The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

54 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Totally agree. Just pointing out that he did get game time last season but he was never going to shine in a wingback position. He needs a defender behind him.

Yeah, fair. Thing with Jay is he's the sort of player you'd pick on FIFA - fast, decent shot on him, great crosser. As well as being a youth product, that means a lot of us really wanted it to work out for him. If he'd burst onto the scene under Jack Ross in the Championship, then maybe things would have been different. But we are the wrong club for him at this moment in time. I genuinely hope he does well, though.

Would be nice to see more youngsters getting a chance under Robinson - are any of the ones mentioned, or any others, close enough to being able to make an impact on the first team? Aside from Erhahon and Henderson, both of who were relatively established before he came in, no one has had much of a look in (not that the team suffered for it) until injuries forced him to use Jamieson and Offord a bit more at the end of the season.

Would have liked Henderson to stay but can understand him wanting more first team football. You can't make the argument that he should have been getting that with us last season considering how the team was doing without him.

Edited by Stu

You've made a "final offer" for McMenamin, apparently. Last season doesn't seem to be a one off, in terms of performance, so I don't think you should worry too much about the quality of league hes in, as hes clearly above it.

mcme.thumb.png.8225e326b3231b61d0d92d44a6119914.png

27 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You've made a "final offer" for McMenamin, apparently. Last season doesn't seem to be a one off, in terms of performance, so I don't think you should worry too much about the quality of league hes in, as hes clearly above it.

mcme.thumb.png.8225e326b3231b61d0d92d44a6119914.png

The guy, despite my comments the other day is clearly the top target for Robinson and the club and they will speculate to get him in so any misgivings I have regarding his playing level and age will be fired to one side.

Sometimes, you do just get a player who is playing at far too low a level for their ability (my favourite one of those ever was Lee Trundle at Swansea) and McMenamin sounds like one of those guys.

13 goals and 12 assists last season. Hopefully he can come close to those numbers.

If we have McMenamin, Fletcher, Nahmani and a fit Ayunga, does Jamieson even get a game? Still got Grieve and Olusanya aswell. Might have more on the way out

2 minutes ago, Mac28 said:

13 goals and 12 assists last season. Hopefully he can come close to those numbers.

If we have McMenamin, Fletcher, Nahmani and a fit Ayunga, does Jamieson even get a game? Still got Grieve and Olusanya aswell. Might have more on the way out

Think it's more or less a given Olusanya will go. Offord might go out for game time to championship as well I think. 

44 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We knew this wasnt over.

This is the board backing the management team with this increased offer, which will possibly reach 200k for Glentoran with add ons and a sell on clause. 

There’s no way that we are going any higher with this one. If they KO this offer then we definitely move on.

5 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

If the Brophy/Henderson money lands us this guy and he is a star, I'll finally forgive Ross County for selling us that dud Arquin.

No chance they still owe us for the shambles of that useless cretin Stubbs allowing Ross Stewart to move to Dingwall for about 40 k :shutup

21 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

If the Brophy/Henderson money lands us this guy and he is a star, I'll finally forgive Ross County for selling us that dud Arquin.

Thing is, it looks to all intents like there actually already was a budget in place to buy players this season. We've been actively bidding for players, that much is obviously.

It was just that we seem to have had to be economical with it. Those extra funds could be the difference of getting this one over the line AND buying a left back that we maybe would struggle to afford if we fired all the budget into McMenamin. 

30 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

No chance they still owe us for the shambles of that useless cretin Stubbs allowing Ross Stewart to move to Dingwall for about 40 k :shutup

Was it not the board’s usual price of 50p and a couple of caramel Freddos?

5 hours ago, Mac28 said:

Out of the list of current players I wouldn't be surprised if we still potentially see 4-5 move on.

Baccus has already had interest, I know that O'Hara was being looked at last season and Ryan Strain will no doubt have clubs looking at him. Throw Carson in there who's days look limited.

Add to the above, with more players due to come in, you cant help but think a couple of our forward players will be reduced to further playing time with one striker in and another 2 to follow.

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Thing is, it looks to all intents like there actually already was a budget in place to buy players this season. We've been actively bidding for players, that much is obviously.

It was just that we seem to have had to be economical with it. Those extra funds could be the difference of getting this one over the line AND buying a left back that we maybe would struggle to afford if we fired all the budget into McMenamin. 

If the interest in Carson is true and we are looking for a minimum 6 figures, this one could possibly be close to happening to and we have this money in mind as further income? All speculative of course.

35 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

If the interest in Carson is true and we are looking for a minimum 6 figures, this one could possibly be close to happening to and we have this money in mind as further income? All speculative of course.

I'd imagine any cash for Carson would be set aside for a permanent replacement. Can't see us going with Urminsky and an on loan Hemming as only two senior goalies at the club.