The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Without doubt Jim Clunie and Ricky McFarlane both built on the foundations laid by Alex Ferguson. 
With a bit more fortune I think both of those managers could have won major honours.

There were some serious sickening moments in Hampden semi finals that went against us during that particular period that have been well documented. 

The squads between ‘76 and ‘87 - especially the early years were filled with brilliant players and a few characters too!

Let’s enjoy these moments and hopefully with a bit of luck we can secure another major domestic honour (Scottish cup) and qualification for European football through our league position. 

Might be worth seeing what odds we can get on Saints winning the SC this season.

I've enjoyed re-reading some of the posts in this thread back in July after we lost 0-2 in a kickabout against Morton (pages 1946-1950 or thereabouts).

Umpteen Morton-supporting roasters giving it full-strength bravado about both teams' prospects for this season - we are going down, Morton going up, blah, blah, blah.

Has anyone seen Colkitto or Purplemonkeydishwasher posting in this thread lately ? The only one l back then spouting that 'St Mirren are sure to be shite this season' , and who stills posts on here is, of course, Elvis.

😛

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

Without doubt Jim Clunie and Ricky McFarlane both built on the foundations laid by Alex Ferguson. 
With a bit more fortune I think both of those managers could have won major honours.

There were some serious sickening moments in Hampden semi finals that went against us during that particular period that have been well documented. 

The squads between ‘76 and ‘87 - especially the early years were filled with brilliant players and a few characters too!

Let’s enjoy these moments and hopefully with a bit of luck we can secure another major domestic honour (Scottish cup) and qualification for European football through our league position. 

Might be worth seeing what odds we can get on Saints winning the SC this season.

Well if we win the SC we won’t be able to better that in the league as it carries the most valuable European qualification prize. 
Unless of course we finish 1st or 2nd and get Champions League. 😄

1 hour ago, billyg said:

He's up there , because of the sustained improvement. Only similar situations I can remember would be Alex Wright , who turned us round on a shoestring and established us again in the top league , and of course Fergie , who came in to an almost impossible task but completely turned it around , although it took him 2 full years really. We've had a few brief highs and several lows since , but at no time did we have a manager that truly looked as if he was in control , until now !

I think Robbo and co are doing a fabulous job, but to add to that, they are being allowed to, and supported by a great team who brought them here as well.

The forward steps in the last 15 years have also been very helpful - like the new stadium, clearing debt etc.

It is going to be much harder to keep progressing,  but not impossible either.

3rd, europe, cup wins and an even better squad, and being even more clinical are all fair aims.

No matter what, winning more than losing and entertaining us as they currently are is marvellous.

In terms of pure enjoyment, entertainment and 'cannae wait for Saturday to come', I'd have to nominate the Ferguson era, in particular the promotion season. 

Amazing European nights in the eighties ! Anglo-Scottish Cup success !

Next best would be the Tom Hendrie promotion season, hugely entertaining and goals galore. Yardley and Lavety up front, Tommy Turner controlling midfield and defence. Some of my most memorable St Mirren games were in that season (Raith away those 2 late goals, gubbing Morton away, Paul McKnight's winner at Ayr, etc).

If we can hold on to Robinson and the cire of our current squad then perhaps we can achieve something similar in the top division.

34 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Unless of course we finish 1st or 2nd and get Champions League. 😄

You are clearly not as ambitious as I am! Or as daft. 

Get on board the Robbo and express!

Choo choo!

Passports checked and at the ready! 

😜 😂 😝 

As Elvis would say “If I can dream!”

Perhaps we should adopt this as our pre match anthem with some lyrics changed?

Edited by Molotov

46 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Got a feeling Baccus may be suspended. Picks up a good few bookings. 

Apparently picked up an injury.

Mandron on bench too. Is he being protected or a late weapon to unleash? 

Edited by medals

Just now, Doonhame Buddie said:

I’m not hearing many people complaining about Hemming now. 

There are some St Mirren fans on here who perhaps owe him an apology. Some had written him off before he even pulled on his gloves for the first time. 
When we had our best runs in the league in the 70s and 80s we had two very young goalkeepers. All goalkeepers will make errors. Zach is doing a great job and if he does have a sticky spell it’s important that we back him. COYS.
Jamie Langfield is a superb coach. 

The fact we'll all be disappointed that we haven't taken anything from a game at Parkhead (and also the fact it's not a one off), shows how far we've come.

Looking at our team tonight as well:

Hemming - dropped at Kilmarnock and hunted 

Gogic - released by Hibs

Tanser - struggled for starts at St Johnstone

Taylor - picked up from the Irish second tier

O'Hara - left Motherwell for more games

Mandron - released by Motherwell 

Greive - signed from semi pro in New Zealand

Robinson is getting a tune out all these guys. Many who couldn't hold down a place in teams well below us in the league. He's doing an incredible job.

Just an idle thought. If we disregard our managers who won a second tier title, or a cup (excluding the Renfrewshire), Robbo’ must be in the conversation for best manager not to have delivered silverware.

….yet.

11 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Robinson is getting a tune out all these guys. Many who couldn't hold down a place in teams well below us in the league. He's doing an incredible job.

According to some Motherwell fans they rate Kettlewell as a far better manager than Robbo. 😮 😂 

11 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

I’m not hearing many people complaining about Hemming now. 

We should use our second place prize money to sign him up on a long term contract.  The lure of guaranteed European football should be enough to convince him.  

2nd place prize money? (3rd or 4th)

Think we may get Hemming back on loan next season but i would not be opposed to buying him if we could afford it. 

Last night Hemming had a good game, as did Taylor, Fraser, Kiltie CBM.

The rest pulled their weight too.

Toyosi doesn't compete for headers/challenges like Mandron or Greive. He has speed, he will no doubt improve, but again missed a really decent chance last night.

Glad Conor is off and running with his 1st goal for us too.

47 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Harsh one for you last night. Good sign of how far your team has come that you matched Celtic for so long.

"Giving someone a game" might seem like a laughably low barometer for success, but honestly, if we can keep 11 men on the park, I am confident that we can go toe-to-toe with anyone in this league. We'll still lose probably 17 out of 20 games against the Old Firm, but we're no pushovers any more and that is huge progress.