The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

If we can somehow figure out a way to win points consistently from teams we don't expect to turn the bulk of possession over to along with keeping on doing what we do against sides that we DO surrender the ball to, we'll be in a really sweet spot next season.

Only if we keep our best players and recruit well in the summer.

SMISA have £336 k in the bank, i'd be in favour of turning that over to the club as long as its ring fenced to get our best players to sign longer contracts.

27 minutes ago, Hendo said:

SMISA have £336 k in the bank, i'd be in favour of turning that over to the club as long as its ring fenced to get our best players to sign longer contracts.

Sadly not. We've just been quoted for, and signed off on, the construction of a secret project, The Kibble Monorail, which as it happens is costing £335,999. It's going to put Paisley on the map.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Sadly not. We've just been quoted for, and signed off on, the construction of a secret project, The Kibble Monorail, which as it happens is costing £335,999. It's going to put Paisley on the map.

But I don't want to go to Brockway, Ogdenville or North Haverbrook.

I think the plights of 2 teams who qualified for Europe last season (Motherwell & Dundee Utd) should act as cautionary tales for us. It doesn't take much for everything to unravel.

Motherwell have been resurgent under Kettlewell but they completely failed to build on last season and looked doomed for awhile. At the same time, the financial rewards that came with finishing top 6 have disappeared in paying off not one, but two managers.

Dundee United..... like Motherwell they felt compelled to spend hundreds of thousands paying off 2 managers. And may well go down anyway.

For us, there's not going to be a huge turnover in players so stability should help but you never know what's round the corner. Hopefully, Robinson signs a new deal.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Don’t.  zingali will believe this 

2 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I think the plights of 2 teams who qualified for Europe last season (Motherwell & Dundee Utd) should act as cautionary tales for us. It doesn't take much for everything to unravel.

Hopefully, Robinson signs a new deal.

This ^^

Losing Dunn, Main, Joe and some others could go either way.

My fear is what are the chances of SR getting better replacements? 

His signings last windows set the bar OR are the rod he will be beaten with IF he is still with us.

Getting top 6 next season will likely be far harder for us, but very dependent on who we sign.

Main was fab yesterday but should have sealed the 3 points with a hat-trick.

2 hours ago, Biscuits said:

Don’t.  zingali will believe this 

Youve got about 12 months until he brings it up again though, tbf

We had a makeshift forward line yesterday so we can't be too harsh on Main. 

Curtis has been superb this season. Would love him to stay. 

If he is to leave a few more goals in the next two games would be a perfect sign off. 

6 hours ago, Hendo said:

Or what about chartering a couple of flights to wherever Saints are playing in Europe , and sorting out a favourable deal for Saints fans .