The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

30 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Funny seeing Bolton play against us. I thought I would be more upset about it than I was. Hope Robbo gets his replacement in soon as Rooney is not the answer. Taylor also needs to remain in the side. 

I think we need to change captain to Gogic this season. 

Agree, with O’Hara being captain it gives him an added air of being undroppable and he’s not good or consistent enough to have that tag.

To me Gogic is the only undroppable player in the squad, which I think is a good thing. 

Just now, saintmurn said:

O'Hara was dropped for a few games last season, no? 

Regardless, Robbo doesn't come across the type that would play anyone just cos they're captain. 

He was but in my opinion not as often as he should have been. By the standard he set the previous season he had a pretty poor one last season and should have been dropped more. 

I agree with you about Robbo but I still think the captain will get a bit more license than other players. 

3 minutes ago, SS77 said:

What is this obsession with taking the captaincy off O’Hara? Robinson watches the team every single day in training and bases his pick off that.

He’s led us to 2 successive top 6 finishes and to Europe for the 1st time - I’d say he’s doing a far better job than most of the previous captains we’ve had. 

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Just had a quick look at flights to our potential opponents and it's not good news. Some of the travel options for Albania have now disappeared so presumably full. You can still get flights to Reykjavik - at £950 per person return!

There's no doubt OHara didn't hit the heights of his first season but some niggling injuries and a change of shape in midfield were the reason for that. While we play the 523 like last year as opposed to the 532 of his first season OHara and whoever are required to do the dirty stuff more. 

OHara has and continues to be a hugely important player for us. 

22 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Just had a quick look at flights to our potential opponents and it's not good news. Some of the travel options for Albania have now disappeared so presumably full. You can still get flights to Reykjavik - at £950 per person return!

The flight on Monday 22nd from Edinburgh to Tirana sold out on Thursday.  Flight back on the Friday was around €100 last time I checked.

20 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

The flight on Monday 22nd from Edinburgh to Tirana sold out on Thursday.  Flight back on the Friday was around €100 last time I checked.

How is it possible to make that flight back?

Surely far too early.  

I’m thinking if we want to keep young Sutherland a bit longer, then it will be imperative that he gets regular starts.

He has all the tools and will no doubt get himself a big move. But I would imagine his agent will be well aware of all the interest and part of any deal to keep him with us a bit longer, will involve a regular start. 

I would love to see him get a regular starting place, as he’s one of the most exciting young players we’ve had for a while.

2 hours ago, SS77 said:

What is this obsession with taking the captaincy off O’Hara? Robinson watches the team every single day in training and bases his pick off that.

He’s led us to 2 successive top 6 finishes and to Europe for the 1st time in nearly 40 years - I’d say he’s doing a far better job than most of the previous captains we’ve had. 

Obsession???

13 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Obsession???

I see it everywhere on forums, X, FB fan groups etc. It’s a nonsense thing to suggest.

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Very jealous of this trip, if it turns out to be Albania.

Ferry from Bari, surely? Looks fucking tremendous. Taxi from the ferry to Tirana, bus to Shkoder.

Fucking belter of a trip.

Sounds horrific but good luck to all who are prepared to attempt it.