The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

As someone who is fat, approaching 40 and baldy (but thankfully not speccy), the sheer demographic of fat, baldy, speccy St. Mirren da's in their 50s and 60s going all purple-faced and outraged is quite a sight to behold.

Edited by djchapsticks

Robo had said recently he had offers out to 2 defenders and 2 strikers. Does this matter if Dunne or Main sign on again?! 

Does this include the 2 rumours in Jacob Bedeau (left sided centre back) and Kieran Bowie (Scottish striker from Fulham)?

If it doesn't include them you would hope with Small being loaned to end of year and no chat on Tait whose contact is due to end this year that the 2 defenders can play wing backs and potential centre back cover. 

3 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

Robo had said recently he had offers out to 2 defenders and 2 strikers. Does this matter if Dunne or Main sign on again?! 

Nah, he said offers are there irrespective of existing contract offers being accepted.

This does make me think that the offers are for one centre half and one full back though.

25 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

Does this include the 2 rumours in Jacob Bedeau (left sided centre back) and Kieran Bowie (Scottish striker from Fulham)?

If it doesn't include them you would hope with Small being loaned to end of year and no chat on Tait whose contact is due to end this year that the 2 defenders can play wing backs and potential centre back cover. 

They are also simply offers... no contracts signed in regards to this.

There will be more offers than signings.

38 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Nah, he said offers are there irrespective of existing contract offers being accepted.

This does make me think that the offers are for one centre half and one full back though.

I didn't think it included anything with Bowie or Bedeau as both in contract with their teams. 1 it's a loan and other it's about what willing to pay. 

I'd hope with the likes of Small, Dunne and potentially Shaughnessy leaving it be left sided players.

Fraser and Flynn fill in for Strain. And right footed. With Small and Dunne off you would hope the focus is on left side, but it's hard to cover. 

3 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

I didn't think it included anything with Bowie or Bedeau as both in contract with their teams. 1 it's a loan and other it's about what willing to pay. 

I'd hope with the likes of Small, Dunne and potentially Shaughnessy leaving it be left sided players.

Fraser and Flynn fill in for Strain. And right footed. With Small and Dunne off you would hope the focus is on left side, but it's hard to cover. 

Dunne has already been replaced by Taylor on the left and looked like an upgrade based on Saturday

I wouldn’t mind getting Small on loan for next season, he’s beginning to come on to a game now as well 

Edited by Captain_Sensible

1 hour ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Dunne has already been replaced by Taylor on the left and looked like an upgrade based on Saturday

I wouldn’t mind getting Small on loan for next season, he’s beginning to come on to a game now as well 

Agreed on both.

I do think a first choice left sided centre back will be the priority though. Robinson did use the word 'project' in relation to Taylor just a few weeks back but I don't have anything like the reservations I maybe did a month or so ago.

Small is going to develop into a really good player. He's not consistent yet but if he was, he'd be getting Premiership minutes by now and not loaned out.

I think some of those defenders will definitely be fullback/wingbacks, especially if we are playing the same way we do now. We ask a lot of Strain/Tanser and they don't really have 90 minutes of it in them. It makes a real difference in the last 10-15 mins, especially on the right hand side if Strain is either off and replaced by Flynn or Fraser, who just don't have that game, or if he stays on but he's fucked. Tait being out for the season had a big impact on us I think.

28 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Agreed on both.

I do think a first choice left sided centre back will be the priority though. Robinson did use the word 'project' in relation to Taylor just a few weeks back but I don't have anything like the reservations I maybe did a month or so ago.

Small is going to develop into a really good player. He's not consistent yet but if he was, he'd be getting Premiership minutes by now and not loaned out.

In terms of Taylor, I think the “project” will be learning on the job as a first team regular.

If he’s trusting him as first choice over Dunne against top 6 sides in a battle for Europe then I reckon he’ll be first choice next season

We shall see though. I was unsure of him initially but, like you, my reservations are evaporating 

17 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

In terms of Taylor, I think the “project” will be learning on the job as a first team regular.

If he’s trusting him as first choice over Dunne against top 6 sides in a battle for Europe then I reckon he’ll be first choice next season

We shall see though. I was unsure of him initially but, like you, my reservations are evaporating 

You could well be correct.

Bedeau is apparently the person we've identified as first choice Left CB but if Morecambe aren't willing to play ball, then I'd feel pretty comfortable with Taylor there and another brought in to fight for what would then be Taylor's spot.

If Bedeau does sign though, he's definitely not joining to be backup. He's been a bit of a standout in a really poor Morecambe side.

3 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Club are doing great business early. Season tickets on sale already and pre season games announced. Loving the improvement within the club. 

Will be renewing. Might as well, eh? 😎

22 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

You could well be correct.

Bedeau is apparently the person we've identified as first choice Left CB but if Morecambe aren't willing to play ball, then I'd feel pretty comfortable with Taylor there and another brought in to fight for what would then be Taylor's spot.

If Bedeau does sign though, he's definitely not joining to be backup. He's been a bit of a standout in a really poor Morecambe side.

With Shaughnessy not yet signed, Gallagher not being fully fit and Dunne away, we definitely need another central defender if we’re going to continue with 3 at the back. 

I don’t know much about Bedeau (I keep thinking of ‘Any which way you can’ when I see this name) but maybe he can also play in the centre?

Strength in depth! 

Edited by Captain_Sensible

11 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

With Shaughnessy not yet signed, Gallagher not being fully fit and Dunne away, we definitely need another central defender if we’re going to continue with 3 at the back. 

I don’t know much about Bedeau (I keep thinking of ‘Any which way you can’ when I see this name) but maybe he can also play in the centre?

Strength in depth! 

I'd argue the piece as well - maybe harshly - that Marcus Fraser is more suited as an option at Centre half than a guaranteed first choice every week.

From what I can see, yeah they go between a back 3 and back 4 and he can play anywhere left or centre in that setup.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

He's been a bit of a standout in a really poor Morecambe side.

Better last season than this, and question marks about him in the air?

bed.thumb.png.025d67552fe92af0652867451efc5dbb.png

Heavily suspect this seasons stuff is just him being dragged by playing with utter dross around though, mind you.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd argue the piece as well - maybe harshly - that Marcus Fraser is more suited as an option at Centre half than a guaranteed first choice every week.

From what I can see, yeah they go between a back 3 and back 4 and he can play anywhere left or centre in that setup.

Fraser can either play right back in a 4 or right of a 3, but he's never played for us as one of 2 centre halves and according to Ross County fans, he's really suspect when asked to do that. 

I like Fraser though, usually fairly reliable (brain fart against Hibs apart).

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

£35 for an U12 in West stand is just superb value.

My stepdaughter's wee girl is desperate for a ticket next season again after her first season going to games. Poor deluded bugger thinks it's always as good as losing only 3 games at home all season. :lol:

This is true, however the jump to £165 once they turn 13 is a bit steep.