The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

And yet, if you went on to the thread on our forum about him (where the personal reasons that he was a bit unsettled last season are clearly explained), most of the people on there would have been happy to have him back - maybe not as first choice, but definitely as an option.

He’s absolutely fine as 2nd or 3rd choice but shouldn’t be a starting keeper in the Premiership.

5 hours ago, houston_bud said:

If we were to rewind 12 months, I wonder who we'd have been happier at signing. A younger keeper who just won player of the year in the Championship winning side, or an older keeper who couldn't get a game at Dundee Utd, had some injury issues, and played half a season at Morecambe.

Hemming might have had some poor performances at Kilmarnock but I think he deserves a chance.

Carson was just off the back of a tremendous spell at Morecambe and behind Siegrist at Utd, I don’t think anyone would’ve wanted Hemming ahead of him.

It looks like he’ll get his chance until Carson goes and we sign a number 1 so hopefully he picks up.

is it significant that Curtis Main has managed to find a gig as far away from Div as possible ? Nobody likes having a stalker.

Good luck to Curtis. I agree that playing in India is far preferable to him signing for a rival club.

15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

is it significant that Curtis Main has managed to find a gig as far away from Div as possible ? Nobody likes having a stalker.

Good luck to Curtis. I agree that playing in India is far preferable to him signing for a rival club.

Aye it’s some move for him money wise. He deserves it, especially after last season.

Pleasing to see Curtis get a move that will earn him a decent wedge. As others are also saying, glad he’s not signed for a rival club.

But we all know he’s only got a one year deal with an option for a second year. The big question is will he return for a further shot at big money with Johnstone Burgh.:P

3 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Aye it’s some move for him money wise. He deserves it, especially after last season.

It’s certainly gonna be a massive cultural change from the village of Elderslie. 

“Bangalore's 2023 population is now estimated at 13,607,800. In 1950, the population of Bangalore was 745,999. Bangalore has grown by 414,765 in the last year, which represents a 3.14% annual change.” 

Elderslie has a population of around 6,000 (- Curtis). 

Wonder whether his family will move out there if he’s only contracted for a year. 

My wife worked out there for a few years. We had an opportunity to move there for a few years but chose to stay put.
We would have lived a completely different lifestyle with private schools, butlers, maids and chauffeurs and great food!

Good luck to the big man. He’s gonna have to work hard to keep in shape. 

51 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Wonder if he will be their penalty Tikka ?

There’s so many of our fans totally unconvinced about Hemmings. 
My feeling is to give the boy a chance when the league campaign gets underway.

Those games will test him and we’ll find out if he’s up to the job of holding down the number 1 jersey.

Edited by glenburn bud

The problem Hemming has is that he's taking over from (until recently) a hugely popular goalkeeper.

Carson himself had the same problem after taking over from Alnwick. This time last season very few were convinced he was going to be as good.

Alnwick had the same problem after taking over from Vaclav.

We've been absolutely spoiled with very good goalkeepers over the last few years.

I think we're all still scarred by the David Cornell signing though 🙂

Anyway, the one constant in all the good signings we've made is Jamie Langfield.

So if Langfield thinks Hemming is good enough then that's really all that matters right now.

Until Hemming gives good reason to doubt his ability then he deserves 100% backing from all St.Mirren supporters. And the loss of a pretty poor goal in a pre-season friendly does not constitute good reason IMO!

I would personally feel better with a more experienced No 1 but we won't be moving for another goalkeeper until Carson is 100% off the wage bill so we need to suck it up and back the current incumbant. (Spoiler: I'm not even that convinced we will bring in a third tbh!)

15 minutes ago, Div said:

Anyway, the one constant in all the good signings we've made is Jamie Langfield.

Hladky, Alnwick & Carson were already very good goalkeepers. Not sure how much a part Langfield played in them remaining very good during their time with us.

He’s also coached some really poor goalies who never improved at all. Urminsky hasn’t looked to have improved any from his first appearance to his last against Rangers.

Langfield being great with Goalkeepers is a myth. He was a shite one himself.