The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Even though he went to a different league, I felt a lot worse losing Jack Ross to Sunderland than I do at the prospect of losing JG to Aberdeen to be honest.

My main worry is that if he does go, will be who he takes with him from our playing squad. 

Safe to say he can't sign anyone except out of contract players. We need to rebuild in the summer anyway. 

There are plenty managers around to replace Goodwin. Ross, Lennon or Adams would do. McInness could have been in the job already if our form hadnt changed. Rumours are Goodwin was on a shaky nail so perhaps he sees this as justice and will move on. 

It would be good to get a head of the game asap just in case. It looks like he will be away. 

15 minutes ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

I find this a little odd tbh.

Always thought Jim was doing a good job but it could be argued that only now is that success shining through. Obviously Aberdeen can eventually grant him bigger things than Saints but only if he survives, and Cormack just emptied his pal after less than a year. 

I think he'd be a good appointment for Aberdeen and I can see why given the quality of the loan players you have this season he'd maybe be sceptical about rebuilding as-well next time around, but I find it a little lame if he doesn't want to see out what will likely be his best season with St Mirren. 

He'll earn multiples, potentially 4/5 times, at Aberdeen than he would at St Mirren, and will have huge amounts of money to spend on players too. They offer ridiculous money to players and I think have chucked £500k worth of fees about in a few recent windows now.

The only folk who don't seem to realise quite how big the financial gulf between Aberdeen and St Mirren is seems to be St Mirren fans. Its shite but Aberdeen can obliterate the majority of this league financially so that'll be a massive draw for managers.

41 minutes ago, McG said:

What loyalty? He owes us nothing.

Need it done and dusted and a replacement sounded out before Saturday though.

A loyalty that we gave him a chance and that with a quarter left he might see it through. Is it too much to ask. I don’t think that he will get triple wages up there either . Double maybe but security absolutely none 

14 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Safe to say he can't sign anyone except out of contract players. We need to rebuild in the summer anyway. 

There are plenty managers around to replace Goodwin. Ross, Lennon or Adams would do. McInness could have been in the job already if our form hadnt changed. Rumours are Goodwin was on a shaky nail so perhaps he sees this as justice and will move on. 

It would be good to get a head of the game asap just in case. It looks like he will be away. 

Unless you're meaning Danny Lennon or Tony Adams you can pap both of those c***s right in the sea.

If Goodwin does go, and I still think he's better than that fucking Aberdeen outfit and their Moon Howler Chairman, I assume he'd take the backroom staff with him. Lee Sharp, McManus, Patterson and Langfield? Anyone left that Hibs haven't already bought? 

Suppose if JR, or whoever comes in next, they'll bring their own people.  

Interesting few days ahead, I think. 

I'm fucking fed up with Aberdeen treating us as a feeder club.

Alex Ferguson, Steve Cowan, Dougie Bell, Peter Weir, Billy Stark, Frankl McDougall, David Winnie, Ian Cameron, Ricky Gillies.

If Goodwin jumps ship I wish him nothing but ill will and hope he's back to selling chocolate biscuits within a few months.

Edited by Arch Stanton

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Even though he went to a different league, I felt a lot worse losing Jack Ross to Sunderland than I do at the prospect of losing JG to Aberdeen to be honest.

My main worry is that if he does go, will be who he takes with him from our playing squad. 

Luckily thanks to Jack Ross we are quite used to that. Alnwick must be first up on his list to replace that diddy up there already. Ideally it will be sorted in the next day or 2 paving the way for Jack Ross’ return billed as unfinished business. 

16 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Luckily thanks to Jack Ross we are quite used to that. Alnwick must be first up on his list to replace that diddy up there already. Ideally it will be sorted in the next day or 2 paving the way for Jack Ross’ return billed as unfinished business. 

At the time it definitely felt like JR had unfinished business with us, then he fcked us over time and time again 😂. Would he even drop back down to our level of wage structure?

Feels like Goodwin has unfinished business here too though. Would rather Goodwin stayed but I'm not starting to doubt whether that will happen. 

If we can't get JR in as a replacement, the thought of the list of shite the media spurn out is giving me the fear already. 

7 hours ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

If Goodwin does go, and I still think he's better than that fucking Aberdeen outfit and their Moon Howler Chairman, I assume he'd take the backroom staff with him. Lee Sharp, McManus, Patterson and Langfield? Anyone left that Hibs haven't already bought? 

Suppose if JR, or whoever comes in next, they'll bring their own people.  

Interesting few days ahead, I think. 

Sharp would go but McManus was here long before Goodwin so I imagine he would stay. Same could be said for Langfield but there is the Aberdeen link with him.

Scott Burns is usually good for Saints transfers and is well connected at Aberdeen (think that's who he supports) so would imagine there's a lot of truth in the reports. If Goodwin goes I would be more than happy if we could get Ross back. Having him in charge and a healthy bit of compensation from Aberdeen would be decent business. Not sure who else is out there that would be as good a fit.

I'm fucking fed up with Aberdeen treating us as a feeder club.
Alex Ferguson, Steve Cowan, Dougie Bell, Peter Weir, Billy Stark, Frankl McDougall, David Winnie, Ian Cameron, Ricky Gillies.
If Goodwin jumps ship I wish him nothing but ill will and hope he's back to selling chocolate biscuits within a few months.
They not take Love Street toilets too? Aberdeen really just want to be us.