The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

2 hours ago, GAD said:

I can't really understand why anyone wouldn't do it to be honest, especially the smaller clubs in one club towns.  I'm genuinely surprised to hear Dunfermline didn't.

Apart from anything else it brings the club and the community closer together, it helps give local business a bit of a boost and it creates an even bigger feel good factor around the club as well as giving a bit of an extension to the big day. It's also something the kids can get involved in and celebrate, rather than just going home after the lap of honour.

We done them for the Scottish cup wins but I don't think we've ever done one for a title win, as far as I'm aware. 

Maybe we'll do one if we win another, our board are allot more in touch with the fans and the town. 

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

I have to admit, I'd have been deeply embarrassed if Dundee had gone on an open top bus parade after we won the Championship. 

Why though? Dundee are a diddy club and winning the championship is an achievement for you. You'll never win the Premier league again, I doubt there are many people alive who saw your last Scottish cup win, and I think your last major honour was the league cup in the 70s. Dundee will probably get relegated and win the championship a couple of times before they ever win any of the big cups. Might as well celebrate the good times as you don't really get many.

2 hours ago, Dee Man said:

I have to admit, I'd have been deeply embarrassed if Dundee had gone on an open top bus parade after we won the Championship. 

Well, of course. Winning the Championship isn't as glorious as getting promoted by default, or going into administration. We can only aspire to be as great a club as Dundee.

56 minutes ago, GAD said:

Why though? Dundee are a diddy club and winning the championship is an achievement for you. You'll never win the Premier league again, I doubt there are many people alive who saw your last Scottish cup win, and I think your last major honour was the league cup in the 70s. Dundee will probably get relegated and win the championship a couple of times before they ever win any of the big cups. Might as well celebrate the good times as you don't really get many.

We celebrated winning the Championship, but not with an open top bus parade. 

22 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Well, of course. Winning the Championship isn't as glorious as getting promoted by default, or going into administration. We can only aspire to be as great a club as Dundee.

I don't really think going into administration is a cause for celebration to be honest, so that's a bit silly. 

16 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

We celebrated winning the Championship, but not with an open top bus parade. 

I don't really think going into administration is a cause for celebration to be honest, so that's a bit silly. 

Seems like a massive missed opportunity to be honest. It's something people remember best about the good times, especially the kids.

I see you guys have apparently opened talks with Paul McGinn.

He was absolutely sensational under Ian Murray and Jack Ross at the Rock, so good in fact most of us couldn't believe you guys let him go and kept David Van Zanten!

That means he'll probably be utterly garbage like near enough every ex-Son you sign, but hopefully it paves the way for a glorious return over the water.

4 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I see you guys have apparently opened talks with Paul McGinn.

He was absolutely sensational under Ian Murray and Jack Ross at the Rock, so good in fact most of us couldn't believe you guys let him go and kept David Van Zanten!

That means he'll probably be utterly garbage like near enough every ex-Son you sign, but hopefully it paves the way for a glorious return over the water.

Yeah, I've seen that mentioned a couple of times. He never played a game for us! 

While we'd love to keep Liam Smith, it looks like we'd spend most of the summer waiting to hear if Hearts are keeping him or not. Plus, either way, he's under contract there. Can't see them letting someone so promising going for nothing. 

Jack likes to get business done quickly, so the family connections make McGinn seem like a no-brainer, TBH.

4 hours ago, Dee Man said:

I wrote something similar before it happened fact is it turned out into a huge party in Paisley on Saturday night the atmosphere was electric into the small hours of Sunday morning.  

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, I've seen that mentioned a couple of times. He never played a game for us! 

While we'd love to keep Liam Smith, it looks like we'd spend most of the summer waiting to hear if Hearts are keeping him or not. Plus, either way, he's under contract there. Can't see them letting someone so promising going for nothing. 

Jack likes to get business done quickly, so the family connections make McGinn seem like a no-brainer, TBH.

I would love for us to pay a fee for Liam Smith but I doubt Hearts will let him go given how much of a standout he’s been for us. 

Jack is not the type of manager who hangs about and will most definitely get his transfer dealings done early. Paul McGinn is a good solid signing if the rumours about a PCA are true. We can’t really hang about until late July or early August to find out if Hearts are going to keep or let Liam Smith go.

Edited by glenburn bud

6 hours ago, Dee Man said:

When a Dundonian speaks about embarrassment, then we should all listen. These guys have a lot of experience of such things.

Seems I've struck a bit of a nerve here. 

If you guys are happy to give a wee wave to your heroes up on their bus for winning the Championship, you batter in. Don't let the Dundee fan that thinks it's a bit of a minter spoil your fun. 

Has Paul McGinn done well for Thistle this season? It doesn't look like he's played much for a team battling relegation, but I don't know if there is a reason for that, other than he's been shite?

If you guys are happy to give a wee wave to your heroes up on their bus for winning the Championship, you batter in. Don't let the Dundee fan that thinks it's a bit of a minter spoil your fun. 

I suppose at the moment there is a huge connection between the club and the support and that would have been a factor. We have changed from saint boo to saint do and the fans have played a huge part in this season's success.

Saturday in Paisley was a brilliant day for the team, the fans and local businesses and a day for the kids to enjoy too

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

Achievements are very relative. I'd say what St Mirren achieved this season, in a very competitive league, against teams with more financial power than us is a bigger achievement than say Celtic winning (buying) another treble with a player budget more than twice the size of their closest rivals. 

Has Paul McGinn done well for Thistle this season? It doesn't look like he's played much for a team battling relegation, but I don't know if there is a reason for that, other than he's been shite?

We only signed him to help cover Booth and Elliott whilst injured. He’s not as good as Elliott so has been benched since he returned. Would be happy to keep him as back-up tbh but nothing more.