The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

He may be, I've not even listened to his interview, I will argue that it's as clear as day that Dunne's trailing leg comes through and clatters the player. It's the definition of "two footed".

It's certainly not what I would consider to be the definition of a two footed tackle!

A two footed tackle is when a player lunges into a tackle with both feet together. The worst thing that has happened here is that Dunne has made a perfectly good tackle, but has lost his footing on his standing leg (in very slippy conditions) and naturally his standing leg has come trailing through. That is literally nothing like a two footed tackle.

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

McGrath has signed for the Dons. Can recall when he was one of our top players, but he would not get a start for us these days. At least they won’t be trying to sign any of our current midfielders…he says hopefully.

2 minutes ago, Kempes said:

McGrath has signed for the Dons. Can recall when he was one of our top players, but he would not get a start for us these days. At least they won’t be trying to sign any of our current midfielders…he says hopefully.

That surprises me.  

Think it’s a sign of our progress that if we’d signed him I’d have been very ‘meh’.  

36 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

It's certainly not what I would consider to be the definition of a two footed tackle!

A two footed tackle is when a player lunges into a tackle with both feet together. The worst thing that has happened here is that Dunne has made a perfectly good tackle, but has lost his footing on his standing leg (in very slippy conditions) and naturally his standing leg has come trailing through. That is literally nothing like a two footed tackle.

I said as much at the game when the tackle happened right in front of us in the west stand, Dunne slipped on the wet surface as he went to go in for the tackle. There was no malice and certainly no intent to either endanger his opponent or lunge in to injure the boy deliberately. 
Collum was a matter of feet away and for once made the correct call.

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

100% correct.

1 hour ago, elvis said:

So you don't know then.

You've come to that conclusion, but you regularly get it wrong: "we'll get beat", "won't score with those forwards" etc etc.

So forgive me for not accepting your premise.

There are no guarantees though, and I'd imagine there will be other options too.

You think we'll beat Aberdeen?📽️

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

McGrath is better than Kiltie, hes just absolutely dreadful at picking the right club to join. 

Ha ha. Not the best at tracking back as we saw last season and leaving a wobbly defense with no cover far too often.

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

McGrath is better than Kiltie, hes just absolutely dreadful at picking the right club to join. 

Not on this seasons performances so far. He has had to bide his time to get regular starts in the team and has been one of our better performers so far this season and last seasons ending.

59 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Both players who play in midfield. Apart from that, their contribution and style of play makes any comparison meaningless.  

Edited by Doonhame Buddie

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its quite clearly excessive force and the fact he wins the ball is relatively unimportant when looking at that.

You see players carded for similar tackles all the time while "winning the ball" because its a split second judgement theyve made to launch in which could easily go wrong. Its one that most fans dont want cards for and think is fair, but that referees usually dont let go.

I think it falls within 'reckless' definition and Collum was spot on with the yellow. I don't think it meets the requirements for excessive force.

When the ball breaks Dunne comes from a fairly close by, he isn't full pelt from distance. The point of contact is ball initially, but when connecting with the player it is low and studs are down to ground. His second leg does make contact as a follow through but it is behind him going into the challenge. 

3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

He may be, I've not even listened to his interview, I will argue that it's as clear as day that Dunne's trailing leg comes through and clatters the player. It's the definition of "two footed".

His trailing leg comes through as you say, but I'd say a 'two footed tackle' is more one where both feet are pointing at the player and make contact pretty simultaneously. 

I like you are all deciding that cos Dunne's second leg was 0.33 seconds behind his first it wasn't two footed.

You apparently have to dive in like a wee fussball player

Edited by Busta Nut

1 hour ago, medals said:

You've come to that conclusion, but you regularly get it wrong: "we'll get beat", "won't score with those forwards" etc etc.

So forgive me for not accepting your premise.

There are no guarantees though, and I'd imagine there will be other options too.

You think we'll beat Aberdeen?📽️

No idea I certainly hope so .but I won't be there unfortunately I'm of on a cruise on Thursday.