The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Sign a 2 year deal in March to then spit the dummy, surely he won't be expecting a pay off?

There's always 2 sides to a story, which we don't know, so I won't totally throw him under the bus but we have to back the manager on this one.

If there was a fallout after the Rangers game, my worry is he has had enough time to identify a new number 1 and has went for Hemmings. 

I'd rather have used Urminsky for the pre season & league cup and taken the time to find a genuine number 1, than been 'rushed' into signing Hemmings.

Can look at it both ways.

I'm hoping it's just the case of we can't do anything until Carson is away. Not panicking, plenty of time until the transfer window shuts.

Definitely not an ideal summer for us though. Hopefully a professional performance today with a good result and we can start talking about football than off the pitch stuff. 

3 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

What would be the point in holding out for a transfer fee that wouldn’t cover the wages we’d need to pay him if he stays?

Its all one to Carson - he still gets paid

Mwanwhile we’re lumbered with a wave that could be freed up to sign someone else! 

He was one of our best players last season, has over 400 career appearances, and is an international keeper. 

Just because he's supposedly spat the dummy doesn't mean he should dictate what happens next. 

Either we get an appropriate fee for him or he does the job he's contracted to do.

10 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Either we get an appropriate fee for him or he does the job he's contracted to do.

Or he sits around, takes the wages and watches his career go into a cul de sac.

His desire will be to get away.

Our desire is soon and with a fee.

4 hours ago, McG said:

Sounds like Robinson fancies McMenamin in the wing back role going by his comments.

3 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Sounds like he fancies McMenamin in a front 3 IMO 

Going by today’s line up, looks like @McG is spot on and I was wrong

Surprised at that 

14 minutes ago, elvis said:

Sign a winger who scores goals and has plenty of assists surely if we play him as a wing back we are almost taking his threat away .

Are we? Have we taken Strains goals/ assists away? Could be a good move but imagine McMenamin will be played in a lot of different positions.

Just now, McG said:

Are we? Have we taken Strains goals/ assists away? Could be a good move but imagine McMenamin will be played in a lot of different positions.

Yes. I see us scoring more often this season - the fun starts today. I think we'll score 4 or more and at least one of our new lads getting that 1st goal which strikers love to get going with sooner rather than later.

C O Y S

16 minutes ago, medals said:

Yes. I see us scoring more often this season - the fun starts today. I think we'll score 4 or more and at least one of our new lads getting that 1st goal which strikers love to get going with sooner rather than later.

C O Y S

Hope you are right

52 minutes ago, medals said:

Or he sits around, takes the wages and watches his career go into a cul de sac.

His desire will be to get away.

Our desire is soon and with a fee.

The financial reality for Carson is that no-one else is going to give him as good a wage as he's getting from us now which will take him beyond his 37th birthday.

You make your bed you lie in it though. Hopefully, to get out of the club he'll have the integrity to be prepared to take a 1 year deal elsewhere on lower wages.

3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Got the MOTV stream. Unfortunately it looks like one of those automated jobbies which tries to follow the ball.

Still, should be 10 times better than Morton's. 

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

I've been really surprised by Taylor. He's looked decent every time he's played and will continue to improve. Signing a guy from the Irish second tier I was convinced he was going to be utter shite. Shows what I know.

As for Olusanya, there's still time for him to come good. If he doesn't, then fine, we're going to make bad signings at times. So far Robinson has a pretty good hit rate.

He is 25. you would have thought he would have come good by now.