The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

This full on attack on the boy on the day he signs is utterly pathetic. We had the same shite when we signed Carson yet he has been excellent. Hemming was excellent in the Championship and get this, players sometimes lose form ! 

The track record of Langfield when it comes to keepers is second to none. I suspect he knows far more about it than you. Just a wee suggestion but what about giving a guy a chance before slaughtering him ? There again you are probably only weeks away (and itching) for a Robinson out thread so this no doubts suits the agenda. Ironic you post this after a clean sheet on debut too.

You couldn't possibly be more wrong with almost everything you have written there. First time for everything I suppose. I have no agenda, the idea that I am trying to out Robinson is just down right stupid. You ignore the evidence, yet meekly offer up that he must be good because he didn't lose a goal against poorer opposition in a pre-season friendly? That is just down right hypocrisy. You have chosen to ignore all the evidence in front of you, rather deciding to have a go at me because..? Honestly I don't know.

I honestly couldn't give two fucks what people thing my motivations are, Hemming is a dreadful choice and if he is #1 for this season, we will not be top 6. Feel free to bookmark this.

3 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

At least wait and see how the lad does in the meaningful games before writing him off. 

The squad is far from complete so there might well be another keeper coming in if Urminsky is loaned out.

Or Carson may still return. He’s under contract and it will do nobody any good if he’s not training or playing. 

1 hour ago, Ric said:

This is his stats from last season, you can see he was emptied by McInnes fairly early on, and never given another chance other than against Ross County later on and decided to let 3 in on the day. In fact, probably Killie's best run came just before and after the split, a time when McInnes did not play Hemming.

ZVli3lH.png

(click image for full size)

Injured for the first 6 games, then threw in 12 goals over the next 9, and here is a very typical Hemming f**k up...

The goal is about the 1 minute mark. It demonstrates perfectly how poor he is, complete failure to organise his box, follows a defender into the 6 yard box while having no chance what so ever of getting the ball, with a flailing half hearted swipe at a ball that was already going in the goal. Was Hemming to blame for the goal, no Killie's defending was horseshit, but Hemming made a bad situation worse.

These are Kilmarnock’s stats as opposed to specifically Hemming’s stats.

Looking at the stats, Killie won more points per game and conceded fewer goals per game in the 9 games when Hemming was keeper compared to the first 6 games when he was injured.

These stats basically show Killie gradually improving throughout the season, including when Hemming was in goal.

He appears to have been dropped after 3 straight defeats to rivals, culminating in a 4-0 defeat to Dundee Utd.

The goal conceded in the clip looks like a perfect corner kick to me. 

If we were signing David De Gea, would videos of last season’s calamities put you off?

As I said in an earlier post, the mistakes keepers make are magnified and costly and it’s hard to get back on a side once you’re out.

This comes down to whether you trust Robinson, his team and his contacts. I’m sure they’ve done more research than just look at Killie’s results and a random YouTube clip 😜

Edited by Captain_Sensible

The 10 other players on the field in a match day will contribute to us winning or losing games too.

Can think of many times last season (the one we made top 6) where we conceded silly goals from defensive errors, that had nothing to do with Carson one way or another. Can't imagine you could look at Killie, or any other team in the league and not find the same.

Give Hemming, and the coaching team, a chance before resigning yourself to a relegation battle due to one signing.

14 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

These are Kilmarnock’s stats as opposed to specifically Hemming’s stats.

Looking at the stats, Killie won more points per game and conceded fewer goals per game in the 9 games when Hemming was keeper compared to the first 6 games when he was injured.

These stats basically show Killie gradually improving throughout the season, including when Hemming was in goal.

He appears to have been dropped after 3 straight defeats to rivals, culminating in a 4-0 defeat to Dundee Utd.

The goal conceded in the clip looks like a perfect corner kick to me. 

If we were signing David De Gea, would videos of last season’s calamities put you off?

As I said in an earlier post, the mistakes keepers make are magnified and costly and it’s hard to get back on a side once you’re out.

This comes down to whether you trust Robinson, his team and his contacts. I’m sure they’ve done more research than just look at Killie’s results and a random YouTube clip 😜

Best just to leave him to his knickerwetting.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Injured for the first 6 games, then threw in 12 goals over the next 9, and here is a very typical Hemming f**k up...

That's a pretty over the top summation. You're saying that he was at fault for all 12 goals?

2 hours ago, Ric said:

This is his stats from last season, you can see he was emptied by McInnes fairly early on, and never given another chance other than against Ross County later on and decided to let 3 in on the day. In fact, probably Killie's best run came just before and after the split, a time when McInnes did not play Hemming.

ZVli3lH.png

(click image for full size)

The goal is about the 1 minute mark. It demonstrates perfectly how poor he is, complete failure to organise his box, follows a defender into the 6 yard box while having no chance what so ever of getting the ball, with a flailing half hearted swipe at a ball that was already going in the goal. Was Hemming to blame for the goal, no Killie's defending was horseshit, but Hemming made a bad situation worse.

Jesus f**k !!

way to welcome a new player on board 🙄 !

Your selective stats are just ludicrous.   If you like stats how about this one ?

Trevor Carson conceded 16 goals in his last 6 games for saints . Does that make him a bad keeper ?   Would you blame him for us missing out on Europe ?    Of course not !! 😳

Away n have a word wi yersel !! 

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Hemming is a dreadful choice and if he is #1 for this season, we will not be top 6. Feel free to bookmark this.

We scraped into top 6 by a baw hair this year. If we don't make top six this year, I imagine it'll be down to a number of factors not just the goalkeeper.

There were folk questioning Carson last year after a ropey game at Pittodrie. Hemming at least deserves a chance.

I see we have confused Hemming's stats for that of the entire Killie team.

Decent players regularly play in shit, struggling teams.

Facts are the Killie fans seem to rate Hemming.

I don't really hold an opinion on him one way or the other, but it's probably best to wait for the real football to start before we start absilutely shiteing ourselves I would think.

Reading from Kilmarnock fans' feedback, he left his young family south of the border and was possibly struggling mentally at the time his form took a dip. Its hard for a goalkeeper to work his way back in when there is only one position available, its always been the case. Since Langfield took up the coaching role, we have never taken a risk or really had a bad goalkeeper between the sticks as no1. Dean Lynness was probably short of being a no1 pick, though he was okay.

Hemming has just signed a new contract at Middlesborough till 2026 and came highly recommended by former Blackburn Rovers GK Alan Fettis who is head of goalkeeping at Boro. Whatever way you look at it, tying a player down for the next 3 years regardless of the size of the club is surely a signal of intent that they seem something in the lad.

I trust the management on this one and believe he is in as our new no1, as we will not carry 3 keepers.

Criticism of a player when they are consistently making errors and underperforming, or acting poorly is warranted.

Criticism of a new signing who has quite literally done nothing wrong, isn't.

Like many, I'm concerned that there will be a drop off in quality in the GK position and that is solely because Carson set very, very high standards there last season but FFS how is that Zach Hemming's fault? The guy has come in and is going to push harder to improve as a player. He's done absolutely nothing to warrant criticism and there is clearly something there that at 23 years old, a club who is consistently flirting with promotion to the Premier League in Middlesboro have seen fit to offer him another three year contract.

Worth remembering that players and their families read these forums, again, not averse to someone being critiqued online if they are not good enough or have done something out of order but it's hardly an advert for welcoming a new signing that the guy is being obliterated before he's even played a competitive minute.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

To be fair to Ric, whether he turns out competent enough for you or not, Hemming is still a pretty significant downgrade on Carson.

It's unlikely many would have said so last summer, things change very quickly in football.

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

To be fair to Ric, whether he turns out competent enough for you or not, Hemming is still a pretty significant downgrade on Carson.

Based on performances/stats up until now, it would appear so.

8 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Carson was a significant downgrade on Alnwick, who in turn was a significant downgrade on Hladky in the eyes of many of our supporters.

Players have a tendency to prove supporters wrong.

If the lad turns out to not be great, fine, but the situation is this as it stands:

• Carson and Hemming are the two senior keepers at the club (Urminsky will likely go on loan as he desperately needs first team minutes)
  • If Carson leaves, he'll be replaced with a permanent keeper who will fight for the starting place - safe to say we won't be signing Hemming at end of loan given he's on a 3 year deal at Boro
  • If Carson stays, he'll either be number 1 or fighting for it