The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

33 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

At the time it definitely felt like JR had unfinished business with us, then he fcked us over time and time again 😂. Would he even drop back down to our level of wage structure?

Feels like Goodwin has unfinished business here too though. Would rather Goodwin stayed but I'm not starting to doubt whether that will happen. 

If we can't get JR in as a replacement, the thought of the list of shite the media spurn out is giving me the fear already. 

He was snidey in his last minute transfer dealings but guess he was only doing what he thought was right for Hibs.  Unfortunately that was temporarily to the detriment of Saints twice, missing out on a hastily arranged third time with McGrath. He was rumoured to be interested in the Killie, could probably replace Killie with just about any other team, I don’t think he would be against coming back if the board are still fond of him. 

Can’t blame Goodwin if he does take the Dons job, he’s looking after his own interests and that of his family. 

Its not that long ago that many of us were questioning his stubborn tactics of early season 3 at the back shambles. I’m sure his jacket was on a shoogly peg at one point.

I would at this point like to see him stay and finish the season, because we’re in a good place and flying at the moment. His departure at this time could well be a distraction we don’t need as we chase a top six place, and a possible cup semi-final place.

Massive risk for him taking the Dons job, as he could be another Glass and be out on his arse within a year.

12 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Can’t blame Goodwin if he does take the Dons job, he’s looking after his own interests and that of his family. 

Its not that long ago that many of us were questioning his stubborn tactics of early season 3 at the back shambles. I’m sure his jacket was on a shoogly peg at one point.

I would at this point like to see him stay and finish the season, because we’re in a good place and flying at the moment. His departure at this time could well be a distraction we don’t need as we chase a top six place, and a possible cup semi-final place.

Massive risk for him taking the Dons job, as he could be another Glass and be out on his arse within a year.

Well if the guy a few posts above is to be believed Cormack is no longer pursuing him but his head has been turned now and probably looking for a gig down south the only one I know that is going is Bradford.

2 minutes ago, elvis said:

Well if the guy a few posts above is to be believed Cormack is no longer pursuing him but his head has been turned now and probably looking for a gig down south the only one I know that is going is Bradford.

I’d be happy if he stays and at least see out the season with us. We’re in a great position to finish top six and a possible cup semi-final. 

That would be a massive boost to his cv.

If Goodwin goes, Goodwin goes, we can't be precious about it, because we weren't precious about him leaving Alloa. That's just the way football is.

I'd rather he didn't go, and to be honest, I don't think Aberdeen is all that much of a step up, especially the mess they are in now, but if he wants genuinely big jobs then he'll get more recognition if he manages to get a tune out of Aberdeen than taking a more provincial club to the higher reaches of the league.

As for his replacement, I actually don't want Ross to return but I have to accept he would be one of the best options should Goodwin go, and while Ross may feel coming back here is a step back, considering the clubs he's managed, this is a St Mirren team that is settled and playing well. It's pretty rare to find that as a manager, normally it's a metaphoric bomb site when a manager leaves.

All in all, we have a good team on the park, and Goodwin spent nigh on 4 months continuing with a formation that simply wasn't working and only he couldn't see it, I just hope the board, if Goodwin goes, finds a decent manager who understands this team doesn't need "their stamp" on it, it just needs kid gloved and see where our season goes.

Of course, the laugh would be him rocking up at Aberdeen and immediately switching them to a 3-5-2!

1 minute ago, Ric said:

If Goodwin goes, Goodwin goes, we can't be precious about it, because we weren't precious about him leaving Alloa. That's just the way football is.

I'd rather he didn't go, and to be honest, I don't think Aberdeen is all that much of a step up, especially the mess they are in now, but if he wants genuinely big jobs then he'll get more recognition if he manages to get a tune out of Aberdeen than taking a more provincial club to the higher reaches of the league.

As for his replacement, I actually don't want Ross to return but I have to accept he would be one of the best options should Goodwin go, and while Ross may feel coming back here is a step back, considering the clubs he's managed, this is a St Mirren team that is settled and playing well. It's pretty rare to find that as a manager, normally it's a metaphoric bomb site when a manager leaves.

All in all, we have a good team on the park, and Goodwin spent nigh on 4 months continuing with a formation that simply wasn't working and only he couldn't see it, I just hope the board, if Goodwin goes, finds a decent manager who understands this team doesn't need "their stamp" on it, it just needs kid gloved and see where our season goes.

Of course, the laugh would be him rocking up at Aberdeen and immediately switching them to a 3-5-2!

Good post. If Goodwin goes, he goes. We’ll move on. Maybe with Jack Ross, which would be fine by me. Maybe with Neil Lennon, which would be interesting as fcuk. Let’s be honest, if it was him, and he did OK, we’d love it. Love it in a ‘he used to be a kunt but he’s our kunt now’ way. Maybe we’d go with whoever Alloa have now. Maybe Pep is fed up winning all the time at Man City. Maybees aye, maybees naw. Maybees I don’t really care too much because, just like players coming and going in jig time these days, there’s feck’ all we can do about it, so don’t let it bother you.

19 minutes ago, elvis said:

The chap has been at the wind-up throughout. Cormack will still be screaming down the phone with his horrendous accent convincing Goodwin of the move if the papers are to be believed. 

25 minutes ago, elvis said:

You believe a guy who posts under the name of Barry Fergusons hat? 😅

Just now, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

Some casual fans who lived through the 80's hold this opinion, not actual fans. 

Those of us born well after the successes of the 80's and any fan who regularly attend matches are much more grounded. 

I couldn't tell you if St Mirren fans are stuck in the past as a retort, mind. Considering the footnote of irrelevance they are in the Scottish football story.

Great last line. Made me laugh. Have a greeny. 😎

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

At the time it definitely felt like JR had unfinished business with us, then he fcked us over time and time again 😂. Would he even drop back down to our level of wage structure?

Feels like Goodwin has unfinished business here too though. Would rather Goodwin stayed but I'm not starting to doubt whether that will happen. 

If we can't get JR in as a replacement, the thought of the list of shite the media spurn out is giving me the fear already. 

Anytime Allan McManus steps in as caretaker he does a good job team play well and look organised if Goodwin leaves that would be my choice. Jack Ross does well again he will be off with a click of the finger. Adams is a wee shit but a wee shit with good experience and a level of success down south would be interesting.  Lennon I'm not so sure. It's quite frustrating being a wee feeder club we always have been but more so in these modern times .  You think your club is doing well then a hard slap in the face gives you the reality of being a St Mirren fan. As a young man I used to hear older people say. I used to go to Love Street but stop going as they always sold the best players. Being out of town I feel like that right now : (

Considering the footnote of irrelevance they are in the Scottish football story.

:lol:

Literally the greatest time in your club's history wouldn't exist without St Mirren. I like the "they aren't real fans" comment too. That's always funny when people try to make that claim.

Aberdeen fans (in general, you understand, not you specifically) are not even close to the OF in regard of arrogance regarding their position within Scottish football, but they are out on their own in 3rd place (unlike their real world experience).

2 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Anytime Allan McManus steps in as caretaker he does a good job team play well and look organised if Goodwin leaves that would be my choice. Jack Ross does well again he will be off with a click of the finger. Adams is a wee shit but a wee shit with good experience and a level of success down south would be interesting.  Lennon I'm not so sure. It's quite frustrating being a wee feeder club we always have been but more so in these modern times .  You think your club is doing well then a hard slap in the face gives you the reality of being a St Mirren fan. As a young man I used to hear older people say. I used to go to Love Street but stop going as they always sold the best players. Being out of town I feel like that right now : (

If anyone who follows a Scottish senior team stops going because they sell their best players, they need a wee lie down, some tablets, and a slap across the ashet administered with cries of ‘get a grip man’.

There are only two realistic options when JG goes

1.  Callum Davidson - you know he wants to move to the big Saints.
  2.  Dougie Imrie - returning to the ground where he spent the happiest 18 months of his playing career.

They aren't. When I have discussions with folk at work about the football, they were all regular attendees in the 80's and no longer go. These are the guys who make wild shouts for managers, expect us to be challenging for the league etc. Ken? 

We'll see Aberdeen's place in Scottish football when we nab your pishy wee manager from your pishy wee IKEA stadium in pishy wee Paisley. 

We are massive. Goodwin would roll over like a dog if Cormack asked. 

We're just taking him for a laugh. 

Now you see the first post was funny, this one was that troublesome follow up post that just sounds like you shouting into the wind now.