The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is just a woeful mindset, the whole point of the forum is to give your opinion on things.

Managers know more than fans but that doesnt mean theyre always right.

St Mirren seem to have a really weird batch of fans who've seen a manager achieve a 6th placed finish and decided hes a flawless manager who strengthens the squad with every signing and improves every single player, with any doubt directed towards him needing defended as if its a personal slur against them.

Many of us like to support our manager and our team through good times and bad if we can see (even gradual) improvements. And we have had some horrific experiences with exceedingly poor appointments. Craig, Murray, Stubbs, etc. 
Robbo got off to a very shaky start with us and not every signing has worked out. All managers at our level have a shelf life. He is not immune to criticism and I’m sure he’ll be his own worst critic. 

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is just a woeful mindset, the whole point of the forum is to give your opinion on things.

Managers know more than fans but that doesnt mean theyre always right.

St Mirren seem to have a really weird batch of fans who've seen a manager achieve a 6th placed finish and decided hes a flawless manager who strengthens the squad with every signing and improves every single player, with any doubt directed towards him needing defended as if its a personal slur against them.

I agree we have a weird bunch of fans, but no weirder than any others (bar two, obviously as their weirdness extends to what school you went to and so on and soforth). What isn’t weird is us lauding Robinson and O’Carroll for the job they’re doing, and the signings they are making, with the backing of what appears to be a far more professional and switched-on backroom at the SMiSA FeegieField of Dreams.

I could point you in the direction of some previous eras at SMP that look like the Keystone Cops were in charge at times.

Anyway, nice to see you still here in the ‘kwality’ Saints section. It’s Saturday though, there has to be a purvey or two coming your way today from the crematorium that you could debate. Either that or the launch of yet another underwhelming blue jersey that looks like an Ayrshire Juniors catalogue cast off.

Edited by pozbaird

13 minutes ago, GAD said:

This is far more rational than announcing that Robinson has now completely lost the plot and St Mirren are in trouble based on a "scattergun" approach to signing players based on one signing you don't think will be very good, which is what you did. That's proper weird behaviour.

Hes signed 3 strikers (McMenamin, Mandron, Nahmani) to add to the 5 (Greive, Offord, Olusanya, Jamieson, Ayunga) you already have. Hes still being credited as wanting Steven Fletcher too.

38 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

St Mirren seem to have a really weird batch of fans who've seen a manager achieve a 6th placed finish and decided hes a flawless manager who strengthens the squad with every signing and improves every single player

Yeah. That's EXACTLY what has happened here.

We are convinced that the manager is infallible and have been dancing in the streets at the acquisition of Zach Hemming, an unknown Israeli striker and Mikael Mandron. Roll out the bunting!

Or...and hear me out, we're not really big on pilloring the management and will wait to see how the new signings perform before deciding if they are fucking hopeless or not.

You do have very selective reading though, I'll say that. The signings of Hemming and Mandron in particular have been met with a lot of reservations but you still seem intent on framing that as our support loving everything that goes on.

People giving you deserved stick for wrongly describing the approach as 'scattergun' is not blindly believing that the manager is flawless or belief that every signing will be a marked upgrade - it's just folk telling you that on this occasion, you're talking out your arse.

Edited by djchapsticks

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes signed 3 strikers (McMenamin, Mandron, Nahmani) to add to the 5 (Greive, Offord, Olusanya, Jamieson, Ayunga) you already have. Hes still being credited as wanting Steven Fletcher too.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g186565-d11983104-r652132940-McDiarmid_Park-Perth_Perth_and_Kinross_Scotland.html

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

So what? We play 2 up front in a system that absolutely flogs them and usually change both before the end of the game. We need at least 4 in a match day squad. Olusanya hasn't worked out so won't play much, Offord will go on loan as he needs to play more and Ayunga is long term injured. So right now we have McMenamin, Mandron, Nahmani and Grieve, with Jamieson as the back up. I'd have thought a supposed expert would know this tbh.

As for Fletcher, if we sign him we can talk about that, but you've done this before where you assigned players to us we hadn't signed because you were having a bit of a meltdown and you ended up just looking stupid.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We lost Brophy (Watt), Main and Henderson from last seasons squad.

We’ve replaced them with Nehmani, Mandoron and McMenamin.

Olusanya has come back so we are currently one forward over what we carried last term.

No chance all of LJ, Offord and Olusanya will remain in the squad, there will be movement out the way either on loan or or permanent exit.

As for the Robbo love in, it’s probably because we have just come off the back of our highest league finish in 40 years and the fact that his record in the transfer market with us to date has been exceptional.

That tends to be how this game works.

Your manager does good things, he builds up credit.

I don’t think we are alone in that.

If and when we bring in a load of dumplings and our form plummets then, like all supporters, we will be very quick to make our feelings known!

38 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Do you know what we share with Motherwell?

Shite local rivals.

Remember when Morten were relevant to us on a regular basis back in the ‘90s. 😂 

IMG_3051.jpeg.0bc87fb7b54ffb67c62194d47bef08a8.jpeg

How did that make the news? The one Greenock lad took it as the bit of harmless patter it was, but the other pearl clutching fannies being outraged was rather bemusing.

34 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah. That's EXACTLY what has happened here.

We are convinced that the manager is infallible and have been dancing in the streets at the acquisition of Zach Hemming, an unknown Israeli striker and Mikael Mandron. Roll out the bunting!

Or...and hear me out, we're not really big on pilloring the management and will wait to see how the new signings perform before deciding if they are fucking hopeless or not.

You do have very selective reading though, I'll say that. The signings of Hemming and Mandron in particular have been met with a lot of reservations but you still seem intent on framing that as our support loving everything that goes on.

People giving you deserved stick for wrongly describing the approach as 'scattergun' is not blindly believing that the manager is flawless or belief that every signing will be a marked upgrade - it's just folk telling you that on this occasion, you're talking out your arse.

This is what happens when someone downloads an app and now considers themselves an oracle on football ability. They can't handle being called out on it and start thrashing around like a toddler in a tantrum.

25 minutes ago, ford prefect said:

This is what happens when someone downloads an app and now considers themselves an oracle on football ability. 

Yeah, I've been fairly open about how little I know and have said mutiple times over the past day that Stephen Robinson will know far more about football than me.

Thanks, though, for providing yet another example of a St Mirren fan who simply cannot see anyone question Robinson without resorting to throwing abuse about though.

20 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Imagine the majority of fans having the audacity to have faith in a management team who delivered a decent season.

Its more about how vociferous folk are about it.

He has no clue these folk exist but theyre in scrapping his corner and launching abuse about because some random has questioned his signing policy.

I'm not on about all St Mirren fans, before the next wave comes, just the wee odd group who refuse to believe the club can do any wrong.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Fair play to Saints and their 6th place trophy.

7rkj2z.jpg

I didn’t mentioned St Mirren’s league position in the post you are replying to yet you’ve went to all that effort just for me! 😂 :1eye 🤡

Edited by Captain_Sensible

44 minutes ago, Drooper said:

I'm wondering if the Random character is a bit lonely?

You're probably right, it was our thread last Saturday (Ross County). It was absolute carnage, horrific reading.

(Much credit for the carnage needs to go to a somewhat unusual "new" poster going Tonto, who hasn't been seen since, thankfully)

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ayunga is long term injured, I think Offord, Olusanya and Jamieson have started 2 games between them. Offord is likely to be away on loan, Olusanya too, if not out the door. 

We’ve signed 3 forwards to replace the 3 who left. Along with Greive (who wasn’t a regular either), that gives us 4 senior strikers, much the same as most clubs.

Edited by Captain_Sensible

5 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Much credit for the carnage needs to go to a somewhat unusual "new" poster going Tonto, who hasn't been seen since, thankfully

Your welcome.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its more about how vociferous folk are about it.

The most vociferous person on this thread is you!

The fact that a St Johnstone fan is the most vociferous person on a St Mirren thread is what is truly weird!

I know virtually nothing about what’s happening at your club!