The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

6 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

clear to me some of the players aren’t good enough. Big Joe was a strange one for me - possibly our best defender but allowed to go. Not seeing much from others either and up front it looks absolutely brutal. Toysi at least looked like giving it a go for the shot time he was on 

Robinson’s blind spot with Big Joe remains one of my few criticisms of him. Inexplicable in my opinion. 

I liked big Joe and wouldn’t have minded keeping him but if we struggle in the league, he will become Maldini instead of the decent but relatively slow centre half he actually is.

We were gash today, no question but releasing him is not even in the top 10 reasons why we lost today.

We lacked any sort of creativity and Grieve for all his efforts is not going to score enough at this level, Madron probably won’t either but at least he has the excuse of being new.
As a team we are not set up to have a lot of possession so I’m expecting to see a different shape and performance at ER next month.

Bad day at the office but we didn’t become a bad team over the summer, onwards and upwards.

54 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Very similar to this time last year. Do the management and or players just want to treat this like preseason, while other teams are right up for it?

Last season I had us as favourites to go down after our league cup campaign, yet we had a very good season, so I won't be panicking yet. It does piss me off a bit though as we should be looking for a good cup run and it appears that we've decided not to put much importance on this tournament. 

Looking at our track record that would seem to be the case - regardless of the manager.

I think we've only made it out of the group twice - once under Stubbs and the other under Goodwin. And the latter was 2020/21 when the cup didn't start until we'd already played some league games due to the covid chaos.

The League Cup games aren't a great marker of how our season will end up, and the nature of the format means I'm not overly worked up about results like today, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't be worried. No doubt Robinson will try and claim there's nothing to worry about because we've even more strikers coming. At least the chat has moved on from the goalkeeper situation!

What's the deal with Tanser? I assume he's injured - how long until he's back? Must be a better option than a right winger.

5 minutes ago, Torfason said:

I liked big Joe and wouldn’t have minded keeping him but if we struggle in the league, he will become Maldini instead of the decent but relatively slow centre half he actually is.

We were gash today, no question but releasing him is not even in the top 10 reasons why we lost today.

We lacked any sort of creativity and Grieve for all his efforts is not going to score enough at this level, Madron probably won’t either but at least he has the excuse of being new.
As a team we are not set up to have a lot of possession so I’m expecting to see a different shape and performance at ER next month.

Bad day at the office but we didn’t become a bad team over the summer, onwards and upwards.

All set for a repeat of 10 years ago when The Herbal Life Bros were calling for Lee Mair to come back in from the cold and solve all our woes.

Edited by Stu

2 hours ago, meadowroadsaint said:

Aside from the poor fare on view, this is another advert for getting plastic pitches so far to f**k .

Abysmal surface, ball making weird spins ,bounces etc.

A " top 6 side " should be able to cope with this.

24 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Slower than Gallagher? Joe wasn’t perfect but he’s a threat in the opposition half as well as a decent defender. We’re weaker without him 

Just now, Norrie82 said:

Slower than Gallagher? Joe wasn’t perfect but he’s a threat in the opposition half as well as a decent defender. We’re weaker without him 

Shaughnessy is not slower than Gallagher. 

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

The League Cup games aren't a great marker of how our season will end up, and the nature of the format means I'm not overly worked up about results like today

I’m not having a go at you Stu, but why aren’t you bothered by it? You were there in 2013 right? Have we forgotten how great that was? The scenes in County Square? The celebrations, the DVD, ‘St Mirren’s Day’…..

I’m worked up about it. If I’m alone in that, as Div said about wearing a replica strip to games - I’ll die on this hill.

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

Looking at our track record that would seem to be the case - regardless of the manager.

I think we've only made it out of the group twice - once under Stubbs and the other under Goodwin. And the latter was 2020/21 when the cup didn't start until we'd already played some league games due to the covid chaos.

The League Cup games aren't a great marker of how our season will end up, and the nature of the format means I'm not overly worked up about results like today, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't be worried. No doubt Robinson will try and claim there's nothing to worry about because we've even more strikers coming. At least the chat has moved on from the goalkeeper situation!

What's the deal with Tanser? I assume he's injured - how long until he's back? Must be a better option than a right winger.

All set for a repeat of 10 years ago when The Herbal Life Bros were calling for Lee Mair to come back in from the cold and solve all our woes.

No mate I’m just amazed that he wasn’t valued . He’s been a good player for us scoring some goals as well. Mental that he was allowed to walk 

25 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Not convinced anyone was saying big Joe being missing was the reason we lost today. For my part anyway, I was merely saying I couldn’t understand Robinson’s blind spot with him. Nothing to do with today’s game really. 

1 hour ago, Torfason said:

Deas and Findlay are decent signings but who else would you have taken from their signings?

You could pick any number, Sure your signing stategy is to pick up the players that Killie and Motherwell release.

Just now, Norrie82 said:

Joe was a favourite of mine, he was good at the back and provided a threat up top, he could even swing a decent cross into the box. I wouldn’t mind if he left and we replaced him with better but we haven’t replaced him with better.

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I’m not having a go at you Stu, but why aren’t you bothered by it? You were there in 2013 right? Have we forgotten how great that was? The scenes in County Square? The celebrations, the DVD, ‘St Mirren’s Day’…..

I’m worked up about it. If I’m alone in that, as Div said about wearing a replica strip to games - I’ll die on this hill.

I don't like the group stage format, probably because we're always shite at it. It's clear, regardless of what our various managers say, we treat it as an extension of pre-season,  and while I obviously want us to go through, I've given up getting too angry if we manage to make it through.

If today had been a one-off cup game and we were out in the first round I'd have been giving a different view - but we'd probably have taken a different approach to the game too (and probably still fucked up against lower league opponents as we're good at that).

5 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Agreed.  As per last season totally pish performances in the LC don’t necessarily mean we’ll be crap in the league.  

But with this group we should have been looking at 4 wins and seeded in the round of 16, so a very good shot at the quarter finals.   

It was awful last season watching the LC draw happen and not being in it.  

Really did not expect that to happen again this season.