The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

On a side note, and because I rarely read the Record out of choice, I missed this piece on Tait..

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/renfrewshire/richard-tait-opens-up-retirement-30407313

All positive, although interestingly he mentions Goodwin, but not Robinson. Not trying to make anything out of that, and perhaps he did mention Robinson in part of the interview that was cut. Just r/mildlyinteresting, nothing more.

Reading that, the door remains very much open to Trevor. Let's hope that he has a change of heart if a move doesn't materialise. He's well into the twilight of his career now and will surely want to play football.

Still picking up a wage yes. However, mentally, just going through the motions at training with no game to aim for and separating yourself from the rest of the guys who do want to play for the club, that will be a pretty shite working life.

Can’t see why the board would play hardball over a player at that age that wants to leave.

Assume we maybe want to recoup the money we paid Dundee Utd for him but over and above that I can’t see why we would be holding out or expecting a six figure fee for him.

8 minutes ago, Div said:

Can’t see why the board would play hardball over a player at that age that wants to leave.

Assume we maybe want to recoup the money we paid Dundee Utd for him but over and above that I can’t see why we would be holding out or expecting a six figure fee for him.

Maybe they have an inkling / are hoping that he will change his mind.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

3 minutes ago, Div said:

Surely at this point the thing is to get him out the door, because if he's not going to play there's no point in having him around - not that I think he'd be a negative influence, but if we start badly you can see the situation snowball.

I'm not Robinson, or the club bean counters, but if there was a choice between decent ish money and he goes to a rival, or a small fee and he's out to a different league, you know my preference would be the 2nd option. The problem is if this keeps rumbling through to the end of the window when we really need to make a decision.

That said, I think when it comes to the window, clubs will be scrambling for this exact sort of player, someone with loads of experience, a season of really good performances, and the reason for him leaving is personal and not some injury. I think he'll become a bit of an asset nearer the close of the window, just depends on whether we want to have this situation hanging over the club until then.

Keep seeing you mentioning him going to a rival Ric. There are no Premiership teams currently in the market for a keeper like Trevor Carson.

Kilnarnock, St.Johnstone, Dundee and Hearts (as no 2) we’re really his only options and all have filled that position.

if he’s going then he’ll need to find a club down South now IMO.

7 minutes ago, Div said:

Keep seeing you mentioning him going to a rival Ric. There are no Premiership teams currently in the market for a keeper like Trevor Carson.

Kilnarnock, St.Johnstone, Dundee and Hearts (as no 2) we’re really his only options and all have filled that position.

if he’s going then he’ll need to find a club down South now IMO.

Yeah, that fear is definitely lessening to the point of it not being relevant. It's only recently though that others have picked up keepers.

Interestingly if we count anyone in this league our rival, I'd be less bothered by him going to, say, the OF as one of their backup keepers.

Edit: I'm also being a bit of a hypocrite too.. (😲 ..no, really?) ..where I am happy for Shaughnessy to get a gig at Dundee, who could just as easily come back to bite us as a move for Carson could.

Edited by Ric

1 hour ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I noticed Robinson mentioned in his pre match interview that “we’ll tweak it slightly” just after the mention of formations.

He then goes on to talk about more forward options now that we didn’t have last season

I wouldn’t be surprised if we switch to 3-4-3 this season (which can be 5-4-1 when defending) while reverting to 3-5-2 in certain games.

I can’t see us signing McMenamin and then not playing him in the position he’s used to, on the wing. 

I wonder if we’ll see that sort of line up today, with maybe Kiltie playing wide on the other side and Mandron through the middle? 

This. Also, Ayunga can play the wide role (mind we all thought he was a winger when he signed) and Nahmani looks like more of a unit than I was expecting: might potentially be first choice through the middle as and when he's in the squad and up to speed.

Main thing is it's nice to have some options, but all this has to be bad news for Jamieson, Offord and Olusanya.

All the chat of Robinson changing formation, he said this either at the end of the 21/22 season or at the start of the 22/23 didn't he? Something along the lines of "I wanted to play <xxxxx> but we didn't have the players to suit it, so stuck with what we could do best".

19 minutes ago, Ric said:

Edit: I'm also being a bit of a hypocrite too.. (😲 ..no, really?) ..where I am happy for Shaughnessy to get a gig at Dundee, who could just as easily come back to bite us as a move for Carson could.

Not to the same extent. A great goalkeeper would strengthen a relegation candidate team more than a decent centre half would. But it has to be moot because I can't see Carson staying in Scotland.

Carson will leave and it wouldn’t surprise me if we let him go for free just to free up his wage, he will be on at least 2k a week, no point having a player sitting there picking up that kind of money for nothing.

Sounds like Robinson fancies McMenamin in the wing back role going by his comments.

41 minutes ago, Div said:

It's time we start playing hardball as teams do it to us as Glentoran proved. Not our problem that a Manchild had a hisssy fit

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Not to the same extent. A great goalkeeper would strengthen a relegation candidate team more than a decent centre half would.

You are right, a good keeper is a huge boost just like a bad keeper is a death knell. It's somewhat hilarious that United got relegated because both their defence and their keeper were dreadful, despite them originally having Carson on the books at one point.

This is also why I have the fear with Hemming. I would dearly love to be proven wrong. Carson was so good at covering up for mistakes by our defence.

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

You are right, a good keeper is a huge boost just like a bad keeper is a death knell. It's somewhat hilarious that United got relegated because both their defence and their keeper were dreadful, despite them originally having Carson on the books at one point.

This is also why I have the fear with Hemming. I would dearly love to be proven wrong. Carson was so good at covering up for mistakes by our defence.

Of which there were plenty.

16 minutes ago, McG said:

Carson will leave and it wouldn’t surprise me if we let him go for free just to free up his wage, he will be on at least 2k a week, no point having a player sitting there picking up that kind of money for nothing.

Sounds like Robinson fancies McMenamin in the wing back role going by his comments.

Don't you think that will stiffle his goal threat.

Talk of Carson possibly joining a Scottish rival, and Div pointing out the clubs who just fixed up other keepers, got me thinking. I wonder if any of those BoDs and managers had a discussion, and the discussion went ‘Carson at St Mirren could be available, but he’s available because he chucked the toys out the pram over an end of season Sevco game, let’s forget about him’.

12 minutes ago, elvis said:

Of which there were plenty.

It's the old adage, if they were that good they wouldn't be playing for us. I don't think we do too badly. I remember when Thistle in the top division, quite some time back, and I forget the name (Walker?) but he had a season of incredible shot stopping.

Edit: Yes, Nicky Walker. Maybe my mind is playing tricks, but I'm sure he had such a stellar season just off his incredible stops that it propelled him back into the Scotland squad.

7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Talk of Carson possibly joining a Scottish rival, and Div pointing out the clubs who just fixed up other keepers, got me thinking. I wonder if any of those BoDs and managers had a discussion, and the discussion went ‘Carson at St Mirren could be available, but he’s available because he chucked the toys out the pram over an end of season Sevco game, let’s forget about him’.

Wouldn't the flip side of that being he wants to leave us not because of injury or poor form? As @Div rightly points out, the domestic options for Carson are now very limited, but in the round, and I mentioned this in one of my previous posts, I think his stock will increase as we get closer to the window closing as teams get desperate to fill positions. A good keeper, even if he had a bust up with his last club, must look a better option that a very pleasant but worse keeper? I mean that's how I'd see it, but as it's obvious to everyone, I'd make a dreadful manager! :P 

Edited by Ric

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Would Joe Lewis be a realistic option now he’s left Aberdeen? Or have they binned him because his fork has gone?

At the moment I’m more concerned about where Robinson is planning to use McMenamin.

He’s definitely moving/moved back down to England. Whether he gets a new club or retires remains to be seen.

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

It's the old adage, if they were that good they wouldn't be playing for us. I don't think we do too badly. I remember when Thistle in the top division, quite some time back, and I forget the name (Walker?) but he had a season of incredible shot stopping.

Edit: Yes, Nicky Walker. Maybe my mind is playing tricks, but I'm sure he had such a stellar season just off his incredible stops that it propelled him back into the Scotland squad.

Wouldn't the flip side of that being he wants to leave us not because of injury or poor form? As @Div rightly points out, the domestic options for Carson are now very limited, but in the round, and I mentioned this in one of my previous posts, I think his stock will increase as we get closer to the window closing as teams get desperate to fill positions. A good keeper, even if he had a bust up with his last club, must look a better option that a very pleasant but worse keeper? I mean that's how I'd see it, but as it's obvious to everyone, I'd make a dreadful manager! :P 

The Scottish clubs who have filled their goalkeeping vacancies with other keepers surely cannot rate Carson any higher than the guys they chose to sign, otherwise they’d have signed Carson. I fully understand clubs will sign guys who have off-field issues way more serious than a Sevco / family hissy fit situation, it’s a business etc - but while I rate Carson, I don’t think he’s a top bracket guy who other clubs are gagging to snap up because of his falling out at St Mirren. He’d have been snapped up by now if he was. Just wondered if clubs plumped for another keeper (who they deemed to be of equal standard) over Carson, because of the reason he became available.

Maybe he will be snapped up later in the window, maybe he’ll stay and everyone moves on. Either way, just get it feckin’ sorted. It’s a distraction now. A very boring, who gives a fcuk if you missed a Sevco game distraction. My attitude is moving from ‘hope he stays’ to ‘just fcuk off and we can move on’.