The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Just now, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

My post suggests he's being sold to the highest bidder. Unless you would like us to free him? 

That's such a daft reply. Come on, you know the point I'm making, we hold all the cards, we can't choose where he goes but we can choose where he doesn't go. It's not all or nothing, if we stop Carson from going to Dundee we don't have to automatically free him from his contract in return.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

With Shaughnessy and Carson in defence? I think those two signings alone will keep them safe from the dross like St Johnstone.

Shaughnessy has managed to become Nesta since he left when in reality he was our 3rd choice central defender last year and we conceded more goals with him defence than anyone else.

Just now, Ric said:

, if we stop Carson from going to Dundee we don't have to automatically free him from his contract in return.

If we do that, we block off a high earner, continue to pay him a wage and the prospect of bringing in a replacement will be precisely zero as long as he remains under the employment of the club.

Time really isn't on our side with this at all. We need him out to get soneone else in.

1 minute ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Interesting that some people regard Dundee as our rivals. 

To be fair, every club in the league are divisional rivals.

We are a club who let's be honest, are interchangeable with about 7 or 8 other sides in Premiership and Championship. 

Dundee are certainly one of those sides so yeah, I'd say they are a rival side.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

We are a club who let's be honest, are interchangeable with about 7 or 8 other sides in Premiership and Championship. 

Doesn’t matter. The Johnnies are going down this season. We can be pals with the rest 😂

Confident we’ll be bringing in another keeper now and, given his wages, maybe improve the quality of the LWB we’ll look at.

Glad the Carson saga is over, and glad he’s gone. Not from a footballing perspective though, because it would be churlish to say he isn’t a good keeper. I’m glad he’s off the books because of the reason he wanted away. It isn’t like McGinn, or McLean, or even going back in the day, like Fergie going to Oldco. There’s no ‘looking to take the next step up’ going on here. He’s signed for Dundee fer’ feck’ sake. I don’t find it particularly easy to say to be fair, but my view has to be, good riddance. I hope we pump four past Dundee. A lot is made of St Mirren being a tight group. So, unfortunate as it is, cheerio. Hope the door didn’t hit your arse on the way out. Time for us to really get behind Hemming and support him.

Edited by pozbaird

Just now, SS77 said:

Shaughnessy has managed to become Nesta since he left when in reality he was our 3rd choice central defender last year and we conceded more goals with him defence than anyone else.

Not from me, I know he had his faults, but down in the bottom 6, the man showed he was more than capable of being an excellent defender on his day. He didn't get hit often with injuries and due to his influence he was captain of the club. You can be all whimsical about how people seem to be painting him in such a positive light now, but the simple fact is he is an excellent addition to a team that probably expected to be fighting relegation. Add in a top notch keeper into the mix and we seem to be ensuring Dundee's survival.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

If we do that, we block off a high earner, continue to pay him a wage and the prospect of bringing in a replacement will be precisely zero as long as he remains under the employment of the club.

Time really isn't on our side with this at all. We need him out to get soneone else in.

Again, one word: "rival"

How much is one place in the league worth?

Understandable folk saying that we are strengthening Dundee and weakening ourselves.

We aren't weakening ourselves at all though. Carson would not have been playing for us regardless of whether he was a St. Mirren player or not.

End of the day, he HAD to go. The window is slowly closing and if we have any chance of a full-time permanent replacement then it has too happen soon.

Good keeper, very good keeper in fact but a massive man-child.

We've been very lucky with keepers the last few years, especially after the shite of Ridgers and the boy from Swansea.

However, Carson was comfortably behind both Hladky and Alnwick, and freeing up his wage and transfer fee might allow us to get back in the market to get another keeper in.

13 minutes ago, Ric said:

That's such a daft reply. Come on, you know the point I'm making, we hold all the cards, we can't choose where he goes but we can choose where he doesn't go. It's not all or nothing, if we stop Carson from going to Dundee we don't have to automatically free him from his contract in return.

The alternative is to keep him on the books, pay him, and be no better off in the process.

That's a strange position.  I'm not especially interested in his destination.  In the vast majority of cases, St Mirren have absolutely no influence over who other clubs sign.  That's as it should be, and we don't (or certainly shouldn't) lose any sleep over it. I'm happy to treat this as just another instance of that.

This is simply another football transaction.  We are well rid, frankly.  How he performs at Dundee is their concern.

Edited by Drooper

1 minute ago, Ric said:

Again, one word: "rival"

How much is one place in the league worth?

All totally hyperbolic at this point. He would not gain us any league places or win us any points this season as he would not have been available to play.

I don't see the issue in getting him off our books for a fee and the large wage that goes with it and invest that in a goalkeeper who will want to be here.

10 minutes ago, Ric said:

Carson wouldn't have played for us again - regardless of where he signed.

We do not "hold all the cards". We have a player who wants out and other clubs know that.

The alternative is we keep him and pay him to do nothing, if that's what you would prefer?

He is going to the highest bidder, who happen to be Dundee - who may or may not be the only bidder.

Let's be clear, Carson, if the story is to be believed, has been a childish arsehole in all of this and, to be perfectly honest, I don't care where he goes - just as long as he's shown the door.

18 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Exactly. To suggest you can't be dragged back in to swapping with said teams fighting at the bottom is entirely naive just because you had a good season last. 

The premiership is batshit crazy in that we could be fighting you for top 6 or we could equally be in a relegation dogfight with you.