Folk are far too quick to jump in with their views. 

4 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

If his crime's sufficiently serious, then he will still receive a custodial sentence. I mean, if he's rag-dolled this woman and left her with serious injuries. I'm guessing that's not the case though, otherwise there would probably have been something in the press or on social media. 

Given that, plus the overcrowding issue, I think it's unlikely he will get the jail. Total speculation on my part, though. 

If he's not jailed, he cannot be considered to be that much of a menace to society and can continue to play. 

Hmm, that last part isn't really the issue. No one is suggesting he's a predator or a danger, it's about the clubs moral take on it. 

And they have to decide what they think is palatable based on whether he's guilty or innocent.  Jail time doesn't really come into it if he's found guilty IMO.

19 minutes ago, billyg said:

f**k off ya wee p**f is a sacking offence ?

If I called someone in my work a poof and there was CCTV or documented evidence of it, I reckon I'd be out the door without question.

And that is probably one of the most mild of the homophobic terms. There are a lot, lot worse things to say that are certainly more the reason for things like hate speech law coming into force than the term above.

Edited by djchapsticks

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

It 100% would be in my workplace.

Aye, and would be in a significant majority of workplaces.

Will of course await the outcome of the legal process, however, as I said in my initial post on this, it does bother me that players behave in a moronic way when they should be holding themselves to higher standards.

We often hear about it being a short career, so why spend time acting the fanny during it, to the detriment of that very career, and the employers and supporters who have put their faith and trust in you.