The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

5 hours ago, medals said:

No Doubt it was Hemming's ball to attack.

However Tanser played them on side. So if a Don did get on it, he'd be on side because of that.

Mute point though and as others have said Taylor gave away a daft foul for the free kick.(Although I didn't think there was much in that).

No player is perfect but our entire team are playing with belief and ability that's truly enjoyable.

Happy Birthday Wtf GIF by Piñata Farms: The Meme App

32 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

I couldn’t agree more. Let’s bin the clubs that are a nuisance to get to. I vote for a three team league of St Mirren, QoS and Annan(boo).  The St Mirren franchise will obviously have to relocate to Dumfries & Galloway. 

Sounds like a good plan. I’ll however be voting for a three team league of St Mirren, Clyde, and Falkirk. 😎

So on this thread recently I read that you were gonna win the league "Leicester" style and now you want to fill in the corners at your ground?

You lads are doing well. It's good to see. I fear it's gone to a few heads though. Best of luck to you, with the usual exceptions.

4 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

So on this thread recently I read that you were gonna win the league "Leicester" style and now you want to fill in the corners at your ground?

You lads are doing well. It's good to see. I fear it's gone to a few heads though. Best of luck to you, with the usual exceptions.

7224EE9C-A581-4BCC-B5B9-1A5A80BA6F58.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I never realised how much "at least we're doing better than St. Mirren" was such a big part of Motherwell fans identity until the last couple of seasons.  It's flattering and kinda sad at the same time. 

42 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Wee spoiler for you - I think it's clear that even the most wildly optimistic supporter would be hard pressed to even earnestly predict us for third over the course of a season. We're quite happy having a bit of fun with what's going on while this lasts. It's been a long time since we were up this end of the table even in the opening few exchanges and it certainly doesn't come around very often so we're enjoying milking it dry while it's here. It's funny watching other teams supporters actually thinking anyone is serious when we say we're going on a glory run to the title, laughable actually.

The ground issue is a wee bit different. We have gone from about 20 or so 6k+ attendances combined in the first 13 years of the new ground, to 13 in the last calendar year. In real terms, that's a crowd increase of about 25% in a season which is really rare, especially after making the decision to actively remove a stand from OF which we were told would decimate crowds.

We've had just about twice as many 7k+ attendances in the last 9 months (currently 7 and will certainly be 8 by time Hearts arrive at the end of September) as the rest of our time in the stadium combined (4 in 13 years).

If we maintain anything like the work that Keith Lasley is doing off the pitch to promote the club within the community and to the youth of Paisley and surrounding towns and that's backed up by the team turning in relatively strong performances on the pitch for the next couple of seasons, then I'd certainly say we'd be approaching the territory of looking into a modest capacity increase and filling in a couple of corners would make the most sense and actually make for a better atmosphere.

Edited by djchapsticks

Just been catching up. The two issues of contention that have been raised a few times:

Zach Hemming was 75% at fault for the goal, IMHO. As others have said, he should have claimed it and taken responsibility. Even if Tanser had got to it first, it would have likely resulted in us conceding a corner or a throw, or could have been a poor clearance which afforded Aberdeen another opportunity. That said, the boy's barely put a foot wrong and let's not forget his penalty save against Dundee. Everyone makes mistakes and it's just unfortunate that when a 'keeper does, it often results in the worst possible outcome.

As for increasing capacity, there's absolutely no need at the moment. It's great that we're filling the crowd, but we need to be doing so consistently for a long time before we even contemplate expanding the stadium.

This is the best footage of the Aberdeen penalty and IMHO does indicate that there was a double touch. We were robbed:

Talk of filling in the corners is for the birds, we could never afford it

It also makes no sense. In the corner between the W7 Saints fans and the away fans, most of the corner seats would likely need to be left empty for segregation.

And we aren’t completely selling out the home end anyway!!!

15 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

It also makes no sense. In the corner between the W7 Saints fans and the away fans, most of the corner seats would likely need to be left empty for segregation.

The vast majority of folk who live in Paisley and the surrounding areas. Support the bigot sisters, its been that way for as long as I can remember.

We’re doing good things at the moment and the fans are buying into what the team are doing on the pitch. 

We need to enjoy it while it lasts as we know only to well, it can change rapidly. 

58 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Agreed. We'd need a couple more years of sustained increased crowds to even consider it.

We'd also not be filling in thst end of the park either, surely. It would be the two sides of the family stand?

Edited by djchapsticks

There’s probably only 1 corner between the family & west stands that we could actually fill in anyway because I think we’d need 1 corner at the main stand free for ambulance access, 1 corner has the scoreboard & the corner between the west & away stand would probably need to stay for segregation purposes 

2 minutes ago, RussellV1 said:

There’s probably only 1 corner between the family & west stands that we could actually fill in anyway because I think we’d need 1 corner at the main stand free for ambulance access, 1 corner has the scoreboard & the corner between the west & away stand would probably need to stay for segregation purposes 

You technically could fill in the corner at main stand as long as there's an access tunnel for emergency vehicles or move the access gate to a different corner.

I don't think moving of the scoreboard or the corner with the TV gantry would be too complex

The stadium looked fantastic on Sunday. It’s such an enjoyable place to go right now and the atmosphere is just tremendous when it’s near full and both sets of fans are going at it during an entertaining game like we saw vs Aberdeen. 

Very hard to remember the dull, grey soulless breeze block place it was for the first few seasons after we moved.

The West Bank obviously deserve great credit for all that they have done as do the Marching In group and  Colin Brights team who do so much before (and during) the game to keep the kids entertained.

A proper buzz about the club and long may it continue.

20 hours ago, tam the bud said:

I just can't see them returning to grass anytime soon, so hopefully they can pop down to the championship soon. 

We will return to a grass pitch sooner than you seem to expect. 

I the meantime you should send an invoice to Billy Bowie for rent as our pitch is currency living in your head rent free. 

39 minutes ago, KTID26 said:

We will return to a grass pitch sooner than you seem to expect. 

I the meantime you should send an invoice to Billy Bowie for rent as our pitch is currency living in your head rent free. 

I've absolutely no issues with Killie's or Livi's plastic pitch in terms of our ability to play on it. We train on plastic for large parts of the week so should be able to transfer that to matchday.

Aesthetically though and in terms of match quality on these surfaces, I feel it's not as good as games that are played on grass. The ball seems to have bit too much zip, especially when the surface is wet and that invariably leads to a lot of games being played in the air to combat this. Just in my opinion of course.

12 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Agreed. We'd need a couple more years of sustained increased crowds to even consider it.

We'd also not be filling in thst end of the park either, surely. It would be the two sides of the family stand?

I think the demand from away fans of at least the 'usual' top 5 clubs + Dundee would sell out with an additional few hundred seats installed. The issues I see though that side of the stadium is the fact that if you join on to W7 as mentioned above, there would have to be a segregation in place which would then lose some seats for a stewards line. If it was only one side where the scoreboard currently is, would it really be worth it also for the sake of an extra few hundred seats? It would take quite some time to make the money back spent on it being built.