The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

17 minutes ago, medals said:

It's the managers job to build a good squad and perform well - so it's his jigsaw.

Indeed, and to me, it looks like one where the pieces do not fit. Do I have any special insight? None other than watching the team for decades, so that places me along with 1000s of others. I am not being explicit here by saying "this definitely won't work" this is me going "I'm not sure how that combination does work", and again the caveat for which formation we play is always present.

The Hemming issue is another of the crazy things a manager has to deal with. So far he's been fine other than a penalty, but our defense did not help that situation. The lad deserves his chance but when Carson goes we will add another Gk

Hemming was guff last season, that is not in debate, but equally he was decent in a lower league. Hemming is Robinson's choice, he was not forced to bring him in. We may add another keeper in if/when Carson goes, but there are no certainties it'll be a #1, in fact more it will be cover.

You've judged that we haven't improved the squad so far then? Time to judge is once its Co.plete and over the season with the usual January tweaks. 

No we are not finished in the market yet - 5 weeks to go and there are spaces to fill.

Are you sure? We need a LB/LWB and ideally one that can cover on the right side too, unless we are relying on Flynn for that role. Other than that, it's reliant on other players going out; Carson, Baccus, Strain, O'Hara, etc..

There is a sidenote here, while we were well aware of our security from relegation early on we don't seem to have hit the ground running in terms of signings. All too often we've been given the "but we didn't know if we'd be playing in this league" reason, and while I fully appreciate how difficult it must be to bring players in, if there was any benefit from securing our safety early it doesn't seem to have been reflected here.

Edited by Ric

10 minutes ago, callum-g said:

Main was absolutely fucking gash for the massive part of his first season with us , most people would have driven him to whichever club would take him off our hands …… then along came Stephen Robinson who managed to get massively improved performances from him.    
  How do we know he won’t get the best out of Maldron  ?

You are spot on about Main's first season, and I was one of his biggest critics, and I was 100% spot on. However, if you read back, you'll see that I was critical of Goodwin bringing the player to the club in the first place, and that's because we knew how Goodwin would play him, and true to form that's what he did and Main suffered, along with an injury and seemingly a "less than ideal" personal relationship.

However Robinson did an amazing job to turn it around. The player that left us was not the player that joined us.

Could Mandron do the same? Perhaps, although it's quite a gamble to keep on hoping lightning strikes twice.

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

Indeed, and to me, it looks like one where the pieces do not fit. I've been watching the team for decades...

Hemming was guff last season... Hemming is Robinson's choice.

Are you sure? We need a LB/LWB...

Players coming in are not fully fit yet - physically, match and still to gel with teammates and the stresses of relocation. It's not fair to judge yet.

Hemming and his girl publically said he was not "in a good place" then. So you'd expect its our job to look after him and help him to be at his best.

Am I sure of what? We will soon sign a LWB,(irons in the fire right now) another midfielder, a GK and likely 1 or 2 others.

I think Baccus will go too. He'll only stay if he's not up to full fitness during this window.

On the subject of Hemming being guff last season, I think that’s a bit misleading 

Killie had a terrible start to the season, they had a couple of heavy defeats, they made some changes, including the keeper and Hemming never got back in.

Hemming hardly played last season.   He’s being judged on a couple of games where a bad Killie side got thumped. 

Just now, Captain_Sensible said:

On the subject of Hemming being guff last season, I think that’s a bit misleading 

Killie had a terrible start to the season, they had a couple of heavy defeats, they made some changes, including the keeper and Hemming never got back in.

Hemming hardly played last season.   He’s being judged on a couple of games where a bad Killie side got thumped. 

He’s being judged on mistakes that he made in those games - he was at fault for most of the goals he conceded.

28 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

It’s sounding like the mystery new striker is going to be left field…..

Are you suggesting we buy a striker and play him at left back?

ARE YOU MAD BRO? WHO WOULD DO SUCH A THING!?

2 minutes ago, SS77 said:

He’s being judged on mistakes that he made in those games - he was at fault for most of the goals he conceded.

Yes, he’s being judged on a couple of games - not an entire season, that’s my point 

he was at fault “for most of the goals he conceded” is a bit harsh. Their team was poor at the start of last season, leaving the keeper exposed 

The battering of Hemming is sad to see. The lad clearly had some issues. All keepers make mistakes. He needs support and confidence. Lets see how he does. We have been spoilt by recent keepers. If Robbo likes him then he deserves his chance.

10 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Yes, he’s being judged on a couple of games - not an entire season, that’s my point 

he was at fault “for most of the goals he conceded” is a bit harsh. Their team was poor at the start of last season, leaving the keeper exposed 

Watch the goals he conceded last year, he just isn’t good enough sadly.

Given Robbo has mentioned in the press this morning that the incoming striker is recovering from injury, and given there have been some rumours about Rotherham could the new boy be Josh Kayode?

Republic of Ireland youth, 22 year old, was on loan at MK Dons last season so obviously one they are trying to develop.

Got injured there in Feb and didn't feature again last season.

Ticks the boxes as per the description Robbo has given.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/joshua-kayode/profil/spieler/532195

And this would suggest they might well be up for loaning him out again;

https://www.rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk/rotherham-united/view,what-next-for-josh-kayode-and-rotherham-united_45773.htm

4 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Watch the goals he conceded last year, he just isn’t good enough sadly.

If we were to rewind 12 months, I wonder who we'd have been happier at signing. A younger keeper who just won player of the year in the Championship winning side, or an older keeper who couldn't get a game at Dundee Utd, had some injury issues, and played half a season at Morecambe.

Hemming might have had some poor performances at Kilmarnock but I think he deserves a chance.

9 minutes ago, Div said:

Given Robbo has mentioned in the press this morning that the incoming striker is recovering from injury, and given there have been some rumours about Rotherham could the new boy be Josh Kayode?

Republic of Ireland youth, 22 year old, was on loan at MK Dons last season so obviously one they are trying to develop.

https://www.rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk/rotherham-united/view,what-next-for-josh-kayode-and-rotherham-united_45773.htm

Some laugh if a transfer window that has included rumours of Fletcher, Main and Pressley as potential permanent signings ends up with us having Mandron and an injured lad from Rotherham on loan to get him back up to fitness and form before buggering off south again.

Edited by djchapsticks

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Some laugh if a transfer window that has included rumours of Fletcher, Main and Pressley as potential permanent signings ends up with us having Mandron and an injured lad from Rotherham on loan to get him back up to fitness and form before buggering off south again.

The only way I would be happy with Kayode is if it was a permanent deal

29 minutes ago, Div said:

Was he not referring to Ayunga to come back in from Injury?  That was the way I read it.

3 hours ago, GAD said:

I'm pretty sure the whole of Scottish football was on a mental spending spree at the time. The only reason we were trying to live within our means was a huge debt from the overspending in the early 90s and building two new stands. The only other team not massively overspending at the time were St Johnstone I think, who were relegated with I think at the time a record low points total the next season.

FWIW we were the only team to break even that season (00/1) and the Fakes were the only other team to make significant cuts hence their subsequent relegation, Dundee, Dunfermline (eventually) & Motherwell all went into administration from debts accrued  during that period.

13 minutes ago, truesaint said:

Was he not referring to Ayunga to come back in from Injury?  That was the way I read it.

No mate, he said "the two coming in are going to be quite a way off fitness-wise. One hasn't trained for eight weeks and one has been out injured and is coming back"

So I assume that refers to Nahmani, and perhaps Kayode.

1 hour ago, callum-g said:

Main was absolutely fucking gash for the massive part of his first season with us , most people would have driven him to whichever club would take him off our hands …… then along came Stephen Robinson who managed to get massively improved performances from him.    
  How do we know he won’t get the best out of Maldron  ?

He'd have to spend most of the season teaching him how to kick a ball. The guy looks like he's never had one near his feet.

Im normally a positive poster , but after watching us against Montrose I am now a bit concerned.  

Our defence doesn't look solid and still needs sorted . Our midfield didn't move the ball well , and our forwards looked powderpuff . 

As for recruitment to date , it seems a tad scattergun . 

We need to beat Arbroath on Saturday  and should do so ,but if we don't,  we,re going to struggle big time this season . 

Edited by MenstrieSaint