The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Not the worst draw. While I am no expert on Scandinavian or Dutch football, looking at the players they have at their disposal neither Brann nor Go Ahead Eagles look unbeatable.

We obviously need to focus on Valur first.

Just now, Ric said:

Not the worst draw. While I am no expert on Scandinavian or Dutch football, looking at the players they have at their disposal neither Brann nor Go Ahead Eagles look unbeatable.

We obviously need to focus on Valur first.

if it’s the eagles then it’s a dream draw 😊 i have been to deventer and it’s a great city with coffee shops galore ☕

if it’s bergen then not so good but would still go in case it’s the end of europe for us

11 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Long-term Iceland resident, Marc McAusland on Valur (17 minutes in): 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0jcrnbv?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

Kiss of death. Reckons it should be "comfortable" for us. 

I am sure has a ticket for Thursday, how many years has he had a season ticket, been a SMISA member, gone to away games etc?  😛

6 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

if it’s the eagles then it’s a dream draw 😊 i have been to deventer and it’s a great city with coffee shops galore ☕

I've never been to Deventer although I must have gone past it enough times, as I spent several years just cruising around Europe.

I didn't realise that was where Go Ahead Eagles were based.

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Prospect of a possible game in Deventer is stirring things here. I could walk/short ferry to the North Tyneside ferry terminal, DFDS overnight to Amsterdam, 2hr40 train to Deventer. Looks a piece of piss. 

90 mins on the train to amsterdam bud

Right…..it’s one thing to take an interest in the draw (that’s acceptable), but can we all agree now we won’t start any travel routes or accommodation chat for Bergen or Deventer until we’ve beaten Valur?

It’s all starting to feel a bit Connah’s Quay/Belgrade. 😬😬😬

1 minute ago, Buddie Holly said:

it could be rather confusing if there’s any trouble

”come ahead go ahead”

I don't know why I did this, but I wanted to know what the literal Dutch translation of their name was..

N8q86sm.png

So there's that. I don't know if that's true, every time I tried to speak Dutch to people they took the piss. A very sarcastic lot the Dutch.

4 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Seen this on Twitter or X or whatever it’s called.

There was a good quality YouTube live stream of Valur v Vllaznia. It has been removed now but I'm pretty sure it was the Solidsport channel:

https://youtube.com/@solidsport-official?si=J_Bwn20Eat8SFOrG

Fingers crossed the game will appear there.

16 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

They'll be trying to open a club shop at this mob's ground next

All part of the plan……along with having the media tap up their best players for us, demand all their stands, sing our party songs and destroy their town centre. 

8 minutes ago, Torfason said:

All part of the plan……along with having the media tap up their best players for us, demand all their stands, sing our party songs and destroy their town centre. 

I'm still not over the entire country stealing our chant that time so I'll be glad to see them put in their place.

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

No thank you.

As we've discussed before at length, I started attending home and away every week in 1994 at 10 and did so for about 20 years. I probably missed less than a dozen games in that time during the absolute worst spell in the club's entire history and came back for more.

That doesn't make me more or less of a supporter than anyone else, but I feel it certainly doesn't automatically entitle folk who go to every game during these very good times, a ticket over myself who nowadays has to pick and choose on both a financial and moreso a timing basis and as a result, only makes around 7-8 away games a season now. Though I am paying for two season tickets and two away tickets for my part now.

I've stuck the hours in over the years and introduced one the next generation to the club when she could easily have been heading to Parkhead on the weekly with her dad, given she also has a seat reserved there that she has no interest in using. I would feel not a shred of guilt about securing a ticket over anyone who was in Dingwall twice last season, nor should they feel any guilt over getting one ahead of me. It is what it is.

Fair enough respect your opinion mate I just felt sorry hearing that some fans had not managed to get a ticket and how much it meant to them. It’s just my opinion that’s all

Go Ahead Eagles sounds like a great trip, if it's them.

One word of caution, the Dutch police place all European games as high risk - it's the reason we only got 1,300 tickets for the AZ game a couple of years back despite asking for significantly more (the stadium was 1/3 empty) - and AZ willing to give more. So you may only receive around 500 for Deventer.

There's one added bonus and I know this is waay getting ahead of ourselves here, but if it is Go Ahead Eagles and you're able to get past them, St Mirren will be seeded in the Playoff Round and avoid the likes of Chelsea, Fiorentina, Real Betis and Copenhagen.

5 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

There's one added bonus and I know this is waay getting ahead of ourselves here, but if it is Go Ahead Eagles and you're able to get past them, St Mirren will be seeded in the Playoff Round and avoid the likes of Chelsea, Fiorentina, Real Betis and Copenhagen.

Chelsea will be relieved to avoid us at that stage !!

🤣