The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

14 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Hope we don't see any of our fans waving pro Palestein flags at Stav Nahmani. I would like to think our fans are more sensible than the Celtic fans for example

As an old leftie i hate the Israeli regime and the war crimes they are committing, but equally i hate what Hamas did last weekend. However, i'm sure our fans are sensible enough to understand how difficult this must be for those who may have family and friends over there.

It's an issue that simply shouldn't be touched. Leave political statements to times when it's relevant. A football pitch or stand is not the time for that unless it is an issue that directly affects the game or the club.

Nor should Stav be held in any other regard by our support simply for what part of the world he was born in.

13 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Alongside the on-field progress, I think that must be seen as the main positive for the club.

I don't think Strain and Baccus, in their wildest dreams, could have imagined the impact that moving to SMFC would have on their careers.

Hopefully that will attract others to the club and lead to continued success for us.

Realistically got to hope Baccus and Strain tell folk got St Mirren do well and it's a stepping stone to a move up the ladder as such.

9 hours ago, thomas said:

Realistically got to hope Baccus and Strain tell folk got St Mirren do well and it's a stepping stone to a move up the ladder as such.

That's our best hope.

By my reckoning Strain, Baccus, Grieve, Ronan and McGrath have all had their first international call ups or caps as St. Mirren players in the last 3 or 4 years. It's definitely a selling point we should be pushing home to any potential signings from outside Scotland/England.

Caolan Boyd-Munce will likely join that list soon as well. 

23 minutes ago, Kempes said:

The commentator mentioned that Mcmenamin was the first ever St Mirren player to score for NI. A question to those in the know: who was the last St Mirren player to score for Scotland?

Any advance on Tommy Gemmell in this game?

https://www.11v11.com/matches/scotland-v-portugal-04-may-1955-226510/

Over the last 4 years I think I've seen far more Saints players called up and/or capped than I have in rest of my time supporting Saints combined.

McGrath, Ronan, Carson, Gallagher, Grieve, Gogic, Strain, Baccus and McMenamin have all had call ups as Saints players.

Caolan Boyd-Munce and Ayunga are both very likely to also be called up in the future for NI and Kenya respectively.

Aside from that, since 1993, I can really only remember Samson and Nazon being called up to full squads when Saints players.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Aside from that, since 1993, I can really only remember Samson and Nazon being called up to full squads when Saints players.

Since 1993:

Did Declan Gallacher not get a Scotland squad call up after he signed for us? Don’t think he played though. 

I believe Fenwick was capped by Canada and Puri by Estonia. 

Before 1993: Last full Scottish cap whilst a Saints player was Roy Aitken.

Yeah Dorman and Gallacher both called up for Scotland vs Wales in 2013, neither got capped. Dorman won his caps just after he left us. Same as the situation with Lewis Morgan.

Sander Puri was with us about 2 months, did he get a call up in that time?

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

Since 1993:

Did Declan Gallacher not get a Scotland squad call up after he signed for us? Don’t think he played though. 

Did Burchall play for Trinidad & Tobago while on loan with us?

Edited by Coventry Saint

56 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Since 1993:

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Over the last 4 years I think I've seen far more Saints players called up and/or capped than I have in rest of my time supporting Saints combined.

McGrath, Ronan, Carson, Gallagher, Grieve, Gogic, Strain, Baccus and McMenamin have all had call ups as Saints players.

Caolan Boyd-Munce and Ayunga are both very likely to also be called up in the future for NI and Kenya respectively.

I mentioned Gallagher.

22 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Did Burchall play for Trinidad & Tobago while on loan with us?

I don’t think he did - 2007 was a bleak year for him internationally. 

He was most recently the Director of Football at Stoke City but no longer in post. 

IMG_4329.thumb.jpeg.9cdb62027d966e17947bc38304a1359d.jpegIMG_4328.thumb.jpeg.cb3df9aaa45a8a477846a00f6daf7004.jpeg

Looks like Dorman was still on our books when he played against Croatia on 23rd May 2010, having last played for Saints on 8th May. I don't see any references to him being at Crystal Palace until July.

e.g. BBC name checked him as a Saints player.

image.png.f60d294655b96ffac236aa579a2907e4.png

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_of_wales/8678876.stm