The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

32 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Did I hear a small section booing at the end of the game ? Please tell me I didn't.

Why not?

Yesterday was abysmal.

We failed to beat a pretty poor team. Yes, we were understrength, but United were missing key players too. The fact that we didn't test a defence with Declan Gallagher in it is damning in itself.

People are entitled to their opinion. I'm sure there were a lot of pretty angry and frustrated people yesterday. We all express ourselves in different ways.

Some people are mentioning that KVV did very little. Our delivery into the box yesterday, on the odd occasion it happened, was dreadful. If we create chances for him and he'll score. Yesterday we created nothing. Although, that's what happens when your main "creative" midfielder passes the ball back or sideways. 

You could see he was a step above our other forwards. Most of his touches were one touch and were brilliant. Unfortunately, the players his flicks and passes fell to couldn't deliver.

Also, I thought the ref had a very decent match. Although, the assistant ref missed a few offsides in the second half. Crucially, one which led to the corner that they scored their goal from.

James Scott was an inch away from curling one in the top corner yesterday, if he scores that then I doubt anyone is giving him stick.

It seems like he’s a very easy target for fans to take frustrations out on no matter what he does.

I thought yesterday was really dissapointing.

KVV - i heard people in stands giving him stick but he was getting no service. Probably our only striker who can take a ball to feet with his back to goal without a 5 metre first touch or decking it. He distrubtued the ball to the side but as usual we turn back. 

Gaffer said the formation wasnt the issue.  Concern is the midfield were all first choice picks in grand scheme of things and havent really been delivering. Could even argue front three would be first choice picks with maybe exception of Idawu.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Why not?

Yesterday was abysmal.

We failed to beat a pretty poor team. Yes, we were understrength, but United were missing key players too. The fact that we didn't test a defence with Declan Gallagher in it is damning in itself.

People are entitled to their opinion. I'm sure there were a lot of pretty angry and frustrated people yesterday. We all express ourselves in different ways.

Some people are mentioning that KVV did very little. Our delivery into the box yesterday, on the odd occasion it happened, was dreadful. If we create chances for him and he'll score. Yesterday we created nothing. Although, that's what happens when your main "creative" midfielder passes the ball back or sideways. 

You could see he was a step above our other forwards. Most of his touches were one touch and were brilliant. Unfortunately, the players his flicks and passes fell to couldn't deliver.

Also, I thought the ref had a very decent match. Although, the assistant ref missed a few offsides in the second half. Crucially, one which led to the corner that they scored their goal from.

Agree with all that but booing for me helps the nervous system come to the fore. Been watching Saints since 1967 . Have seen it's effects many times over. I was hurting leaving the stadium yesterday we will come good I believe. 

2 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Agree with all that but booing for me helps the nervous system come to the fore. Been watching Saints since 1967 . Have seen it's effects many times over. I was hurting leaving the stadium yesterday we will come good I believe. 

We will only come good if the manager stops being loyal to those not performing and his side ways, backwards football. 

Heard so many people say we will be fine once McMenamin is back. Based on his form for us so far I have my doubts. 

We miss Bolton from the back and a midfielder who drives the team on. 

Both CBM and MOH to an extent don't really move the ball forward. Even our short passing in midfield was suspect. 

So we're not firing on all cylinders yet.

I do think overall we have a good squad.

Main coach has just changed and a fair number of players have not got match fit or been available.

Nothing changes things like the positive momentum of winning.

Next the Hearts again and an interesting set of fixtures. We need to be fit and driven, more forward thinking and clinical.

Scott and Van Veen to start banging in goals and less profligate at the back.

P.S. Idowu waltzes by folk for fun, he will improve.

Edited by medals

The numbers at home games continues to amaze me. 7106 yesterday with hundreds of empty seats in the away end. 

Excluding the play-off, these are our pre-Robinson attendances against Dundee Utd stretching back 10 years:

4894, 3965, 6214, 4768, 2766, 3612, 2511, 4245.

2 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

The numbers at home games continues to amaze me. 7106 yesterday with hundreds of empty seats in the away end. 

Excluding the play-off, these are our pre-Robinson attendances against Dundee Utd stretching back 10 years:

4894, 3965, 6214, 4768, 2766, 3612, 2511, 4245.

Thanks for this.

Better atmosphere and great for additional funds - some of which could improve squad budget and hopefully quality too.

We all hope the likes of Van Veen starts scoring pretty regularly, so maybes other (s) could potentially improve us even more etc. January and beyond.

Thought Smyth was excellent when he came on. Moved the ball on quickly and invariably forward. He and Scott played at a much higher tempo. As a result the whole team quickened up. No surprise that we began to look more threatening in the latter stages after they came on

I looked at the table this morning and was pleasantly surprised to see we are 6th. 6th! After what most of us think has been a really average start to the season. Perhaps time to take stock and realise we're not as bad as we all think?

Don't get me wrong, this year Top 6 will be harder than the last few years, and there are certainly areas of the park where we're struggling, but it's not all bad.

And for the record when I left the ground on Saturday I was as furious as everyone else. 

On 06/10/2024 at 09:37, zildjian said:

I thought yesterday was really dissapointing.

KVV - i heard people in stands giving him stick but he was getting no service. Probably our only striker who can take a ball to feet with his back to goal without a 5 metre first touch or decking it. He distrubtued the ball to the side but as usual we turn back. 

Gaffer said the formation wasnt the issue.  Concern is the midfield were all first choice picks in grand scheme of things and havent really been delivering. Could even argue front three would be first choice picks with maybe exception of Idawu.

100% agree on KVV. If you fail to provide him the balls, he's not going to convert. He barely got any of the ball as we were playing a lot out wide to put in crosses, which in mosts cases were dreadful. You play a pass or a cross to KVV with success in or in around the box, he will make use of trying to get a shot away. He wasn't supplied either unfortunately.

We haven't had a settled midfield all season and it's hard to pick our full starting midfield when fit with the numbers we are carrying. Phillips and O'Hara would be good for a start. Phillips chases absolutely everything like his life depends on it and O'Hara our captain when he is at the top of his game. Idowu, and Smyth looked very tidy players and Adenarin looks the part when he plays. CBM is a good player, though hes not been consistent enough for me so far this season. Kiltie is just returning, then you have McMenanamin also due to come back.

14 hours ago, Danny said:

Thought Smyth was excellent when he came on. Moved the ball on quickly and invariably forward. He and Scott played at a much higher tempo. As a result the whole team quickened up. No surprise that we began to look more threatening in the latter stages after they came on

When you consider we never fell out of the top 5 all of last season, it just shows how tough it is to stay in that half of the table.

14 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

When you consider we never fell out of the top 5 all of last season, it just shows how tough it is to stay in that half of the table.

Not helped by ref and VAR Decisions against Motherwell. 

Add in games like Saturday, where although we didn't play great, better finishing could have won us points, so we could be sitting far better off.

Against Aberdeen we were not far off them, but look at the momentum they've got with win after win.

We need to string good wins together and it's a real possibility we'll finish top 6 again.

Always a big ask, but a good cup run is always welcomed too.

42 minutes ago, medals said:

Not helped by ref and VAR Decisions against Motherwell. 

Add in games like Saturday, where although we didn't play great, better finishing could have won us points, so we could be sitting far better off.

Against Aberdeen we were not far off them, but look at the momentum they've got with win after win.

We need to string good wins together and it's a real possibility we'll finish top 6 again.

Always a big ask, but a good cup run is always welcomed too.

Yeah, I agree aside from Saturdays performance we still have the potential to have a similar outcome to last season. It usually plays out that the teams that have got off to a half decent start points wise will soon start to drop points. 

We have the absolute makings of a top 6 side when I look at our squad. As you say, we have been unlucky with certain things happening this season already against us, though I believe we have a stronger squad than last season.

With all due respect I cant see Motherwell or Dundee Utd holding their places for long. Killie will come good soon.

Biggest disappointment for me on Saturday was the total lack of urgency. Only Taylor, Toy and Philips looked like they wanted to win the game. The amount of side and back passes and high balls to no-one was ridiculous. Smyth and Scott also showed some urgency when they came on but why were we not starting like that instead of waiting until we were a goal down late in the game?

We need to show desire from kick off.

3 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Biggest disappointment for me on Saturday was the total lack of urgency. Only Taylor, Toy and Philips looked like they wanted to win the game. The amount of side and back passes and high balls to no-one was ridiculous. Smyth and Scott also showed some urgency when they came on but why were we not starting like that instead of waiting until we were a goal down late in the game?

We need to show desire from kick off.

I put that down to a complete lack of options. We didn't have enough movement in the middle to front so the defence tried to find options but in the end simply had to launch it. 

Utd simply has to maintain their shape and let their defence header it away. 

Hoping Kiltie and McMenamin can provide something different after the break.