The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Vastly underperforming and (allegedly) vastly overpaid.

No thanks.

He had 2 year or something left on his deal at QPR when we signed him so it's not unreasonable to think he's on a decent wedge.

The story seems to be his weekly is at the top end of our scale but it's not wild instead it was his signing on fee that made sure he wasn't leaving money on the table.

The season we signed him on a permanent our accounts show we spent £542k on players (we paid fees for 5 or 6). I'd guess the Kelly deal accounts for a chunk of that.

3 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm sure the story is Robinson is the one who signed Kelly for us but resigned before the window actually opened.

I think most of us would be pretty happy if you got him.

Aye. Lawleff basically said that it was Robinson who initiated his signing Alexander just waved it through and signed off on it. Alexander wasn't even the manager when Kelly was announced so odds are the loan had been set up by Robinson/Foyle.

Robinson resigned on 31st December, Kelly announced on 6th January. Alexander was confirmed 7th January.

18 minutes ago, medals said:

Even so Madron should have had 2 goals, Scott etc. There's playing bad and there's not taking sitters.

I get that but lumping high balls into the box wasn’t a great plan, we have the players to play the ball on the ground and turn teams.
Livi are decent in the air but both their centre halves are suspect to a ball behind them, we never got in behind them enough and essentially played the game Livi wanted.

We’re definitely having a great season but today was massively frustrating and a bad day at the office.

Onwards and upwards I guess. 

You can certainly see why the club was willing to drive a coach and horses through the wage structure to sign Van Veen a couple of weeks ago. 

19 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Screenshot_20240217-185907_kindlephoto-4636191.thumb.png.9ddccc182563c1631c3d48e8c4f087b3.png

Was that a Jack Ross moment ? I left with 10 minutes to go guy behind me constantly swearing at the top of his voice, don't think he has much time for Elvis ( the player ) who was getting it left right and centre. It reminds me when we moved to Greenhill Road why I  choose the main stand for my season ticket getting too old to listen to players getting abuse. 

5 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the 2 PCAs is Liam Kelly.

Hasn't worked under Robinson, but is out-of-contract and his younger brother is our 3rd choice goalie.....

Not having a great season, but still only 28 and a recent Scotland cap.

You should watch Sportscene. Trev had a world class save, again. Thanks guys. 

3 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

No arguments here, if he hadn't refused to play after being rested against his team, he would still be here. Hopefully his save was bright and beautiful?

6 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

No need to thank us mate, the ones he threw in at St Mirren park a couple of weeks ago were thanks enough.

29 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Was that a Jack Ross moment ? 

The look on the guy's face that Robinson had the audacity to challenge him! Only in football can you shout abuse at someone 30 yards from you just doing their job and get away with it. Try it on the binman....

Today was really frustrating as I think if we scored any of the chances we had, we'd have went on to win the game. Some of Boyd Munce's passing and crossing, in the first half in particular, was sublime. The problem was then that noone was actually sticking it in the back of the net. 

It's pretty obvious but we need to get better at taking chances. I think our compusure in front of goal and finishing might be the difference between us getting into Europe or finishing 6th (or lower). Games like Hibs and Aberdeen away show that if we can get that first goal, then we're better at seeing the game out, compared to last season. I might be wrong but I think the last time we've lost a game where we scored was away to Celtic in November. 

Bit of an overreaction to today. Was a disaster of a result but we weren't all that bad and still created chances, would be more worrying if we just passed it about with no purpose. I think Jamieson made an impact when he came on, albeit against a pretty poor side. I just hope this won't restart striker roulette, I think the right wing position is up for grabs but the other two we haven't better options than Kiltie and Mandron. Could've added 37 mins on as injury time today and we wouldn't have scored. It was just one of those days.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Unfortunately for yourselves, you won't catch your opposition suffering from a dose of the shits week in week out.

Ah that old one. 

FWIW, I think you’ll finish 4th at least. Hopefully we can make things interesting though. 

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

Was that a Jack Ross moment ? I left with 10 minutes to go guy behind me constantly swearing at the top of his voice, don't think he has much time for Elvis ( the player ) who was getting it left right and centre. It reminds me when we moved to Greenhill Road why I  choose the main stand for my season ticket getting too old to listen to players getting abuse. 

I had to move at HT, some old guy directly behind me who did nothing but abuse players from 30 seconds in. He was almost giddy at the goal for having been proven correct.

I had to shift as I was on verge of having words.

Just now, Liam899 said:

Ah that old one. 

FWIW, I think you’ll finish 4th at least. Hopefully we can make things interesting though. 

Killie are a good side. As are yourselves. Definitely think the top six just now will be how it looks after 33 and it should be a good three way shootout for 4th-6th.