The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Just now, Thenorthernlight said:

I hear what you say & partially agree, but the fee you’d get for Baccus would be more than the difference he’d make to your league position?

Plus, you might have a replacement in mind, & you have your captain to come back soon too. 

You’ll probably make top 6 again this season, regardless of whether he stays or goes. 

In the case of Baccus? Quite possibly. Quite probably even!

For Strain, I'd say we are almost certainly not going to bring in a replacement for him who is anywhere near as good as he is. He's vital to the way the team plays.

7 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, please don't get me wrong, I think Baccus is a very good player and will do well if he goes to Aberdeen. He just doesn't have that wee extra something that clubs pay that bit more for, he's not massively creative, he won't chip in with 7-10 goals a season. But he'll do a good job anyway.

Sounds like an identikit of Ylber Ramadani 

We only play two midfielders anyway. Baccus is great for us and we are worse when he doesn't play, but we have the depth to cover.

The really fucking annoying thing is, as always, the last minute nature of this.

I was comfortable losing Baccus when it was June and we had time to adapt. Now... FFS.

6 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I hear what you say & partially agree, but the fee you’d get for Baccus would be more than the difference he’d make to your league position?

Plus, you might have a replacement in mind, & you have your captain to come back soon too. 

You’ll probably make top 6 again this season, regardless of whether he stays or goes. 
With Robinson & your head of recruitments contacts, I’m sure you’d get a good loan in, at worst. 

Besides I’m not sure of the credibility of the source Pete O’Rourke. 

Pete O’Rourke is always bang on. He worked for Sky Sports for years and looks to be the main guy at his new place.

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Did you not agree a fee for Baccus earlier in the year? Stick 10% on for being in the same division seems fair. 

Why did he end up staying? 

Because Bolton are a tiny wee skint club who told their own fans he failed a medical due to a knee problem that he needed a scan on, which 100% wasn't the case. 

Coincidentally he suffered a small calf tear later that week that kept him out for a month. 

We had agreed apparently £275k up front and same again in clauses so up to £550k. I'd imagine we'd probably accept £300-400k up front and clauses.

12 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Besides I’m not sure of the credibility of the source Pete O’Rourke. 

FootyInsider, though sounding like a shitey Agent Scotland type twitter, has been pretty bang on the money all summer with their exclusives so I'd be (pleasantly) shocked if there was nothing in it.

10 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Did you not agree a fee for Baccus earlier in the year? Stick 10% on for being in the same division seems fair. 

Why did he end up staying? 

He was carrying an injury when the Bolton deal was agreed. They backed out. He recovered fairly quickly, but Bolton had already moved on by then.

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

And rightly so.

I canny believe we need to revisit this every single time a transfer happens.

No football club in the world discloses transfers fees and certainly not because fans think they deserve to know how much players have been sold for.

I think the timing of this, given when the window closes, gives us a stronger hand. If you want him now, you give us a good fee.

I dont think he'd spit the dummy if we knocked Aberdeen back, if he holds off until the end of the season and he's on a free transfer he'll have a lot more options.

I really like Baccus and he's started this season much better than he ended last.

There's definitely not the same pressure to replace him as there would be for a Strain or OHara. 

If Bolton is close to full fitness then it allows Gogic to move into the middle or CBM to continue in there. I'm relatively relaxed about Baccus staying or going. 

Edited by Stan Bo

33 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's unclear but seems that Bolton went cold/changed their minds. 

31 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Because Bolton are a tiny wee skint club who told their own fans he failed a medical due to a knee problem that he needed a scan on, which 100% wasn't the case. 

Coincidentally he suffered a small calf tear later that week that kept him out for a month. 

We had agreed apparently £275k up front and same again in clauses so up to £550k. I'd imagine we'd probably accept £300-400k up front and clauses.

27 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

He was carrying an injury when the Bolton deal was agreed. They backed out. He recovered fairly quickly, but Bolton had already moved on by then.

I hope you're not trying to palm off an injured player. We can check you know, we've got a doctor. 

53 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It isn't as simple as this.

You might not get a fee but (if the team is good and playing well) what do you get in prize money and gate receipts that you wouldn't otherwise get?

There are no guarantees obviously so the board might snap at a guaranteed £250k, rather than taking chances. But you get a lot more for being 6th than 11th and we will make a lot more by winning and getting 7k+ crowds than losing and flirting with 5k crowds.

I would rather keep good players than sell any for £200k or whatever, and take the chance that we win prize money and play well enough to get more fans through the gates regularly.

And extended cup runs and the money they bring in too.

id be really disappointed to lose Baccus now, i dont really care whether we got 100k or 500k for any of our players, i just want to be able to enjoy watching them for as long as they are the club.  If we got 500k the manager wouldnt see much of any off it so as a fan, keep our squad together as the harmony seems to be something at the moment.

4 minutes ago, MarreZ said:

id be really disappointed to lose Baccus now, i dont really care whether we got 100k or 500k for any of our players, i just want to be able to enjoy watching them for as long as they are the club.  If we got 500k the manager wouldnt see much of any off it so as a fan, keep our squad together as the harmony seems to be something at the moment.

And how do you know he wouldn't see much or any of it.

40 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Can't believe nobody is fuming we might potentially sell a player to a rival.

I mean, surely the hypocrites who screamed bloody murder about Carson will be along any second now? Surely?

It's happened regularly for decades. We are where we are in the food chain and that means even in our league there are bigger fish that will prey on us. We can gnash and wail but unless there is a counter bid from a club outwith our division there isn't much we can do to prevent it if we want to maximise the returns on our investment AND ensure the next Baccus,  Strain etc are happy to sign for us.