The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Dons' legend / dire pundit Willie Miller said on the radio today that Jim was his pick for the Aberdeen job.

When Jim was PT at Alloa he, inexplicably to some, knocked us back before Stubbs was appointed. Said he didn't think the timing was right: https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/columnist/no-time-for-reminiscing-as-jim-goodwin-prepares-alloa-for-st-mirren-test/

Aberdeen, in this instance..... there's ample time to build a team for 22/23. Would he want to work for Dave Cormack though? The role of Scott Brown? I may be wrong but my hunch is he'll want to at least see the season out with us.

If he does go though then I'm pretty sure that the blow will be cushioned by the return of Jack Ross shortly afterwards!

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well yeah, and both were tap ins. He doesn't strike the ball well when he has to look at the keeper too, from what I saw, so will likely miss more chances that aren't tap ins than he scores.

I'm just trying to discuss a player, not criticise him or St Mirren, so quite why you've gone straight into defense mode and criticised a Saints player I dunno, it's just a bit sad. You are allowed to talk about other clubs players without having to gauge them against your own.

You're the one who criticised the Saints player. We're the Saints, you're the Saintees.  

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Not gonna lie, the Dons thing is making me nervous.

Jim's on the cusp of guiding us to our highest finish in a very long time. Fourth genuinely isn't out the question. I hope he'll see the appeal in pushing for that and becoming even more of a legend at out club.

Ach, we'll just have to pinch Imrie, cut 30 miles a day off his commute!

13 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Not gonna lie, the Dons thing is making me nervous.

Jim's on the cusp of guiding us to our highest finish in a very long time. Fourth genuinely isn't out the question. I hope he'll see the appeal in pushing for that and becoming even more of a legend at out club.

I'm actually not too nervous about it. It would be a shame, but at the end of the day we have a decent squad and some momentum. It's not often losing a manager mid season in that position makes much difference. Longer term it can be a bit more of an issue I suppose, especially as we probably need to replace Alnwick in the summer.

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Literally every manager and member of the Coaching staff has a release clause, that being another club willing to pay out the remainder of the contract.

So if JG is on say £1,500 a week til Summer 2024, the release will be around £180k and will go down with every passing week.

Aye that wasn’t what I was querying, I was assuming that as standard after the whole Jack Ross debacle a few years back. The point I was questioning was my interpretation of that tweet being the amount would be the same as Goodwin would be due were he to be paid off. If that was the case for Stubbs it would have cost us a fortune but I’m sure it was reported he was due a years worth when he was sacked. In any case, no real worry as Goodwin being paid off would not be of concern anytime.  

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah I'm not calling him shite or anything, and think players like him are valuable in this league. Just haven't seen anything from him to suggest he'll score anything other than tap ins regularly, and you don't get a huge amount of them over a season.

I don't think we've had a good "penalty box striker" since the 80's, so if that's "all" he is, I'd still be really happy.

FWIW, I think he is much more then that. He can hold it up, mix it with defenders and when he gets the ball, his first thought is to go towards goal. Some of his strikes have lacked power but most of them have been on target. He also is quite an intelligent footballer - it was his run that caused panic in the Kelty defence and ultimately the 4th goal yesterday.

I think you need to cut us a bit of slack- we have spent the last two seasons watching Erwin and Main blunder about up front, so it's justified to get a wee bit excited when we find we actually have not one but two proper strikers at the club.

Edited by Hendo

6 minutes ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

That Ronan is a handy player. I reckon we could afford the 500K. 

JG will get his man in the end. 

Massive club like Aberdeen the price would be £1 million.  I mean you guys have won European trophies and everything.  You should make a bigger deal of that.

18 minutes ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

That Ronan is a handy player. I reckon we could afford the 500K. 

JG will get his man in the end. 

On 12/02/2022 at 14:04, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

They get paid more a week than I do a month, most of them. 

Not having that shit that they'll have been working towards blah blah. How many punters are working towards paying for a ticket etc every week? 

It's apples and oranges I'm afraid and aside from severe personal abuse players, especially the current Aberdeen crop, should be fucking sick- not because they've let themselves down. Because they've let down folk who work all week to see them play and hopefully win. 

This would be different if it was a one off. 

Its damn near every away game. 

Players have to take it. Fans (within reason) can say what they like. Can't agree with this at all. 

Absolutely and if he doesn’t play well, you can verbally abuse him……………………because you pay his wages……….

as without you he wouldn’t have a job.

Edited by Torfason

13 minutes ago, Saint Shug said:

Pretty sure you were all thinking the same with Jamie McGrath. 

How did that work out for you?

Give him a break.  It's easy to take the mick but how many of us could handle the pressure of being an Aberdeen fan...

30 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

James McLean allegedly talked him out of it.

Thankfully. 

Take away the penalties & there isn’t much left. 

Given the footage below of McGrath's last game against Aberdeen I think he would have improved your team.

Keystone Cops Gif GIFs | Tenor