The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Great point on the Motherwell thread, given Killie's form and the lack of contribution from KVV, it looks more like they signed him to stop him going to us rather than really wanting him in their team. 

34 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Had a look that.  Only two lines about 5th:

”Whoever secures fifth at the end of the season will go into Conference League qualifying at round two.”

Looked up, and we’d need to win 3 ties to get into the group stages.

Finishing 4th makes things so much easier.  Even if you lose your first game, you go straight to Conference League play off.

Such a shame that we had such a bad run.  That second half at Rugby Park - ouch!

Agree, but as long as we hang onto 5th, it really doesn’t matter that there’s three qualifiers to get to the group stage, the facts are we’d see the UEFA flag flying in the corner of the ground, and the match programme would be a genuine European game collectors item. Even if it is against some Welsh or far flung mob, the matchday announcement would be ‘Welcome to the SMiSA Stadium for this UEFA Conference League qualifier against FC Kazakdiddy’…

That’s good enough for me. Hope we don’t fcuk this chance up. 

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Agree, but as long as we hang onto 5th, it really doesn’t matter that there’s three qualifiers to get to the group stage, the facts are we’d see the UEFA flag flying in the corner of the ground, and the match programme would be a genuine European game collectors item. Even if it is against some Welsh or far flung mob, the matchday announcement would be ‘Welcome to the SMiSA Stadium for this UEFA Conference League qualifier against FC Kazakdiddy’…

That’s good enough for me. Hope we don’t fcuk this chance up. 

We are St Mirren of course we will feck it up 

3 hours ago, Torfason said:

Great point on the Motherwell thread, given Killie's form and the lack of contribution from KVV, it looks more like they signed him to stop him going to us rather than really wanting him in their team. 

TBH he seems to be carrying an injury more than anything. Quite glad we missed out on him.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the Motherwell thread. There's one poster who used us as an example of a club who will eventually emulate their glorious administration as apparently we're overspending.

Clearly no idea of how our club is being run these days.

Edited by FTOF

5 hours ago, Torfason said:

He was signed with the purpose of pushing for 4th.

The money from the league and guaranteed European money would be far more than his cost in wages. Which are not that high!

The idea of big money in England hoovering up our young talent before we really get a chance to see them get regular football gives me the boak. 🤢 

I understand why these clubs operate that model and why young players choose that option but it’s still fecking shite.

Although I guess down the years St Mirren benefited by taking on Steve Clarke (Beith Juniors), Frank McAvennie (Johnstone Burgh) and Ian Ferguson (Clyde) at a relatively young age for little outlay but profiting later on through big transfers.

Modern fitba is pish. Fcuk Sky, etc….

IMG_9270.thumb.jpeg.5558fbab1e3eb606eb09a7104c311e25.jpeg

6 hours ago, Torfason said:

I maybe wouldn’t go as far as to say that’s the only reason we signed him but getting a player that some of your competitors wants is always a bit of a bonus.

It just hasn’t worked out for KVV with Watkins and Vassell doing so well and it’s been impossible to drop them to be honest. 

15 hours ago, FTOF said:

TBH he seems to be carrying an injury more than anything. Quite glad we missed out on him.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the Motherwell thread. There's one poster who used us as an example of a club who will eventually emulate their glorious administration as apparently we're overspending.

Clearly no idea of how our club is being run these days.

Seen that comment about us not paying back the COVID loan. What a load of nonsense.

13 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Seen that comment about us not paying back the COVID loan. What a load of nonsense.

The COVID loan is 20 year interest free. All but 2 clubs (I think) used the covid loan and all took out different loan amounts. We could literally pay it back over 20 years at as low as 100k+. 

We have changed our model and its having a positive effect.

5 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

The COVID loan is 20 year interest free. All but 2 clubs (I think) used the covid loan and all took out different loan amounts. We could literally pay it back over 20 years at as low as 100k+. 

We have changed our model and its having a positive effect.

I think there was something about us electing to pay it back as a lump sum, though I read that on here so could be bollocks.

If it's interest free I can't understand why we'd choose that option.

16 hours ago, AW saint said:

We are St Mirren of course we will feck it up 

You're up against Dundee, one of us has to be successful however bizarre that seems...

Watch as we pip you to 5th and then get denied a UEFA license for the pitch or something.

2 minutes ago, stu2910 said:

You're up against Dundee, one of us has to be successful however bizarre that seems...

Watch as we pip you to 5th and then get denied a UEFA license for the pitch or something.

At least then we could all be raging together. That would feel quite natural at least.

1 minute ago, houston_bud said:

At least then we could all be raging together. That would feel quite natural at least.

That would feel better.  As a 31 year old, the concept of being so positive about both Dundee and Scotland makes me feel queasy.

19 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Need some St Johnstone or Motherwell fans on here to come and drop the facts about St Mirren's finances, IMO.

Rand*m G*y incoming…