The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Whenever I've seen Strapp play he looked decent. Always got stuck in against us, played like he genuinely hates us (no bad thing). 

Really handy long throws too.

Looks like he has served his time in the championship and has earned a step up, if I'm not mistaken. 

Wouldn't mind signing him as long as he didn't turn out to be another Dougie Imrie.

I’ve often thought Strapp was Morton’s best player when I have watched them on tv. I thought he had an option to move abroad, so was surprised to see that we seem to have him in training with our squad. Just read Imrie’s comments when he decided to let him move on. He thinks the lad is capable of playing at a higher level and should be earning more from the game. Maybe if things work out for Strapp at the SMISA, Dougie will become less of a villain to the Saints fans, maybe not though.

10 minutes ago, Kempes said:

Dougie will become less of a villain to the Saints fans, maybe not though.

I felt Imrie was never given the type of playing role he had at other clubs (by Lennon and/or Craig??) and as a result we never saw the same impact as a player. 

Dougie was good for Clyde. He was picked up from Forth juniors after a tipoff from Tommy Coyne. I saw him a lot back then and he was very good at that level. Always likes to be involved though, so some of his pitch side antics have been a bit OTT, certainly at the SMISA.

19 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I felt Imrie was never given the type of playing role he had at other clubs (by Lennon and/or Craig??) and as a result we never saw the same impact as a player. 

He was signed when Kenny McLean was injured and just as John McGinn was emerging when everyone was fit he wasn't a first pick.

2 minutes ago, btb said:

He was signed when Kenny McLean was injured and just as John McGinn was emerging when everyone was fit he wasn't a first pick.

The point I was making was that the manager/coach at the time tried to fit him into a system that he was not suited or comfortable with. Some players can adapt but he didn’t. We shelled out £35K for Imrie and then terminated his contract a year early. I put that down to a mistake by the management rather than the player if that makes sense. 
Imrie could have been used far better in my opinion. 

33 minutes ago, Molotov said:

The point I was making was that the manager/coach at the time tried to fit him into a system that he was not suited or comfortable with. Some players can adapt but he didn’t. We shelled out £35K for Imrie and then terminated his contract a year early. I put that down to a mistake by the management rather than the player if that makes sense. 
Imrie could have been used far better in my opinion. 

Don't really want to fight 2012/13s battles again but we already had Thommo, Goodwin, Teale &  McGowan as well as the two I mentioned earlier and despite being versatile he was never first choice when everyone was fit and unable to establish himself ahead of the better players we already had.

Looking back at the players we had those two seasons it's incredible how mediocre our results were outside of the spell around the LC win.

Edited by btb

Maybe I'm getting Imrie and Harkins mixed up a bit.

Imrie just didn't seem to fit us (always looked a world beater against us), Harkins (again looked like Zidane against us) seemed like he was waiting for his pay off from day one and his heart was never in it. 

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Serious question and I'm all for promotion of the women's team and the women's game in general, but why does this have to be SMISA funded? 

I guess the club have a budget for the women's team, and SMISA board want to top that up - if SMISA members don't want to fund it, it won't be.

A dinosaur's opinion...

I'm not really a fan of the women's game but it's only gonna become important as thyme passes - we've got to spend as much thyme and money as we can supporting women's football especially U-18 ages and below so that we can dip their purses 20 years from now, it makes sense and it's the right thing to do.

Spoiler

If purses still exist 20 years from now! 

Edited by btb

25 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Serious question and I'm all for promotion of the women's team and the women's game in general, but why does this have to be SMISA funded? 

Perhaps there is some pressure on the club and SMISA board to promote the women’s game. 
SMISA funds is seen as a good solution to fix that budgetary problem? 
Perhaps both the men’s and women’s squad members should sign up as SMISA members as part of the deal. That would increase the membership and help fund both squads. 

42 minutes ago, Molotov said:

IMG_3179.thumb.jpeg.9e77d06eb46888ba285c41f6509eb80f.jpeg

I don't mind helping out the Women's team, it is part of the club after all, but 3.5% of annual subs seems a bit much IMO, especially since that's then coming off the discretionary spend pot which is the one bit I really like about the monthly membership.

I'd rather just help the women's team out on a case by case basis, same as the rest of the club, rather than just blindly signing off £6K pa.

Think for that reason I'll vote against on this one.

Some laugh with the 1877 supporters bar.

So as members we pay every single month, for all 12 months of the year, whether it's open or not. We also paid our monthly fees (£10 p/m) for the entire duration of the pandemic, even though we couldn't set foot in the place.

They gave us one free drink as a thanks for the pandemic subscription fees. Equated to about £180 for that pint, and it was fucking Fosters 🤣

Fair enough, all fans donated in some wau to the club during the pandemic, so we took that one on the chin.

So this Summer we've paid our £10 a month for both June and July as usual even though it's been closed.

I asked if it was going to be open on Saturday for a pint before the Arbroath game and the answer back was that it wouldn't be open for either of the home matches because they wouldn't make enough money.

Every member will have paid £20 for the last 2 months, circa £3K into the club, and they can't even be arsed opening for the first game of the season.

Absolutely piss poor IMO.

4 minutes ago, Div said:

I don't mind helping out the Women's team, it is part of the club after all, but 3.5% of annual subs seems a bit much IMO, especially since that's then coming off the discretionary spend pot which is the one bit I really like about the monthly membership.

I'd rather just help the women's team out on a case by case basis, same as the rest of the club, rather than just blindly signing off £6K pa.

Think for that reason I'll vote against on this one.

Kate Cooper has certainly been championing the case for the women’s teams. I’d too would like to see more money distributed on a case by case basis. 
I’d like to see more opportunities for other fan led ventures to make the match day experience better and continue to increase gate revenue which in turn will lead to further investment into the club for them to distribute. 

4 minutes ago, Div said:

I asked if it was going to be open on Saturday for a pint before the Arbroath game and the answer back was that it wouldn't be open for either of the home matches because they wouldn't make enough money.

Every member will have paid £20 for the last 2 months, circa £3K into the club, and they can't even be arsed opening for the first game of the season.

Absolutely piss poor IMO.

Seriously? Think that’s now forced me to stop my subscription. Poor show. 

Just now, Molotov said:

Seriously? Think that’s now forced me to stop my subscription. Poor show. 

Yeah, they haven't even told the members they aren't opening. I had to email to find out!

I can't remember if they opened last year for league cup games or not but it's not a good look.

I do like the club but I'm seriously considering sacking it off and going back to drinking in the town centre.

The football club have invested the square root of fuck all in the place since it opened 7 years ago. All they seem interested in is taking the monthly subscriptions and giving as little back as possible.