The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

On 29/09/2024 at 10:07, AW saint said:

He is a bit too loyal to certain players but he is able to keep the group onside by not slagging them in public. 

I would however love Robbo to cone out and have a go at officials. We are shafted more often than not. Killie game the exception. 

McInness did it after our game and still goes on about it. Robbo is too nice in his interviews. 

Call out the bad decisions ffs

Easy way to get touchline ban. He even referenced it in one interview on Saturday - he was calculated, ensuring what he said would still see him on the touchline next weekend.

2 hours ago, codfish said:

Easy way to get touchline ban. He even referenced it in one interview on Saturday - he was calculated, ensuring what he said would still see him on the touchline next weekend.

He won't get a ban if he says it in post match interview. McInness, Docherty etc do it. 

Don't want to be accused of shit stirring but I take it everything is OK at SMiSA? One of the directors on the club board stood down last week, now someone else has left the SMiSA board.

Probably total coincidence but after the nonsense that went on a year or two ago I thought I'd ask the question.

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Don't want to be accused of shit stirring but I take it everything is OK at SMiSA? One of the directors on the club board stood down last week, now someone else has left the SMiSA board.

Probably total coincidence but after the nonsense that went on a year or two ago I thought I'd ask the question.

Yeah money troubles.

We've got so much we don't know how to spend it - but give us some time.

13 hours ago, Stu said:

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. It's a huge commitment on a voluntary basis to be on the committee or as a board member, that can take up a lot of your personal time. 

If you are retired, you probably have a bit more time to commit to, though in saying that, if you are tasked with something that requires a lot of your personal time, it can possibly be a bit demanding at a time when you are looking to wind down. 

I’m becoming a big fan of Killian Phillips, both in terms of his performances on the pitch and how he comes across in interviews. He seems to have a really good attitude.

“I think I am getting there. I had a tough pre-season as I didn’t really have much of one at Palace. That is my first full 90 since March and I still think that there are another level or few to go.”

3 hours ago, Life During Wartime said:

I’m becoming a big fan of Killian Phillips, both in terms of his performances on the pitch and how he comes across in interviews. He seems to have a really good attitude.

“I think I am getting there. I had a tough pre-season as I didn’t really have much of one at Palace. That is my first full 90 since March and I still think that there are another level or few to go.”

Totally agree. Been really impressed with him so far. 

He looks a player. 

12 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

At this stage, is there much point in having an academy?

Yeah , I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth the bother anymore. Trying to think of a good example of how this sort of thing changes a club's way forward. eg If you look at Derek Johnstone , who was in the RFC first team squad at 15 and scored the winner in a LC Final at 16. Arsenal or Chelsea etc could just come and take him now offering him mega dosh and RFC would need to suck it up , it's all wrong but how do you sort it ?

Recently we have sold Dylan Reid, Murray Campbell and Ethan Sutherland all with sell on clauses. 

And of course John McGinn has made us more money than any other player. Lewis Morgan and Jamie McAllister also brought in cash.

So while the first team may not benefit greatly from the Academy the Club does.

9 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Recently we have sold Dylan Reid, Murray Campbell and Ethan Sutherland all with sell on clauses. 

And of course John McGinn has made us more money than any other player. Lewis Morgan and Jamie McAllister also brought in cash.

So while the first team may not benefit greatly from the Academy the Club does.

I think the De Barros situ is different because he's only 15 ?

ETA , Reid and Sutherland had signed pro contracts , so we got a fee and arranged sell-ons , Campbell , I think , just walked away. I heard he stopped turning up at training because he knew he was off ?

Edited by billyg

If Callan Hamill at St Johnstone is anything to go by then De Barros can’t make a cross border move until he turns 16 which by that point we’d be due training compensation.

I’m not 100% sure but I don’t think he can just walk away for nothing.

28 minutes ago, billyg said:

I think the De Barros situ is different because he's only 15 ?

ETA , Reid and Sutherland had signed pro contracts , so we got a fee and arranged sell-ons , Campbell , I think , just walked away. I heard he stopped turning up at training because he knew he was off ?

We got money for Campbell but it would’ve been the minimum amount set by either FIFA or UEFA.