The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

36 minutes ago, Div said:

This is a very different summer transfer window to what we've been used to over the years where we have either come out of a relegation scrap, or we've got a new manager on board who wants to shape the squad his way.

We've currently still got the majority of the regular staring first team players who got us that top six place last season. Of the ones that have left Main is obviously the big one, and I suppose you could make a case about Dunne, but less so I feel.

Erm, you could definitely make a case about Dunne 😁

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Happy to see him back for a year but I'll be honest, I'm gutted if this means that ends the chase for Bedeau.

No chance we'll be bringing in another CH with Fraser, Dunne, Taylor, Gallagher and Gogic on the books.

Time to put that rumour to bed.

I'll get ma coat.

Just now, Div said:

No chance we'll be bringing in another CH with Fraser, Dunne, Taylor, Gallagher and Gogic on the books.

Time to put that rumour to bed.

I'll get ma coat.

Not another left sided centre half at least, but we definitely need to strengthen the centre of defence.

Gallagher had his injury issues towards end of the season, Fraser is probably good enough to be a squad player and Gogic should be playing midfield every week.

A centre half is still a priority for me.

Just now, Div said:

Erm, you could definitely make a case about Dunne 😁

Think it shows how Dunne is rated by management.  He has occasional flaws but his speed, reading of the game and overall defensive ability is good for where we are at.

Pushes Taylor back a bit for another year though.

Think we still need a big Joe replacement too though - look how many games he played and despite SR's reluctance to play him.

Just now, medals said:

Think it shows how Dunne is rated by management.  He has occasional flaws but his speed, reading of the game and overall defensive ability is good for where we are at.

Pushes Taylor back a bit for another year though.

Think we still need a big Joe replacement too though - look how many games he played and despite SR's reluctance to play him.

I'd be starting Taylor ahead of Dunne without question. The gap in their performances towards the end of the season was night and day.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd be starting Taylor ahead of Dunne without question. The gap in their performances towards the end of the season was night and day.

Let's see how it plays out. Both capable of suspensions so either way we have good cover at LCB

1 minute ago, medals said:

Let's see how it plays out. Both capable of suspensions so either way we have good cover at LCB

I'll be honest, I'm gutted at not getting Bedeau - I'd have far rather taken him than give Dunne another year but I'm happy enough for Dunne to stay.

Is it bad that I am "disappointed" at seeing Dunne resign. Disappointed is far too harsh a word, but in many ways I was happy to see Dunne move on, and was looking for a replacement that doesn't have the foibles that Dunne has. Consistency is a key attribute to teams, and retaining Dunne helps with that. I'll not lie, I'm a bit cynical as I feel he didn't get the offer he wanted from Goodwin at United, and Aberdeen had gone cold on him under Robson, so was sort of left in limbo.

As for Nhmani, I wonder how Greive must feel. He was given more game time under Goodwin than Robinson, although the latter (and much improved) form of Main, and his partnership with Ayunga, was probably more the reason why. However, you'd think the "back up striker"/"development player"/"random foreigner" gig was pretty much Greive's. Obviously our options up front are pretty mince. Watt and Main are gone, the former I'm happy with, the latter I would have driven him to any location he wanted last season but will be a huge loss for us this season. Brophy is a massive Goodwin misstep, and we will be struggling to get some sort of deal for the lad. The positive is that he did go to County, so at least he knows he needs to move to get regular games and that might be enough to get him off the wage bill (or at least to a limited extent)

Just now, djchapsticks said:

I'll be honest, I'm gutted at not getting Bedeau - I'd have far rather taken him than give Dunne another year but I'm happy enough for Dunne to stay.

Yes but we'd have £6 figures less in our budget and Bedeau might still be a target to replace him next year.

We do have funds but I would like plenty spent on a top budget double figure striker who bangs goals in for us.

Bring on our 3rd signing of the week...

2 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

With the Dunne and Nahmani signings, I’d imagine that, unless anyone leaves. a left wing back is the remaining priority?

It all depends, I suppose, on whether Robinson will keep the 5/3/2 or change it. We know he preferred a 4-3-3 with Motherwell (and I believe Morecambe too, although I'd need to check). We all know why Henderson was farmed out - no position available that he'd be most comfortable. We saw us linked with the Irish lad, can't remember the name of him, who was apparently a left sided winger who can also play up front.

If we stick with 5/3/2, I guess a "figure head" striker being the only position left to fill, with the rest being cover (imo, of course).

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

It all depends, I suppose, on whether Robinson will keep the 5/3/2 or change it. We know he preferred a 4-3-3 with Motherwell (and I believe Morecambe too, although I'd need to check). We all know why Henderson was farmed out - no position available that he'd be most comfortable. We saw us linked with the Irish lad, can't remember the name of him, who was apparently a left sided winger who can also play up front.

If we stick with 5/3/2, I guess a "figure head" striker being the only position left to fill, with the rest being cover (imo, of course).

I can’t see Robinson changing a system that was so successful last season

I’d say the striking positions are filled unless Brophy leaves: Nahmani, Greive, Ayunga, Brophy, Jamieson (and Offord if he isn’t loaned out)

IMO too of course!

I think he’ll want a left wing back. someone as good as Strain down the other side would make a huge difference.

Of course if we sell anyone then we’ll need replacements 

3 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I can’t see Robinson changing a system that was so successful last season

I’d say the striking positions are filled unless Brophy leaves: Nahmani, Greive, Ayunga, Brophy, Jamieson (and Offord if he isn’t loaned out)

Absolute fear looking at that given Ayunga could be out until late 2023