The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, AlfieMoon said:

Flights are already pretty expensive.  There’s not much in the way of cheap options and many of the connecting flights have long wait times and/or arrivals after midnight in Tirana (if going that route). 

Direct flights to Reykavik are even worse, coming in at nearly a grand each. Only cheaper way is going via London, but this is still £400 each.

The lack of certainty has screwed us a bit, and if we get through it'll almost certainly also be an  either / or tie in the next round, so the same issue.

Maybe I'll just save my money for the group stages.

Am I right in saying the draw for the third qualifying round is made after this weeks games i.e. we’ll know which two teams we might face before we play our second round matches? Or possibly even which team if it’s a team coming in at that stage. 

ETA Decided not to be a lazy b*****d and googled it myself. Yes, draw on Monday. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

This is the definitive guide to qualification ins and outs.

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/seedco2024.html

If Saints do make it to QR3 they would be unseeded.

Teams with one asterisk are straight in at QR3. For the purpose of providing an insight the site assumes that the higher seeded team qualifies from the previous rounds (a big assumption).

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Have you got a link to those comments at all? I was briefly in a Twitter debate with someone losing their shit over a friendly result, in which I made that exact point about strenuous training. I've always got to have the last word so would be good to dive back to that.

Post match interview on the link. Very first thing he says.

Four goals shared in draw with Fleetwood Town (stmirren.com)

4 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

A wee update from the club would be appreciated. I’ve given up on Valur and hoping we get a trip to Albania. The travel plans we’ve made mean travelling to Manchester on Sunday for an early flight to Montenegro on Monday. If the club says tickets will be available for collection from Monday, I’m goosed. 

Further Update – St Mirren v Valur FC/KF Vllaznia

Home tickets for next round sold out.:thumsup2

Edited by FTOF

45 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

This is the definitive guide to qualification ins and outs.

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/seedco2024.html

If Saints do make it to QR3 they would be unseeded.

Teams with one asterisk are straight in at QR3. For the purpose of providing an insight the site assumes that the higher seeded team qualifies from the previous rounds (a big assumption).

Thanks for this. If we make it through would probably want to avoid teams from Turkey or Greece (too hot) or Israel (too genocidey). Anything else would be OK.

29 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Thanks for this. If we make it through would probably want to avoid teams from Turkey or Greece (too hot) or Israel (too genocidey). Anything else would be OK.

Best case scenario for an either/or situation is that it’s 2 clubs relatively close together in Central Europe. 

and yes, we’re getting way ahead of ourselves. 😁

Not getting too far ahead of myself but tickets book for Wroclaw , always wanted to go might as well get some site seeing in between playing whoever we play in the final🤟🏻

Edited by Hooded Claw

7 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Flights are already pretty expensive.  There’s not much in the way of cheap options and many of the connecting flights have long wait times and/or arrivals after midnight in Tirana (if going that route). 

I was in Shkodër in 2019 for the Albania vs Turkey match (they were still building the new national stadium in Tirana at the time) before taking a water taxi to Valbonë before eventually heading into Kosovo.

Although, I had been in Stuttgart for a music festival, I flew into Tirana from Bologna on a budget airline, and took a furgon up to Shkodër.

I can't believe there will be any issues with regards tickets. They didn't even sell out the Turkey match.

And much more affordable than bloody Iceland!

Or you could check the Bari ferry to Durres. I was there a few months before the earthquake in 2019 but I'm assuming Durres is back to normal now.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

12 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I was in Shkodër in 2019 for the Albania vs Turkey match (they were still building the new national stadium in Tirana at the time) before taking a water taxi to Valbonë before eventually heading into Kosovo.

Although, I had been in Stuttgart for a music festival, I flew into Tirana from Bologna on a budget airline, and took a furgon up to Shkodër.

I can't believe there will be any issues with regards tickets. They didn't even sell out the Turkey match.

And much more affordable than bloody Iceland!

Or you could check the Bari ferry to Durres. I was there a few months before the earthquake in 2019 but I'm assuming Durres is back to normal now.

Yeah, of course there are options. I was more meaning to comment on the likely appetite of fans for the combination of cost and indirect flights / ferries / bus / taxi, combined with the cost. 

Match tix absolutely won’t be a problem.

If I were to guess now, I’d say we’ll take max. 200-250 to Iceland, and 400-500 to Albania. 

17 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Yeah, of course there are options. I was more meaning to comment on the likely appetite of fans for the combination of cost and indirect flights / ferries / bus / taxi, combined with the cost. 

Match tix absolutely won’t be a problem.

If I were to guess now, I’d say we’ll take max. 200-250 to Iceland, and 400-500 to Albania. 

Thank was exactly my initial estimate.......for which I was ridiculed by some who think putting your name down for a ticket is the same as getting on a plane. 😄

My estimates at the outset were based 100% on a combination of the countries in question, the timescales and the logistics involved. Still believe that will be the absolute max. Too many people getting all starry eyed at the outset.

Nothing to do with me thinking we couldn't command a big away support under the right circumstances. For example, if we were in Killie's position i.e. Belgium with a few weeks notice, we'd have taken big numbers. 

Albania would be better for the fans, but not the team due to the high temperature when the game is played.

Iceland would be better for the team, but not the fans due to the high cost involved.

I need to support Valur tonight cause i really want them in the next round. 

Sorry fans.